Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2005, 09:05 PM
madge
Fresh Blood

Talking New girl

In the immortal words of Sergeant Schultz, "I know noooothing". I'm brand new at this, and you guys are talking a foreign language as far as I'm concerned. However, my husband gave me a telescope for Christmas (because I've wanted one for ages) and now I have to figure out how to make the most of it. I'll visit here on a regular basis and try to get some pointers.
Old 13-01-2005, 09:25 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Madge! Glad you took the time to sign up, we're all here to help and get you past the steep learning curve..

First things first..

What type of scope is it?
Brand name? Stickers on it? Anything to identify it?

From there, we can help you to make the most out of it!

You'll be stargazing in no time!
Old 13-01-2005, 09:37 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Madge,

Welcome to the gang.

As to your telescope . . . do you look through it and it has a glass lense at the front of it (Refractor), or does it have a big open hole in the front end and you look in the side of it?(Reflector).

How's that for not using a foreign language. lol.
Old 13-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Welcome Madge.

When I first got my scope, I had little idea of where to point it or what to look at What I did was scan the milky way with binoculars and if i saw anything that stood out I pointed the scope at it. Not a bad way to start

Don't be scared to ask questions

Last edited by Starkler; 13-01-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 13-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

HI Madge...welcome....

Dont worry being new to astronomy as we have a few new members to astronomy including me...I started about a week before Christmas and everyone has been very helpful....

Please post any question you may have no matter how Noob it sounds.....

Most of what is said in here is all Chinese to me but you pick up on small things that turn into larger things at a later date..

Good luck and enjoy....
Old 14-01-2005, 03:07 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Welcome to the group Madge.
Old 14-01-2005, 08:29 AM
madge
Fresh Blood

Thanks for the welcome guys. As to my telescope, it appears to be a refractor (according to Ballaratdragons' comments). It's a "Bushmaster Super Zoom ZT3090 Terrestrial Telescope", but the driving instructions leave a lot to be desired. I've basically figured out how to point it in the right direction, but can someone please tell me what the purpose of the optical tube is. The driving instructions tell you how to assemble it to the 'scope, but ignores it from thereon. But I'm very grateful for their warning that if I look directly at the sun it will cause "instant and irreversible eye damage" (d'uh). I look forward to learning more, and if I can find an astronomy class somewhere, I'll go.
Old 14-01-2005, 08:37 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the info Madge..

What type of mount and tripod is it on?

Alt/az - fixed mount, swivel left/right up/down to point it.

or

Equatorial - moves in a fixed direction to follow the stars across the sky.

I'm guessing it's alt/az, but just want to make sure..

Can you take any pictures of it and post them?

Quote:
but can someone please tell me what the purpose of the optical tube is
What do you mean? The refracting telescope is built inside a long tube.. it has a lens at one end and an eyepiece at the other.. The tube is long because of the focal length of the lens.

It should have a smaller tube as well, called a "finderscope" which attaches to the top of your main tube. It's basically just a smaller telescope with less magnification, which helps you "find" (hence the name) the object at low magnification before looking through the eyepiece at the higher magnification.

Does it come with eyepieces, or is it a plain spotting scope?

Maybe the 3090 means 30x magnification and a 90mm lens? I'll try and find some specs or pictures on the 'net..
Old 14-01-2005, 08:46 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

ahh found it..

http://www.bushmaster.com.au/product...egoryserial=11

The 3090 means 30x - 90x zoom magnification, and it's got a 60mm objective lens. It doesn't come with any eyepieces.

It really is a terrestrial spotting scope for bird watching etc, but you will still be able to use it (albiet in a limited capacity) as an astronomical telescope, but it will be difficult.

It doesn't have a "diagonal", which means if you're pointing it straight up, you have to basically sit underneath it - not an ideal viewing position. A diagonal is a 45degree angled mirror to reflect the image up, so that you're looking down into it, rather than "along the tube".

You will be able to use it to look at the moon and maybe jupiter and saturn, but it's unlikely you'll be able to use it to look at much Deep Space stuff.. I hope it doesn't put you off this great hobby, it might be enough to get you started and then want something a bit more suited to astronomical viewing a bit down the track..

I hope i've helped, please let us know if you have any more question!
Old 14-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Here's the link... I did a search....is this the one Madge.

http://www.bushmaster.com.au/product...egoryserial=11

Bloody Iceman beat me....grrrrrr oh well 2 links are better then 1...lol..
Old 14-01-2005, 08:47 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Beat you to it Tony
Old 14-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Comet Hunter

Welcome Madge

Looks very similar to my first scope, 'cept I think mine was a Tasco, same legs and all - You know its true Santa really does know what kids want for xmas, I was only 10 or so at the time. Had many a great night under the skies with it, still remember the first time I ever seen Saturn through it.

When aligning the smaller finder scope to the main tube, I found the easiest way was to go out side in the late afternoon - OUT OF THE SUN - where you can see an object as far as way as possible - the further away it is the accurate it'll be, I used to used power poles. Locate the distant object in your telescope and tighten the screws/bolts so the object wont move out of view in the eyepiece while you are aligning the smaller scope (if using a power pole make sure you align on the same pole - I once used two poles )

Once you have the finderscope aligned play around with the eyepeice(s) and focusing and also practice 'finding' the distant object again using the finderscope to become familiar with how the scope works, cause once you're out in the dark its a whole new challenge.

Then once its dark and the stars are out shining brightly go out and have fun and enjoy the views.
Old 14-01-2005, 10:50 AM
rumples riot
Who knows

Welcome Madge to a whole new obsession. This hobby has a habit of grabbing hold of you and not letting go. I hope that you enjoy your new scope and that this leads to bigger and better things.

Welcome to our site.
Old 14-01-2005, 11:55 AM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Hello Madge and welcome to our friendly little group. Finally, another girl!!! So that gives you a double welcome from me! Woo-hoo! Soon, we will rule this forum and from then on, wolrd domination....ahem, did I say that out loud???
Don't worry about the foreigness of it all Madge, we all started down the same road. All you need is a lot of patience and do always ask questions, that is what we are all here for.
Great idea about joining a class. There are a few reputable aussie classes that are online based you might want to look at:
Swinburne University is one of them. Or you could even join your local astronomy club.
Hey Striker, as for everything being in chinese, I still wouldn't be able to understand it, even though that's what I supposedly speak at home....
Old 14-01-2005, 01:36 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Welcome Madge.

It may be an idea to find one of the Astronomy clubs close to where you are and go along to an observing night. Visitors are very welcome and people are usually very happy to show you the ropes and that will help you get a handle on where to go from there
Old 14-01-2005, 09:05 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hey Madge,

If you can't find an astronomy club, try this link:

www.sky-watch.com/links/clubs_au.html

Good Luck.
Old 14-01-2005, 09:38 PM
madge
Fresh Blood

Wow, I'm amazed at the responses. You guys are great!

Iceman, you're right. It is the spotter scope I was rattling on about. I did say the driving instructions left a lot to be desired!

The only club I've been able to find so far is in North Sydney, which is a bit far for me. I'm in the south-western suburbs. But I am not to be deterred. I will figure it all out somehow.

I have to go to Melbourne for a week to nurse my sick sister tomorrow, but will be back as soon as I get home. Hopefully by then we'll have clear skies. Thunderstorms right now.
Old 14-01-2005, 09:47 PM
madge
Fresh Blood

Sorry Iceman, I meant finderscope, not spotter scope. Yes, your link to me to the right one. I expect it will be enough for me at this stage, until I figure out whether I want to take it any further. I notice it can be an expensive hobby.

I flicked through some of the newsletters from the North Sydney Astrological Society today, and it's all very technical. I might have to go back to school.

Catch you all when I get back from Melbourne.
Old 18-01-2005, 03:32 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hi madge
welcome to the forum!
Old 18-01-2005, 05:13 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally posted by madge
North Sydney Astrological Society .
bite your tongue!
that's Astronomical I hope!
Iceman is a member of North Sydney AS and they meet in a golf course somewhere in the North shore

There a sutherland astronomical society and they have an observatory at Green Point with visitors nights on thurdays I think..you may find this more convenient