Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
UFO

GSO 10" Dob Deluxe or Super Deluxe

This is my first post and I am a complete novice in astonomy.
I like to get a 10" GSO Dob from andrewscom. This is after reading various posts.
They have 2 models, deluxe and super deluxe (arriving soon).

Should I get the deluxe or super deluxe?
My understanding is that the eyepieces that come with the super deluxe are of standard/mediocre quality but not great? With the difference in price ($130) will I be better off getting a good quality eyepiece?
I don't know what adjustable super deluxe tension is and if the deluxe model also has something similar?
I live in Perth and the shipping cost for a 10" is between $80-$100.

I also can get skywatcher in Perth for simlar price because I don't have to pay the shipping cost.
http://www.telescopeshop.com.au/Dobs...er_Dobsonians/

But it seems to me that more people like the GSO better.
To be honest I have no idea if I will get into the hobby seriously but I like to start on the right path.

Your advise will be appreactiated. Thanks.

Last edited by UFO; 04-08-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
HawkeyeDaNew (Rob)

I'm in the exact same boat as you mate, and, even in Perth!

Glad you displayed this site, i'm in the market for a scope too! and a complete novice to boot!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Adsyadsman (Adam)

Hey guys,

Im thinking similarly...

Personally, if your not sure if astronomy is for you, go for the GSO dob over a SW. It's just as good as the SW, it's cheaper, and it's lighter so if you wanted to go further you can mount it on an GEM later with some rings (also available from Andrews) or sell it to someone else and freight costs will be down

Regarding the difference between the Deluxe and Super Deluxe... I thought it is just the extra eyepieces. They both have the same base (someone correct me if Im wrong) and the new ones arriving soon at Andrews will have the adjustable tension bases.

Personally, Im looking at the Deluxe Dob and maybe a couple of Ba'ader Hyperion eyepieces (available from Andrews also)

You'd think I was an Andrews Comm salesman or something... just a plug, but they are a great bunch...very helpful
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM
UFO

Deluxe version includes a straight- through 8 x 50 finderscope, a 2" Crayford style focuser with a 2" to 1.25" adaptor and GSO 9mm and 25mm 1.25" Plossl eyepieces.

Super Deluxe version includes a right-angle correct image 8 x 50 finderscope,2" Crayford style microfocuser with 10:1 fine focusing and a 2" to 1.25" adaptor, fan, GSO 6mm, 9mm, 15mm and 25mm 1.25" Plossl eyepieces - and a bonus SP32mm 2" eyepiece, too!
That's five high quality eyepieces included (not just two or three)!!

The super deluxe seems to come with a lot more stuff.
I called the shop and they recommended me to wait for the super deluxe which should be arriving soon. I will probably get the super deluxe simply because if I get more eyepiece or accessories later I will have to spend more on shipping cost.
But until the super deluxe model arrives I'll keep reading/searching.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 PM
StarLane
Futurist

For me, I would go for the Super Deluxe, not becasuse of the EP's, but the 10:1 micro focuser, it's a must, especially for planetary viewing but also everything else at med to high mag. The right angle finder scope is also a great addition. The EP's included are OK to get started, but not the best in the long term, they are not a selling point, even if one mob offers five and the other offers three, they are just average performing included eye pieces to get you into the hobby. If you find that you enjoy astronomy (I'm sure you will), you will invest in better EP's down the track and these ones you will never use again. Go the Super Deluxe just for the 10:1 Crayford style focuser and the right angle finder.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

The right angle correct image finder and the 10:1 focuser are worth the extra money... the 32mm 2" EP is actually a reasonable low power EP, and for a beginner just looking to test the astronomy waters, spending up big on a top quality EP might not be a good idea...

The 10:1 will make focusing a whole lot easier at high magnification, and the RACI finder will make star hopping less of a pain in the neck....

I'd go super-deluxe... As a matter of fact, Im buying a super deluxe 12" sooner or later...
Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 AM
UFO

Thanks guys for the information.
I'll wait for the super deluxe version to arrive.

By the way, do you guys go to bed pretty late? It's past midnight where you are.
I am an owl myself and I hope I still have enough sleep after I get a telescope.
I used to get so tired during the day when I was on HAM radio. That was long time ago but.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:10 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I work afternoon shifts, start at 2:00pm, finish at 10:30pm... this is my mid~late afternoon stage of the day

Makes astronomy very easy!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:13 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

oh, but at a guess, after you get your dob, your sleeping patterns will go out the window... provided the sky gods dont realize you just bought astronomy gear... If they do, you can expect at least 3 days of rain for a 10" dob... I managed to slip my 8" dob past without them noticing, but when i got my EQ mount they made up for it with 8 days straight of rain... (I am solely responsible for the recent easing of brisbanes water restrictions..)
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 AM
UFO

Looking at the weather in the last 3 weeks here in Perth, someone bought a pretty big telescope.

I am looking for a good beginner's book.
Maybe I will start with the complete idiot's guide to astronomy.
Do you have a favourite book for beginner?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Tilt (Michael)

I bought a 10" GSO dob (the one with the 10:1 focuser) a couple of months ago, and I'm very happy with it. Views are great, I wasn't expecting too much for $500 but the optics are fantastic, nice and sharp.

The 10:1 focuser is well worth it.

Michael
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Get the works

Hi,

Get all the bits. You pay a bit more but the pain fades and you still have the goodies.

I bought a bog-standard 12" dob here on IIS for-sale forum, and I soon thought to myself "I'd like a 10:1, and a RA finder", and this and that. It has been terrific fun, if I could find another bit to hang on it I would.

So even if you take an economic decision it will not be long before you are thinking of buying these optional bits. It is part of the fun to go shopping and come home with that look in your eye. So, I am saying you will buy these extras anyway!!

As for where to buy from, I think there might be something in having a local source, someone you can visit if there are any difficulties. There is not much in it though IMHO. Your main odyssey judging by my experience and that of others will be the collimation journey, however, it is not that difficult really.

On the eyepieces, I will put forward an opinion, low-cost Plossls in 15mm and above are not too bad really to start with. If you want to spend any extra, get a wide field high power EP or two, such as a Baader Hyperion 8mm and 17mm or so. There is a lot of choice really.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2008, 02:12 PM
UFO

Thanks guys.
Yes I will get the super deluxe.
The 10:1 focuser seems to be very important according to all the threads that I read here.

By the way I think we should move the conversation to following thread since we are talking about the same things. Thanks again.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=34603
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 AM
UFO

Today Andrewscom changed the info on the GSO 8" super deluxe. Is now due to arrive in Oct/Nov and the price has gone up to $499.

The current deluxe version is $299.

This makes Bintel price more attractive since the 8" Dob comes with 10:1 fine focus Crayford focuser and 8x50 90° Correct Image Finderscope for $429 and available now.

So really how important is this 10:1 fine focus and 90° Correct Image Finderscope? I really have no idea.

What is NEW Adjustable Super Deluxe (ASDX) adjustable tension 8" Dob?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Today Andrewscom changed the info on the GSO 8" super deluxe. Is now due to arrive in Oct/Nov and the price has gone up to $499.

The current deluxe version is $299.

This makes Bintel price more attractive since the 8" Dob comes with 10:1 fine focus Crayford focuser and 8x50 90° Correct Image Finderscope for $429 and available now.

So really how important is this 10:1 fine focus and 90° Correct Image Finderscope? I really have no idea.

Oh the joys of currency fluctuations...

With respect to the New Adjustable tension thingamajiggy...I would speculate (and this is only a guess) that GSO will ultimately switch away from the springs to the Adjustable tensioners like on their "Lightbridge like" dobs...but again, this is only a guess...
Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

UFO, i to live in perth and have recently gone though all this heartache of trying to figure out what i was going to do, The prices that they show up on the net are not that correct, because when i talked to andrewscom they didn't know what the price of the new tension modle would be, but they where quoting that the super dulux was going to be around 700 maby a little more (thats for the GSO 10"). I have settled on a 10" Skywatcher from BTOW in malaga for 50 bucks more than what they guessing price of the 10" GSO is minus the shipping the sw comes out cheaper plus you have that added benifit of on site experience advice not to mention a few nice little features that the sw wins in like the pyrex glass that makes viewing straight up a lot easier and quicker instead of waiting for a hour for your mirror to cool down... (so you can just drag it out and view with the 15 min you have spare)

Like some of the people here have already said, 10:1 is the shiznit because if you have ever tried to pull the rings off jupiter with a normal rack n pinion... its not easy and one little slip forward and your gone again! as for all the eye pieces just my opinion ide save the 130 odd and go get yourself a ED Barlow or a telerad (a 1x magnification with a nice rectical) gets you in the right area before you move to your finderscope.

Don't get me wrong GSO is great bang for buck, but when you have to ship it accross Oz there are others that have the same bang for buck... When are we getting a GSO retailer in perth?

Brendan
Old 07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post

Hi,

With a DOB they are the two first things to get, you will not regret it.

Cheers