Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
NotPrinceHamlet (Graham)

New Member Introduction

Hi all,

I'd just like to take the time to introduce myself here - I hope to be a contributor as time goes on.

I've always in love with astronomy - back before I can even remember, I used to leaf through this book...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/x0/x743.jpg

...so that it was falling to bits before I can even remember, and I could list the planets in order from the Sun when I was about 5 y.o. I took to physics naturally and so pushed through to get a bachelors degree with an Astrophysics final year subject at Adelaide Uni (class of 1990, for any comrades out there).

I didnt follow thru with uni studies, instead wanted to get into finance and make a million (stupid me...), and I still work in the financial field toying with equities, derivatives and that sort of thing.

Anyway, sort of didn't think much about astonomy over the 20 odd years since then - being distracted with career, girls, babies, etc - and never had a decent telescope until my wife entered a $2 draw to win a Celestron Nexstar 4SE and subsequently won it for me (I love her heaps!).

A little telescope but it was enough to whet my appetite - although the small aperture isnt great for anything less than about magnitude 8, it shows clearly Jupiter, Saturn, some nice star clusters and a distinct blue colour around what the Goto computer said was the Saturn Nebula. Galaxies are pretty much a barely visible smudge however.

I'm looking forward to somehow laying my mits on a larger telescope in future (as large as I can afford, given a Sydney mortgage and the constraints of fitting it in a Holden Astra) and joining up with a club to rediscover an interest that has been pretty dormant for quite a while.

Hope to meet some of you one day in the flesh!

All the best

Graham
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Welcome

Welcome to the site, Graham. It's amazing how closely your interest in astronomy matches mine. I always loved it as a kid, read all of Patrick Moore's early books, even made a reflector from bits and pieces. Then home life took over. Astronomy won't let go that easily, it always seems to be there in the background. I'm back into it after a long absence. Joining a club is a great idea, it will give you a chance to experience using different types of scopes, mounts and eyepieces before looking for a new scope. There are many great people here, with years of experience, ready to answer questions.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Graham, welcome to IIS.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

Hi Graham and welcome. Once you start looking at the night skies it's hard to stop. Your lat/long says you're only 3 km's away from me. If you're interested, next time I set up in a park on a clear night, perhaps you would care to join me. Always nice to have someone to discuss the heavens with.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

Hi Graham

welcome to IIS

geoff
Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Graham,

Enjoyed reading your introduction.

Hopefully you can join us up at Mangrove Mountain Pony Club (refer to Star Parties sub-forum) on one of our monthly get-togethers.

Welcome aboard.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

G'day Graham, welcome aboard.

I agree with Humayun ... come to one of the Pony Club nights, look through a bunch of different scopes, and meet some excellent people.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
NotPrinceHamlet (Graham)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome - I'm gonna enjoy hanging out here and reading the threads.

Clarry, I live in Lugarno, Sydney - over the other side of the river from Bonnet Bay - but nevertheless, its probably pretty quick via Menai.

So next time you feel like some company, just drop me an PM and if I'm free I'll try and join u.

Thanks for the invite!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

I'll do that Graham, maybe somewhere half way like Menai itself. I'll scout around & see if I can find a suitable feild.