Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Rodneyoz (Rodney)

Post The 2008 Perseid Meteor Shower

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group but have been trying for years to view the Perseid Meteor Shower.

This year the peak (I am told) will be August 12th, but can I have, in plain English, Where should I be looking and When?

I haven't yet managed to get my head around the various teminology.

Much Appreciated,

Rod
Old 23-07-2008, 12:09 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

you might be out of luck - the perseids although occuring about august 12 are best viewed from the Nth Hemisphere, they originate from the constellation perseus, which at 3:00m is just below the horizon if you are a southerner. if you live in QLD/NT you have a better chance of being able to view something.
the radiant is perseus constellation, meaning they originate from here but will can occur over a large area of the sky.

best to pick one of the other major annual showers
Old 23-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Yep, you're most likely too far south. If the radiant doesn't clear your horizon you don't see the shower. I know the Perseids get a lot of press as it is a good shower and it occurs during the northern hemisphere summer (which means they wont freeze to death in the snow) but poor us down here miss out. (one day I'll get up to there to watch them, my sister has the perfect place away from light pollution in the US.)

Best to try some other showers that we do get to see down here, such as the eta Aquarids in early May and the Geminids around Dec 13/14. The Orionids in October usually throws some good fireballs even if rates are lowish.
Old 23-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Rodneyoz (Rodney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Yep, you're most likely too far south. If the radiant doesn't clear your horizon you don't see the shower. I know the Perseids get a lot of press as it is a good shower and it occurs during the northern hemisphere summer (which means they wont freeze to death in the snow) but poor us down here miss out. (one day I'll get up to there to watch them, my sister has the perfect place away from light pollution in the US.)

Best to try some other showers that we do get to see down here, such as the eta Aquarids in early May and the Geminids around Dec 13/14. The Orionids in October usually throws some good fireballs even if rates are lowish.
Thanks to Jacquie and Daniel.

Yep, Right time, wrong place every time I think. Yes, I will take your suggestions of other showers and find an optimum viewing area.

Much appreciated.

Rodney