Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-11-2007, 12:19 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

How many inch" dob do I need to see dust/gas in Orion/M42 Nebula?

Hi there

Just wondering what dob size would I need if i wanted to see dust/gas in Orion Nebula? I understand you won't be seen it anything like astrophotos, but I've heard can still be sighted? I may be wrong... your feedback is much appreciated thankyou.
Old 19-11-2007, 12:23 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I can see dust/gas in the ED80! It's very bright, you can even see it binoculars.

The bigger the scope, the more nebulosity you see. With very large apertures, some even start to see some greeny/pinky tinge of colour.
Old 19-11-2007, 12:46 PM
h0ughy (David)

is there anyway you can get to a close astro club viewing night to wet you palette?
Old 19-11-2007, 12:47 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

In dark skies, the Nebula in Orion (M42 in particular) is naked eye visible. As Mike says, add a pair of binoculars (from, say 7x magnification to higher) and it is a marvellous sight. In my 8" reflector, the nebulosity in the "Sword" is lovely and, with dark skies and eyes adjusted, I can start to make out the dust lanes in the Flame Nebula near Orion's belt.

More experienced observers say that you can start to pick up colour in the nebula with a 12" reflector.

I hope this helps.
Old 19-11-2007, 04:13 PM
mrsnipey
Verified Astronomy Noob

I concur. I have a 12" dob and it looks slightly bluish in colour to me.
It's absolutely fantastic to look at.
Old 19-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Satchmo

The nebulosity shows up pretty well in my 42mm binoculars.

Mark
Old 19-11-2007, 09:39 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

Firstly thankyou for all your replies.

I found a webpage (located here http://www.my-spot.com/whatkind.htm) and if you scroll down the page, he has a section where compares visual to photographing orion nebula.http://www.my-spot.com/images/m42-vs-eye.jpg

I know i can't see that with my 6" dob, any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Old 20-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaddah View Post
Firstly thankyou for all your replies.

I found a webpage (located here http://www.my-spot.com/whatkind.htm) and if you scroll down the page, he has a section where compares visual to photographing orion nebula.http://www.my-spot.com/images/m42-vs-eye.jpg

I know i can't see that with my 6" dob, any suggestions? Thanks guys.
You might need to get out to a darker sky then . Where are you observing from ?

Mark
Old 20-11-2007, 09:57 AM
mbaddah (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
You might need to get out to a darker sky then . Where are you observing from ?

Mark
Currently viewing from my backyard (I know not the best seeing). i have gone to few other parks around the area away from most lights. Perhaps i'll try Gosford/Blue Mountains this weekend see how I go. Reckon you can see much with 6"?
Old 20-11-2007, 10:03 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Absolutely yes! Once you know what to look for, where to look and get experienced with using techniques such as averted vision.

How long have you been using the 6" and what have you been looking at?

There's several galaxies, nebulae, globular clusters, open clusters, double stars, coloured stars - plus Moon and planets - all within reach of a collimated 6" reflector!
Old 20-11-2007, 10:41 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Use a low power eyepiece (FL >= 20mm) from a reasonably dark site - well away from light pollution source, min. 50km from major city, 20km from large town (parks "around the area" won't do if you live in a city; light pollution travels a long way) and you will see heaps of structure in M42 with the 6" Dob. Looks a lot better than the simulated picture you've linked above.
Old 20-11-2007, 10:46 AM
mbaddah (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Absolutely yes! Once you know what to look for, where to look and get experienced with using techniques such as averted vision.

How long have you been using the 6" and what have you been looking at?

There's several galaxies, nebulae, globular clusters, open clusters, double stars, coloured stars - plus Moon and planets - all within reach of a collimated 6" reflector!
Have been using it for few months now.. I am a beginner though and learning everything on my own

Have been looking at few clusters, moon, Jupiter (never seen the GRS unfortunately) and Mars. But want to extend my search to nebulas.. and thought I'd start with the Orion.
Old 20-11-2007, 10:48 AM
mbaddah (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss View Post
Use a low power eyepiece (FL >= 20mm) from a reasonably dark site - well away from light pollution source, min. 50km from major city, 20km from large town (parks "around the area" won't do if you live in a city; light pollution travels a long way) and you will see heaps of structure in M42 with the 6" Dob. Looks a lot better than the simulated picture you've linked above.
Thanks for the tip, i'd be amazed if i seen something better than that picture! This weekend then hopefully can go somewhere with good seeing,blue mountains ?
Old 20-11-2007, 11:20 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Do you have suitable charts, or a planetarium program? Try this sky map, a free download:-

http://skymaps.com/downloads.html

You need the Southern hemisphere version and if you can print it on A3 paper, that helps a bit more. Lots of suggested targets are given.

This weekend, try to locate the galaxy NGC 253, the Orion nebula M42, the Tarantula nebula NGC 2070, the globular cluster 47 Tuc (NGC 104), the open cluster NGC 4755 (later in the evening when it rises higher above the southern horizon), the galaxy M31.- they are all on the sky map you downloaded above.

Get away from Sydney as much as possible - its sky glow extends more than 100km! Get away from direct lights to allow your eyes adjust to the dark for 40 minutes. Use a redlight torch to look for things and examine the maps. Relax, and don't try to push the magnification beyond around a 20mm eyepiece, until you have an object that is worth magnifing.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 20-11-2007, 10:15 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Do you have suitable charts, or a planetarium program? Try this sky map, a free download:-

http://skymaps.com/downloads.html

You need the Southern hemisphere version and if you can print it on A3 paper, that helps a bit more. Lots of suggested targets are given.

This weekend, try to locate the galaxy NGC 253, the Orion nebula M42, the Tarantula nebula NGC 2070, the globular cluster 47 Tuc (NGC 104), the open cluster NGC 4755 (later in the evening when it rises higher above the southern horizon), the galaxy M31.- they are all on the sky map you downloaded above.

Get away from Sydney as much as possible - its sky glow extends more than 100km! Get away from direct lights to allow your eyes adjust to the dark for 40 minutes. Use a redlight torch to look for things and examine the maps. Relax, and don't try to push the magnification beyond around a 20mm eyepiece, until you have an object that is worth magnifing.

Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the tips will do best I can to implement in coming days... will report back hopefully with good news
Old 20-11-2007, 10:32 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

I used to be able to see it clearly in my old 114mm reflector! Even better than that link shows visual!!!

In my 12" I see the the whole neb in slight Green and pink shades. Our Clubs 8" shows it just as bright but without colour. Your 6" should almost be as good from a dark site.

It is best viewed with 20mm - 32mm EP's.

Here is an eyepeice view of how I see it visually from my dark sky in the 12"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42 in EP.jpg)
24.0 KB188 views

Last edited by ballaratdragons; 20-11-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 20-11-2007, 10:51 PM
PCH (Paul)

Wow Ken, - that is spectacular

Now I know what's possible, it looks like I too should move towards darer skies.

Cheers
Old 20-11-2007, 10:59 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Wow Ken, - that is spectacular

Now I know what's possible, it looks like I too should move towards darer skies.

Cheers
Close one eye and look at the attachment. That's exactly as I see it here

Dark Skies Rule!!!!
Old 20-11-2007, 11:55 PM
mbaddah (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons View Post
I used to be able to see it clearly in my old 114mm reflector! Even better than that link shows visual!!!

In my 12" I see the the whole neb in slight Green and pink shades. Our Clubs 8" shows it just as bright but without colour. Your 6" should almost be as good from a dark site.

It is best viewed with 20mm - 32mm EP's.

Here is an eyepeice view of how I see it visually from my dark sky in the 12"
BEAUTIFUL! That's what i want to see! Looks like i'll need a 12" to get colours you mention.. Thanks for that.
Old 21-11-2007, 12:02 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Before jumping in and getting the 12", consider these:

Transport - the 12" doesn't fit into all cars.
Weight - It can be a heavy OTA for some people.

ummmm . . . that's about all I can think of

Oh, and dark sky helps.

Otherwise, it is a great scope