Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Dennis G
Dennis G

Mike's Clavius photo in S&T mag.

I'm keen to purchase a DMK 21 mono USB and at present I'm still trying to digest what It involves.
This question is directed at you Mike. I'd like an explanation to what is printed below that magnificent photo of Clavius Crater.
1/60th exposures at 60 fps for 2 minutes.
The DMK 21 AU o4 is advertised as being able to use 60 fps, Does the above mean you captured the image with the imager set to max frames for 2 minutes as I would do at 10 fps on the Toucam? Was it takem without any filters?

Just for interest sake, my Toucam will only accept 10 fps any other setting and it changes back to 10. Is there any way one can use a higher setting and lock it in?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
wmzaphod
Optically Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis G View Post
I'm keen to purchase a DMK 21 mono USB and at present I'm still trying to digest what It involves.
This question is directed at you Mike. I'd like an explanation to what is printed below that magnificent photo of Clavius Crater.
1/60th exposures at 60 fps for 2 minutes.
The DMK 21 AU o4 is advertised as being able to use 60 fps, Does the above mean you captured the image with the imager set to max frames for 2 minutes as I would do at 10 fps on the Toucam? Was it takem without any filters?

Just for interest sake, my Toucam will only accept 10 fps any other setting and it changes back to 10. Is there any way one can use a higher setting and lock it in?

Good question, is there any real advantage going to 60fps - been wondering myself now for a while I can understand the atmospheric distortion can affect the capture somewhat -- is it more fps the better?
Old 13-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

the moon does not rotate in the same way as jupiter or the other planets so time is not a huge factor, the dmk will shoot at 60 frames per second , its more the shutter speed vs brightnees that helps for moon shots.

a higher shutter speed will FREEZE the action better but you still need it bright enough to be clear and not grainy , the graininess will increase as you turn up the gain.

you can shoot 15 frames per second and 4 minutes it will be EXACTLY the same as shooting 60 frames per second for 1 minute. provided your shutter speed is the same ....ie.... 120th of a second

Seeing (the amount of atmospheric turbulence) will be the greatest factor that determines all your results.

planets aother than the moon are different as they have noticable rotation after a short period of time.

clive
Old 13-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Another (slight) advantage of 60fps over say, 15 fps is that for the Moon, a 3000 frame avi is recorded in ¼ of the time, so there are fewer demands on the mount and operator in trying to keep the target centred in the FOV, at what is a highly magnified image scale.

Cheers

Dennis