Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Darkplague
Mark

Twice as nice!

So I finally got my 12" Deluxe GSO Dob!

Opened the door after work and there were 2 hefty packages just waiting for me to open them!
Opened the OTA box first, hmmm...... about as big as I thought it would be.
(Very large) I lifted it out of the box, and it felt suprisingly light for it's size.

Assembled the base in about 30 min , everything was a nice fit, no screws missing.

I took a quick look outside. omg it was a stunning night in Adelaide
There is one street light directly in my drive but oher than that, my suburban views arent too bad. I can see a lot of the milky way, omega centauri with the unaided eye.

Well I practically scoured down my dinner, and bolted outside to set up!

My previous scope was a 6" refractor, and having never looked through anything bigger, I thought the views would blow me away!

The collimation was fairly bad out of the box, but a quick adjustment set it reasonably good . My first object was the Moon of course! It was razor sharp, with a nice neutral colour. Next was Jupiter, and to be honest it wasnt any better or more detailed than it was in my 6". The seeing was prob a 6 or a 7 btw.

On the other hand, double stars were stunning in my 22mm Panoptic. They look very much like jewels in the sky.

I looked at Omega centauri, and it definitely had more detail in it around the core, but it was nothing to write home about.
I finished off with some nebulas that I usually look at and, all in all, I found the 12" to be good, but to be honest I was expecting more from it

Well the next night was another perfect night, with no cloud, perhaps a 7/10.
I put my scope in my sedan, and it went in surprisingly well. Off I headed for Mount Crawford. About a 15 min drive from the city. The skies were quite dark, although the city glow was still quite evident. Still miles better than my backyard.
Now I looked at the same objects I described earlier on, and they were much more detailed than in suburbia. Some of the nebulas blew me away. Very 3d like. Omega Cent was stunning. I found all sorts of galaxies that I never even knew were there!

After this day, I was very satisfied with my purchase. I didn't find it really too heavy to carry around at all, the optics are very nice
and it was on special too!

BTW the next night was another stunner
Where's this supposed curse you get when you buy a new scope?

I tried posting a picture using [IMG]c:/my pictures/.....[IMG]
but it wouldnt work, any suggestions???

Also can any Adelaidians suggest any favourite dark sites?

Mark
Old 02-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Soldant
Does not exist

Hi Mark, sounds like a really nice telescope!
When you're using the image tags (this forum does use bb code, right?), you have to upload the picture to a image host, and then link to that URL. If you're new to this try Photobucket at www.photobucket.com, it will guide you through the process. Another one that doesn't require sign up is Image Shack.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Chrissyo (Chris)
Is always sleepy

Sounds like you're enjoying your new scope alot! (After the initial viewing ).

As for image posting, you can't use the [img] html tags to display images stored on your computer. For that to work you need to have the picture uploaded on the net. The IIS forums however have a great little feature where you can upload and display images right into your post. The upload area is found right below the box that you type in.

EDIT: Darn, you beat me to the post

Last edited by Chrissyo; 02-07-2005 at 10:26 PM. Reason: wanted to add a comment
Old 03-07-2005, 12:05 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Mark,
Congrats and welcome to the greedy 12" Dobbie Club!

Because the 12" is f5 don't expect too much from planets. On planets it is about equal with other scopes. The thing is built for DEEP SPACE. As you said, you found lot's of galaxies. That's where this scope is magic. And Nebs and Globs!

Is yours the Deluxe, with fan, Crayford Focuser, BK7 glass and black-painted inside the OTA?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:33 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Great report, great read! Looks like you're having fun!

To attach images that are on your hard drive, just use "Manage Attachments" when you make a post, or when replying, press "Go Advanced".

Just browse to the images on your hard drive, and click "upload".
Old 03-07-2005, 12:09 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Congrats on your new "giant" scope. You report makes me want to run out and get one as well. Too bad I live in an apartment (and on the 3rd storey no less

Darren
Old 03-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Darkplague
Mark

Just a quick one on collimation,

I have tried numerous times to collimate my scope.
When I am finished, my chesire eyepiece does not appear exactly centred inside the shadow of the secondary. Even when I have the bullseye dead on.

Is this the normal offset what youre supposed to see in a large dob? Or is the view through the EP supposed to be perfectly concentric in all the reflections??

I have collimated numerous times from the begininng, and each time I get the same offset which leads me to believe it is supposed to be a little offset.

Any thoughts please?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

All DOBs have offset. After you collimate with the Cheshire, it's right. Just do a star test to finalise. L.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:55 PM
trufflehunter
Purveyor of fine truffles

Congrats on the new scope, Mark! It's amazing what a difference good dark skies can make!
I hope the AR6 has gone to a good home, I miss her sometimes
Did you get your Pan back together again? It would be a great ep for a 12" dob.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:32 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkplague
\I took a quick look outside. omg it was a stunning night in Adelaide
\
Well the next night was another perfect night, with no cloud, perhaps a 7/10.
I put my scope in my sedan, and it went in surprisingly well. Off I headed for Mount Crawford. About a 15 min drive from the city. The skies were quite dark, although the city glow was still quite evident. Still miles better than my backyard.
Now I looked at the same objects I described earlier on, and they were much more detailed than in suburbia. Some of the nebulas blew me away. Very 3d like. Omega Cent was stunning. I found all sorts of galaxies that I never even knew were there!
\BTW the next night was another stunner
Where's this supposed curse you get when you buy a new scope?
\
Also can any Adelaidians suggest any favourite dark sites?

Mark
sorry for taking so long to reply! You did pick some great nights there - and for sure dark sites rule for everything but maybe the planets (and they are still better under dark skies in my opinion - better colour - and better seeing due to lack of heat radiating concrete and bitumen and you get cooler grassy/vegetation fields) i remember my first trip with a scope to dark skies - blew me away completely
We have used mt crawford a few times in the past - good spot, but too many hills and trees blocking the lower views - but great for zenith as you know - also coldest wettest part of the nearby hills - and still to close to city as you mentioned, and during fire season is out of bounds a bit.
I could tell you where our spots are but then we would have to eliminate/kill you - jk jk hahaha - took years to collect ours - still looking for new ones all the time -
The mid-north has the best closest cloud and moisture free darkest skies on average - so your half way there at hillbank but you need just a tiny little bit of elevation i reckon and stay away from rocky/stony areas in hot weather - really most of sa is a dark site LOL - but we find farmers are always doing something that can temporarily mess up the dark country skies - ie massive burning offs or dry sowing for months on end - so they come in as a factor - anyway depends on how far your willing to drive for dark skies Mark?
Cheers
Kearn
Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Mark,

How is the new 12" going. Finding any new galaxies etc?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Darkplague
Mark

Yep the scope is doing great!

I love it!!

I have found many new galaxies, but mostly I don't know their names.
I just know where to look to find them. I guess I need to study some charts some more but I'm too slack/hate studying.

On the down side it took me ages to finally collimate it correctly, I first thought that it would never collimate and that the focuser needed to be shimmed.

But now I know what I'm looking for, I casn repeat it again and again no probs. The internet is very misleading when it comes to collimation, everyone has their own personal opinion of what is correct, so you end up with many different kinds of responses to tackle your situation. You need to be able to weed out what is correct/not correct for your particular scope and collimation tools.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:46 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Don't know if you've seen this>>>(http://skyandtelescope.com/printable...rticle_790.asp)
HTH. L.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Darkplague
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJAH235
Don't know if you've seen this>>>(http://skyandtelescope.com/printable...rticle_790.asp)
HTH. L.
Yes I read that article!!

I don't have a problem understanding it, but when it comes to doing it, it doesn't seem to go as you would like. I am a lone astronomer, having never been to a star partie or whatever so I have had to learn everything just from the internet. Even my wife wouldnt help me collimate!!!!!!

My main problem was understanding that my scope, when fully collimated, the reflection of the diagonal had to be "offset".

I was trying to get everything perfectly concentric.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:52 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

G'day dark. When you get time, how about briefly describing the collimation technique you ended up using. Thanks.