Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-12-2010, 12:31 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Only got a 2" scope? Check this out

Hi all,

One thing I most enjoy doing here in Ice In Space is encouraging folks and help out with little technique tips to get the most out of their gear.

Still, even after 30 years experience with a myriad of scopes, large and small, I got one of my biggest and most pleasant surprises tonight when I dusted off my very first 'real' telescope, a little 2" Tasco refractor, which had laid unused for many, many years.

Rather than recite the whole thing again, if you could follow the link below to where I've posted my report and sketch:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...9&postcount=27

It is post number 27 from the December & January Observation Challenge. If you'd like to see the object targets and get a low down for the Challenge, see the link here:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...999#post670999

Mental.
Old 31-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Barrykgerdes

Hi.
I remember the old Tasco 2". Quite primative by modern standards. A friend had one that they said they had never been able to see anything clearly in it.

She gave it to me to check out and I found the simple doublet object lens had been assembled incorrectly. I soon fixed this and the scope could now be focused.

At a school astronomy night it was then used to great advantage to look at the moon and jupiter.

Barry