Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-10-2021, 01:30 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Retiring to Queensland

Hi Everyone
I’ve interacted with many of you on iis and made many a good relationship so I thought it only fit to let you all know in April I’m retiring to Queensland to live my life out there so hopefully the ones who live there I know I will get to meet very exciting times for myself and my family

All the best to all
Old 24-10-2021, 02:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Welcome to ' GODS COUNTRY ' mate where the streets are paved in GOLD

Where the pastures are eternally green and glorious ' dark sites ' adorn the landscape.

Col...
Old 24-10-2021, 03:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Welcome to ' GODS COUNTRY ' mate where the streets are paved in GOLD

Where the pastures are eternally green and glorious ' dark sites ' adorn the landscape.

Col...
Not to mention the winderful people.
Alex
Old 24-10-2021, 03:39 PM
leon

Not quite Gold Col, but a nice place after all.

Leon
Old 24-10-2021, 03:39 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Col I’m looking forward to having a few beers with you as I love a drink and chew the fat we have interacted together for a long time and it’s time to meet the man, Pretty awesome
Old 24-10-2021, 04:33 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I got to watch my ' ticker ' mate .... Beer ( chicken juice I call it ...you lay where you drink ) doesn't agree with me too much , Scotch and Coke ...or ...Rum and Coke is better.

Col.
Old 24-10-2021, 04:48 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

No worries Col whatever suits
Old 24-10-2021, 04:50 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

first thing a,
when you get there a,
remember to end all sentences with a a...
Old 24-10-2021, 06:20 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
I got to watch my ' ticker ' mate .... Beer ( chicken juice I call it ...you lay where you drink ) doesn't agree with me too much , Scotch and Coke ...or ...Rum and Coke is better.

Col.
Sure is more flammable
Old 24-10-2021, 06:25 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Sure is more flammable
.... even Whiskey and Coke is good and Jack Lives Here ....!!
Old 24-10-2021, 06:40 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Love a drink i do but will be mindful when i have every day my own but when i go see Col i will let my hair down so to speak i am only 58 so still relatively young with all my faculties but have time consuming hobbies and a wife i enjoy being around i am a very lucky man and will never take it for granted
Old 24-10-2021, 08:02 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
Love a drink i do but will be mindful when i have every day my own but when i go see Col i will let my hair down so to speak i am only 58 so still relatively young with all my faculties but have time consuming hobbies and a wife i enjoy being around i am a very lucky man and will never take it for granted
Indeed, I loved to drink but mostly beer, I think its inbreeding amongst the fishing people...

Shortly after turning 50 I got Trigeminal neuralgia, and that is some wicked pain. So, it was either meds and no drinking or Trigeminal neuralgia, I took no drinking, it was bad enough to keep the regrets well in check.

So, life can change on a dime any day of the week.

All the best with QLD, I spent some very young years there, hopefully next year get to see Cairns. I'm trying to talk the missus in to the Atherton tables for a place to live and fish for our grey years.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 24-10-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 24-10-2021, 09:53 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Glad to hear you're heading to the place of "Beautiful one day Perfect the next.
You will also be welcome to the dark sky's of Cambroon Andrew.
Cheers.
Old 25-10-2021, 04:42 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Good lord...38years I lived there...then escaped. Probably good for retirement I guess.

Canberra...many hate it, we ADORE it. Such wonderful seeing for Astronomy too.
Old 25-10-2021, 04:57 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
Hi Everyone
I’ve interacted with many of you on iis and made many a good relationship so I thought it only fit to let you all know in April I’m retiring to Queensland to live my life out there so hopefully the ones who live there I know I will get to meet very exciting times for myself and my family

All the best to all
Hi Andrew,
All the best for your move just be prepared for the humidity if you’re going to be near the coast. We lived in Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast for 12 years, then headed to Jindabyne for a few years before retiring back in Canberra….

Matt
Old 25-10-2021, 05:01 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Only 12 Matt? Lightweight

I am still sure we passed each other at Emerald Woods etc...
Old 25-10-2021, 05:07 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Indeed, I loved to drink but mostly beer, I think its inbreeding amongst the fishing people...
Hi Steve,

How do you go fishing in Canberra? There aren't any "Saltwater" fish in Canberra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Shortly after turning 50 I got Trigeminal neuralgia, and that is some wicked pain. So, it was either meds and no drinking or Trigeminal neuralgia, I took no drinking, it was bad enough to keep the regrets well in check.
You should have looked for option C. One of my good friends did that and found it. He has a bad family history of diabetes. His father died from it at 43 and his brother and sister are both insulin dependent and have been for many years. He has been on tablets for about 15 years. His sugar levels continued to get worse despite the tablets. About years ago the doctor asked him how much he was drinking. He replied, "about 5 bottles of red wine a week and a case of beer". The Doctor said, "You'll have to stop drinking". He replied, "That isn't happening, I'd neck myself first". He asked the Doctor, if he could get a stronger tablet. The Doctor replied that he was already on the strongest tablet. He said to the Doctor, "no problem, I'll take 2 a day then." The Doctor said I've never heard of that but you could try it. 5 years down the track he is still taking 2 tablets a day and drinking to his hearts content, with sugar levels reasonably well controlled. At some point he will become daily insulin dependent, but as he said to me, "at least I will have had a good time getting there."

Personally, I am a bit like you. I worked for over 25 years as the CEO of some very large clubs. Years ago it was very hard in a role like that not to fancy a cold drink on a hot day. It was almost expected of you. The industry has changed a lot over the past 15 years and you will rarely find Club CEO's drinking at the Club where they work. I basically just eased out of drinking almost every day, to the stage where I now have about 4 or 5 drinks a week, at the most, apart from the occasional catch up with old friends where we all give it a pasting.

Cheers
John B
Old 25-10-2021, 05:14 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

I hope it all works out for you Andrew.

Moving interstate is always a big thing, particularly if you don't have family in QLD. What area of QLD are you moving to, or is that still undecided, or you prefer not to say?

I have a son who moved to Bundaberg about 6 months ago and a stepdaughter who moved to Townsville 18 months ago. My son is loving the warm humid weather, my stepdaughter struggled with it for a while, but starting to get used to it now.

The good thing is you already have a few IISers to observe with when you get up there.

Cheers
John B
Old 25-10-2021, 06:51 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Thanks Gents and grateful for all your well wishing and feedback we are looking around 40 minute train ride to Brisbane for work for the children we really like around Springfield, Goodna area and have 2 lots of friends that live around there going to rent for a few months hopefully by then we see something and can pull the trigger, Again thanks to you all for responding as it is genuinely appreciated...

Last edited by ab1963; 25-10-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 26-10-2021, 10:02 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Andrew, a 40 minute train ride casts the net pretty wide be sure to scope out your future home suburbs wisely. Coming from Sydney, pretty much anywhere in QLD will be good value…

The more pricey suburbs tend to run along the river or the bay - and this isn’t just because of the smell of $$$ - the open water areas tend to get the best breeze in summer! The local climate changes a little as you come inland, so temps in Ipswich (for example) can be 5C higher than the city in summer (and colder in winter).