Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 PM
mikesim (Mike)

Just starting out

Hi folks,
I'm a newbie into astronomy and on this forum. I have recently moved out to a farm property around 500m high in Gippsland Vic about 20k's from the nearest town (town lights can be faintly seen in the NW in the distance in the valley). I'm getting a C11 CGEM HD as a first scope as the night (dark) skies here are pretty impressive and will look to setup a permanent observatory (roll back roofed shed?) with pier mount to make it easy to open up and start observing and keep all the stuff easily acccessable. Will do mainly visual first and then plan to get into AP.
I have a line of tall trees (up to 40m high) about 40m to the south of the house and also about about 100m to the west of the property and am thinking of setting up the shed to give me clear views from NW to E (north facing property) and straight up. This allows the shed to be close to the house and in a secure area.
Generally speaking, is this aspect one that gives good views of planets and interesting deep sky or should I move it further out to give me better views facing south and west (making access to the shed a bit harder).
Appreciate your comments.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:22 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Welcome to Ice in Space Mike

Wow a C11 HD on a CGEM what a mad first scope! Well If was going to set up an observatory with imaging in mind. Id like a decent view of the south, because a lot of good stuff is up there. Americans spend many thousands to come and see it. Planets tend to transit slightly north of us located the lower degrees. So those are covered. Id still suggest a good view of the south. Although if your the type that likes to image messier objects, a view of the north is valuable too!

A tough one. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Oh wow. Dark skies, a beaut scope and an obs! You can adopt me if you want!
Seriously, that sounds wonderful. Just be aware that the setup you are purchasing is a big unit. As to the placement i would be concerned that you are going to loose some southern objects, but there are better people than me to help with that aspect. Probably if you check out your proposed site and you can still see the LMC and SMC ATM you will probably be alright!

Malcolm
Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

For what it is worth I live near the equator and after 3 years of observing I find myself looking to the south more often than not. But that's my preference.

I also have trees surrounding me but I find with the pollution and humidity in the Philippines it is hard to see much in the first 20 degrees or so and eventually most things climb above the trees.

Brian
ps. as you are spending a packet full anyway you could run a few lines and control everything from the house and half a dozen geese will drive off any intruder.
B.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Get that southern view sorted, it's all happening up there. A neighbour has just by sheer chance dropped a tree that was limiting my southern aspect and I know it is worth making an extra effort to ensure you have it. You will regret not doing so. Don't build your ob till you have tried several sites around the property to see whats what. Just a walk around with binoculars one night will do it. Sounds like you have the room to play with, I'm envious.
Good Luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:30 PM
mikesim (Mike)

Thanks folks. Will definately check the view on the next clear nighs with binoculars from various locations with the aim of getting clear south views from around 30 degrees plus. Will post some pics when I'm up and running.

Mike
Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Liz

Mike, wow, lucky you, great scope + great views = making us all envious.
Look forward to some pics when you get more organised.
Old 15-02-2011, 09:02 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Hi Mike,

Like most others, I would highly recommend locating your obs where you will be able to see at least as low as the SCP. If you can't locate far enough north to see the SCP, then you will miss out on some objects permanently. I also have a line of tall trees just to my south, but I can still see down to about 30 deg elevation, which from here (not far from you - apparently), is about 8 degrees below the SCP.

This means the the Southern Cross is clear of my trees at around 2200 hrs at this time of year - which I can tolerate.

Good luck with your ponderings!
Chris
Old 15-02-2011, 10:36 PM
mikesim (Mike)

Thanks Chris,
I'll keep it in mind.
I'm actually on the other side of the valley towards Traralgon. I suppose you can never be too free with your exact location when you're planning for an obs with some fairly pricey gear in it. Look forward to see some pics of your obs and stellar pics when you get your website going.

Cheers
Mike