Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-01-2008, 03:23 PM
mark3d

80mm refractor mount on a camera tripod / tripod missing quick-release plate

hi all, a couple of quick questions!

1. when they say the L mount (of the W.O. Zenithstar II 80mm refractor) can attach to a camera tripod, do they mean it screws on to the same bolt as a camera? i.e. the bolt on the tripod quick-release plate?

2. the tripod is pretty good - feels heavy and study, but it is missing a quick release plate. it doesnt have a brand mentioned anywhere so i cant just buy a new quick-release plate for brand X, model Y. do i just have to try to get lucky finding another quick-release plate to fit?

i really want to use the tripod it would be a waste not to!

(i do have a lightweight tripod for my camera, i'm not sure it will be good for a scope though)

cheers!
Old 14-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Mark

My WO Megrez 80mm ED II has the “L” foot which has a ¼ inch threaded “hole” in the base which accepts the ¼ x20 bolt on my camera tripod.

I have collected a few tripods and tripod heads (Manfrotto, Velbon and Slik) over the years and each one has a different, removable mounting plate.

Can you post a close up photo of the tripod head, just in case someone may recognise the make/model?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 14-01-2008, 08:43 PM
mark3d

Gday Dennis - thanks for reading and your reply

the tripod is actually SAGA brand (i forgot about that). i just saw one on ebay for $5 lol - that is the only one ive ever seen - so maybe its not exactly as well known as a manfrotto

it looks like even manufacturers have a heap of different plates for their different models, so it's my guess the head at least is garage sale fodder.

whether its worth getting a cheap (inexpensive) mount for the tripod, or mount + tripod, i'll need to look into. we were already pushing the budget with OTA, diagonal, some EP's etc., maybe the cosmos is conspiring to make me get a dob i just know we would use the refractor more - it would go in the car with us anywhere.. so i'll persist for the moment!

thanks again

cheers
Mark
Old 23-01-2008, 06:39 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Hi Mark, I have a WO Zenithstar 66 with the L mount also (just bought it off here actualy thanks steve )
If your tripod has the threaded bolt still, even if the quick release is missing it should still screw on.

They are pretty uniform no matter the brand, and should serve well as a grab and go for a quick observing session.

Mine fits all of the 4 different el-cheapo tripods I have