Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 12:38 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Argo Navis System?

Hi guys,

I've seen adds in some astro-mags about this product, but they don't explain how it works. Can it be fitted to a 12" GS dob and if so, how?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

The proprieter of the Argo Navis system is a member of this site. Im sure he will chip in and tell you all you need to know.

In short, yes it can be fitted to your GS dob and there is a hardware kit available for this.

In the meantime , take a look here http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/
Old 06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

One other thing to note, is that a DSC/DTC system is the best thing you'll ever do to your scope.

I don't have Argo navis (yet), but I've got SkyCommander, which is similar, but older and less feature-packed. You tell it what object you want to look at, and it tells yuo where to push your dob so that it will be in the FOV of your eyepiece.

It is the best investment I made to my scope for visual observing. I can now view soooo many more objects in a night than when I was star-hopping. Well worth the investment.

There's a page about the skycommander on my scope here, but as I said, the argo navis is a much better option and i'll be upgrading to AN in the future.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:18 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Luv my Argo. If your scope can take encoders then it's likely it'll take an Argo.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:31 PM
barees63

I have recently fitted Argo Navis to my GSO 10" Dob, the hardware kit provided is excellent and installation was very easy (no more than 30 minutes), just a few screws and one small hole to drill in the side of the mount.

It would be hard to overstate the value of AN for me, it is simply an amazing product, I can now find any visible object in sky within a few seconds - it has completely transformed the experience for me.

As well as a built-in library of 30,000 objects with cool features like Tour Mode (does what it sounds like) I can also use software like AstroPlanner to plan my nights viewing in advance and download the plan to the AN unit as a "user catalog"..

I could go on (and on)..

As IceMan suggests, It would be hard to think of a better investment in this hobby.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:32 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders]
Luv my Argo. If your scope can take encoders then it's likely it'll take an Argo.
My scope is a standard Andrews GS 12" with Dob mount.
Can it take encoders??
Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 PM
barees63

yes, there is a specific kit for it.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:44 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

If I was to change Dob mounts later on with a home made job, could the encoders be re-fited with out buying a new kit?, or would the new mount have to resemble the old one.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:02 PM
barees63

follow the links on this page and you can see photos of the mounting hardware which should answer any questions.. http://www.wildcard-innovations.com...._describe.html
Old 06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Gary Kopff from Wildcard Innovations is off on a well earned break after releasing the new version of the Software on 31/12/05.

You can buy a mounting kit that enables you to mount the encoders directly to your 12" GS dob. If you build a new base for your scope depending on how you design it you may need to modify the mounting hardware slightly but you could certainly use the same encoders on your new mount. If the design was similar you may not need to modify anything.

I have used the system for the past couple of years. I also did some beta testing on the new software for Gary. It is easily the best DSC package available today and the new firmware which incorpprates (TPAS) puts it light years ahead of the competition. In life you generally get what you pay for, with Argo Navis and Wildcard Innovations, you get more than what you pay for. The new firmware incorporating TPAS was made available free to all existing Argo Navis users as will any subsequent firmware releases. TPAS is short for "Telescope Pointing Analysis Software" and what this does is refines the pointing accuracy by compensating for any errors in the mount itself.

CS-John B
Old 06-02-2006, 07:12 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Thanks guys for your help. My mind is made up.....
I GOTTA GET ME ONE

Now, what else do I need? Hmm...

Money!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 PM
GrampianStars (Rob)
Black Sky Zone

Ditto
My Argo is great on my older SCT had it for 6mths now
wouldnt give it up it's a too valuable tool
Old 06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumpolar
Now, what else do I need? Hmm...
A planisphere or map for finding the alignment stars !
Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Got one of those. Very handy, but trying to find those little planetary nebs is a bit tricky. Also when your surf'n the sky and find a little slice of heaven, it would be a neat way to verify what you think it is.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Its a truly brilliant device, you wont regret it!!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:23 AM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

I have a GoTo scope and expect you will be able to the same sort of stuff. The other night I was outside and thought I would just have a quick look at the Ghost o' Jupiter...within seconds, I was there even though it was only a couple of degrees above the roof of the neighbours house, it would have been very difficult to find by searching manually as you couldn't see a single star with the naked eye for 5 degrees in any direction. If you like to show your hobby off to friends, they will be amazed by technology alone, but you will still need to know the locations of several dozen stars, I found I know lots of stars in the summer sky, but not so many in the winter (because I was not outside very often until I got the scope).

You will find that some people may consider you "less" of an astronomer though.

I guess some of us like the hunt while some prefer the kill.

Enjoy your new "toy" when you get it...
Old 07-02-2006, 09:23 AM
barees63

Quote:
but you will still need to know the locations of several dozen stars
Not really, you only need to know 2 bright stars at any given time to align, even if they are not optimal you can use AN to locate another object (doesn't have to be a star) and re-select it as the second alignment object to improve pointing in that part of the sky if necessary.

Quote:
Of course you will be able to view dozens more objects than those people on any given night so...?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:34 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfOne
Some may but does their opinion matter? I think not. As for the hunt versus the kill there is no reason why you have to use the system all the time, sometimes you may want a good hunt knowing that if you get into trouble you have a mighty big gun behind you.

I am one of the hunter brigade but mainly because I don't have the readies for the system. One day, maybe, but there are heaps of other things I want as well

The main thing, keep looking up.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Q:
If I wanted to view jupiter or venus during the day and I set up in daylight,
could I use the sun(with solar filter of course) and the moon to set allignment?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:47 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumpolar
Q:
If I wanted to view jupiter or venus during the day and I set up in daylight,
could I use the sun(with solar filter of course) and the moon to set allignment?
I would set the scope up before sunrise align it and leave it covered till you want to use it. Even if using the sun is an option it would be a safer option to use stars and you would get more reference stars to choose from. Besides the stars are pinpoints and the sun and moon are dirty great disks, where do you aim at them?