Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-07-2008, 11:40 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Skywatcher 10" dobs?

Hello all,

Im in the market for a new telescope, now as a rule I am a noob! though i have had access to some great equipment, (thanks curtin university). I have been reading the threds about the GSO 10" and that its pretty good, though i would like to know from you guys if the skywatcher 10" is as good if not better. My future plans once i have gotten used to the stars and where they are is to mount what ever dob i have onto a GEM (prolly a EQ 6) or something of that nature. Your thoughts on this would be appriciated.

also cost is a important part, but if it means that i pay a extra couple of bucks to get what is fundementally better, i wont hesitate!

thanks all
Brendan
Old 27-07-2008, 11:55 AM
danielsun
Canon collector

I personally prefer the Saxon/Skywatchers(same scope, different names)
Have a read through this,
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...t=34045&page=2

Cheers Daniel.
Old 27-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

The Skywatcher 10" is excellent for the money. I've looked through a few of them and had a good time with them. But they do have an added weight at the mirror end (presumably to help balance the scope without adding height to the base) and I don't know how this would go if you put it on a GEM, it will surely affect the performance of the mount. If you plan to go to a GEM later the GSO might be the better option. Perhaps others have tried this and will add their experiences here.
Old 27-07-2008, 02:35 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

I have read this, the difference is that with such a large scope cool down times are greatly improved by the use of Pyrex glass, with its low CoE. plus the use of a Crayford 10:1 focuser instead of the Crayford style focuser! thats what im looking for. Also in saying this the difference with supplied peices, i have read in alot of places that the cheaper eyepeices that don't use the ED glass arnt that great. My current telescope was given to me and its a 100 dollar dikies special! when i got it the collimnation was up the creek the thing had back lash like a car crash victim and to boot the cover for the OTA was never put in place hence there was a layer of dust that could rival the best attic's! :S So i want something that is going to be.... Good not just alright! ive suffered enough
Old 27-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
I have read this, the difference is that with such a large scope cool down times are greatly improved by the use of Pyrex glass, with its low CoE. plus the use of a Crayford 10:1 focuser instead of the Crayford style focuser! thats what im looking for. Also in saying this the difference with supplied peices, i have read in alot of places that the cheaper eyepeices that don't use the ED glass arnt that great. My current telescope was given to me and its a 100 dollar dikies special! when i got it the collimnation was up the creek the thing had back lash like a car crash victim and to boot the cover for the OTA was never put in place hence there was a layer of dust that could rival the best attic's! :S So i want something that is going to be.... Good not just alright! ive suffered enough
Hi,

The GSO's also use a 10:1 crayford focusser. It used to be an option but now i think they include it in the price. As far as eyepieces are concerned whether you buy a GSO or a Skywatcher you are paying for the scope and they are essentially giving away the eyepieces; GSO or Skywatcher the eyepieces are equally good or bad . Whenever you buy your first decent eyepiece it will perform better than the ones that came with the scope.

You will need to learn to collimate so the original state of the collimation is irrelevant, as is the dust. Your only relevant concern is the Pyrex mirror blank. If you think that is a good enough reason then pay the extra 250 AUD? for the skywatcher.

Cheers
Paul
Old 28-07-2008, 10:20 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

this maybe correct when your over in the eastern states but due to the weight of the telescope it isn't cheap to get it over here. I have prices over here at the 749 bracket for the skywatcher, and 649 for the GSO? is the GSO worth shipping over for the same price? This is my main problem. and im not sure about the 10:1 Crayford focusser, i have only ever seen it equipped with a Crayford "style" focusser. ... its sooooo confussing sometimes!
Old 28-07-2008, 12:46 PM
prova

GSO/Bintel 12" Dob and you can mount that on a EQ6 Pro at a later stage.
Old 28-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Zuts

Hi,

The Bintel 10 incher is 599 AUD and also clearly states it has a 10:1 crayford.

https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm

The andrews GSO 12 inch is 749 AUD for the super deluxe model. It includes a 10:1 crayford. If you are unsure then ring and ask. Unfortunately they are sold out of the 10 incher.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

I am not sure what pph to W.A would be.

Cheers
Paul
Old 29-07-2008, 12:11 AM
PCH (Paul)

Skywatcher stuff usually ships free to anywhere in Oz I believe

Cheers,
Old 29-07-2008, 10:29 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

both of andrews 10" and 12" are not avalible because of the new tension handle modle coming though, as said by the owner himself the 10" super dulux mod will be around the 699 price which will be cheeper than Bintel. This is my question, pricing aside, is the GSO better than a Skywatcher and should i be able to mount it onto a GEM come time?
Old 29-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Zuts

Hi,

People do mount 12 inchers on EQ6 mounts but mainly for planetary. I think a beginner and an EQ6 mounted 12 inch DOB would not be a happy story. Of course if you want a more expensive mount 5000 AUD, like a G11 then you would have better success.

If you stick with a 10 incher then you will have no problems on an EQ6 class mount, plenty of people on these forums have done it.

Cheers
Paul
Old 29-07-2008, 07:37 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

the 10" is what i was going to go for originally, for the main reason that it will fit across the back seat of my little mazda mx6
Old 31-07-2008, 01:09 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

Thanks all for your comments. I have decided on the skywatcher as pricing difference and local supply's ended up winning the day. As i have read the optics on the skywatcher are slightly better plus a better build quality. Now i just have to get some clear skys