Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Spider and a Helix thrown in

I realised I used the wrong darks (300 sec darks instead of 180 secs) on my tarantula image posted a few days ago, redid the stacking etc and it is a much better result.
Also did 4 hours on the Helix nebula the same night earlier in that evening.
Helix was 300 secs x 40.
I just wish Melbourne's weather was cooperative so I could do say 4 nights in a row of data acquisition. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for mono users to finish a project.

L-Extreme filter used all round.

Astrobin Versions
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (spider rgb 2F small.jpg)
207.8 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (Helix.jpg)
63.7 KB51 views

Last edited by Nikolas; 01-10-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 30-09-2021, 12:57 PM
gregbradley

Terrific images Nik. The Tarantula area really looks great with a widefield view.

You must have stayed up late to catch the Tarantula. Its really only now just rising.

Greg.
Old 30-09-2021, 01:06 PM
AdamJL

These are both fantastic!!
The core of that Tarantula looks perfect. Did you stack multiple exposure times to get that core exposed correctly, or just one exposure time?

And the Helix is amazing. That is so hard to shoot!!

You need to give an image processing tutorial, please. I use that same filter and can't get anything like that Tarantula image. And your stars aren't blue or red in the Helix?! Seriously, please give a tutorial Join the ranks of YouTubers sharing knowledge!!
Old 30-09-2021, 05:05 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Yes, both are exceptional, and with a 5D mk2 !!!, thats amazing, amongst the best ive seen with a DSLR (im guessing its modded?)!!! and that L-extreme filter looks to be the ducks guts, so convenient, 2 narrowband images at the same time!.
Old 30-09-2021, 06:32 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Yes, both are exceptional, and with a 5D mk2 !!!, thats amazing, amongst the best ive seen with a DSLR (im guessing its modded?)!!! and that L-extreme filter looks to be the ducks guts, so convenient, 2 narrowband images at the same time!.
No that was with the 294mc Pro not the dslr I save that for ultra wide fields
Thanks though
Old 30-09-2021, 09:05 PM
JA

Very nicely done Nik. An Excellent pair of images

The images seem quite clean in the background which is always great. I'm wondering if, in addition to good exposure duration, #subs & processing, that's perhaps also the result of your using dithering, or not, and/or if you have any impressions of the ZWO 294mc pro used with and without dithering and if you notice any significant differences? Thx

Best
JA
Old 01-10-2021, 10:33 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

That's an excellent NGC 2070 - with appropriately spooky colours and fine details, well done!
Old 01-10-2021, 10:36 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Very nicely done Nik. An Excellent pair of images

The images seem quite clean in the background which is always great. I'm wondering if, in addition to good exposure duration, #subs & processing, that's perhaps also the result of your using dithering, or not, and/or if you have any impressions of the ZWO 294mc pro used with and without dithering and if you notice any significant differences? Thx

Best
JA

I always use dithering regardless of which camera as the shots do come out a lot cleaner, I don't use flats however but I should. (too lazy) Instead I use gradient exterminator or in some circumstances Use masking layers to eliminate gradients, as for noise I am very sparing in its application.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
That's an excellent NGC 2070 - with appropriately spooky colours and fine details, well done!

Thanks Andy. When I realised I used the wrong darks library I fixed it and got more out of it.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:44 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Terrific images Nik. The Tarantula area really looks great with a widefield view.

You must have stayed up late to catch the Tarantula. Its really only now just rising.

Greg.

Thanks Greg
I did stay up late for that one to begin with then went to bed
The helix I started at 8 pm and finished that up at midnight then started on tarantula around 1 am (school holidays so had more time) I set up the asiair to finish after 3 hours then it returns to home position and switches itself off. I got up after 4 and went outside and covered the scope with a bbq cover till the morning. I think in total got 4 hours sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
These are both fantastic!!
The core of that Tarantula looks perfect. Did you stack multiple exposure times to get that core exposed correctly, or just one exposure time?

And the Helix is amazing. That is so hard to shoot!!

You need to give an image processing tutorial, please. I use that same filter and can't get anything like that Tarantula image. And your stars aren't blue or red in the Helix?! Seriously, please give a tutorial Join the ranks of YouTubers sharing knowledge!!
Hahaha thanks Adam that Helix needs lots and lots of hours but as it passes the meridian near my place the city is towards the west so the city lights don't do it justice. I need consecutive nights to do this target justice. I will work out how to do a processing video just not with the amount of work in lockdown currently
for the Tarantula core I did it selectively each stretch, then a layer mask to paint over the core, further stretch then another layer mask and paint over this way the core is balanced, you can then feather the details in to balance it all out.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:16 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I always use dithering regardless of which camera as the shots do come out a lot cleaner, I don't use flats however but I should. (too lazy) Instead I use gradient exterminator or in some circumstances Use masking layers to eliminate gradients, as for noise I am very sparing in its application.
Thanks for the info Nik

Best
JA