Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2008, 07:35 AM
camisha

Comet Holmes? (I think)

Hi there - I have a couple of images of what I now believe to be Comet Holmes that I saw at dawn on about 16 November 2007. The images were only taken with my phone as by the time I came inside to get a camera and put new batteries in it, the comet wasn't as visible.
I stumbled across your site trying to find out exactly what I saw that morning. I've now blown up the images and would like to know how to post them.
Ok - I've just seen the attach button so here goes.
Enjoy!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comet (691).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	37266

Name:	Comet (2).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	37267

Name:	Comet (3).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	37269

Name:	Comet (4).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	37270
Old 20-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Karlsson

Camisha -

Interesting pictures indeed - but it is very unlikely that we're looking at Comet 17P/Holmes . By the looks of it the photos were taken around 6:00 in an ESE direction, assuming that it was near Melbourne...

On 16 November Holmes set at around 2:45 in the North - and it never rose any higher than 2°. This would have made it a real stretch to see it so low over the horizon, given that it is now a a rather fuzzy faint object...

While there were some comets around that area at the time I reckon they were all too faint to be seen at sunrise.

A distant aircraft perhaps?
Old 20-01-2008, 08:37 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi camisha and welcome!

Can you describe exactly what you saw? Did the light across in the sky.

Also what was the time? It looks like about 15-20 minutes before dawn.

And you are looking almost East from Melbourne?

Probably not Comet Holmes, but rather a satellite - we can try to work out which one. Might even be an aeroplane reflecting the sunlight. Still, we can check out where the comet was at that time.

Eric
Old 20-01-2008, 08:38 AM
CoombellKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by camisha View Post
Hi there - I have a couple of images of what I now believe to be Comet Holmes that I saw at dawn on about 16 November 2007. The images were only taken with my phone as by the time I came inside to get a camera and put new batteries in it, the comet wasn't as visible.
Well I can tell you one thing it isn't Holmes, as Holmes is in the north and
moving very slowly and has almost zero tail. Looks more like con-trails from
an aircraft. Or maybe space junk burning up on re-entry or even an Iridium flare
but I'm not convenced of the later either

regards,CS
Old 20-01-2008, 09:05 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Just checked, Venus would have been bright in the sky, but north of the sunrise. It also wouldn't have produced a streak of light. So something moving in the sky, either reflecting sunlight, or perhaps something burning up in re-entry.

I'm interested in why a mobile phone camera shows a streak. Would a mobile phone camera take a long exposure? I don't think so, and the focus of the clouds and trees does not suggest a long exposure hand-held photo. Hence it really is a streak in the sky - that suggests a burning trail rather than a moving object reflecting light?

Camisha, how quickly did you get the four photos? I see you did zoom in between them.
Old 21-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Outbackmanyep

Looks interesting, it's possibly not a trailed planet Ie: Venus, definitely NOT a comet, could be a plane although it5 is moving fast, or could be a vapour trail, the angle of the sunlight has convinced me its a reflection of sunlight off vapour trails left by aircraft, they do look comet like as i have seen heaps from my location!

Camisha, how quickly did this move? Was it easily seen to be moving with naked eye?
Old 21-01-2008, 07:31 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Where was the international space station at that time?