Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-01-2015, 08:54 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

SkySafari

Hello,

As I mentioned some time ago I intended to buy a tablet to use with GPS. Now I have the tablet and bought SkySafari. Then I downloaded the data to my computer as per instructions here: http://skysafariastronomy.com/produc...roid/data.html
I copied the folder to the location they say, did everything they say, but when I start SkySafari I get an error message:
Connection Problem
SkySafari Pro requires a Wi-Fi connection for a one time download of additional files.
So basically it doesn't see the data I downloaded?
I copied the folder to the right location, so I am not sure what to do.
I am completely new to Android, maybe I am missing something?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 19-01-2015, 09:16 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I think I know what the problem was. Wrong sd card. I had put the data on the external sd card, but I think it wanted the internal one, so I am just moving the obb file. I am pretty sure that was it.
Old 19-01-2015, 10:10 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Why not just "install" it from the Play store over a WiFi connection, and let it look after where it puts the file, rather than trying to manually copy the file across and making sure it's in the right place, properly registered with the app, correct version, etc. (The large obb file was modified in a recent update, so you may get a corrupt installation with an out-of-date obb file, even if you put it in the right location.)
Old 19-01-2015, 11:34 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

It works fine now. It had to be on the internal SD card. Unfortunately I don't have Wi-Fi at home and it is freezing outside (after a few super hot days!) so I didn't feel like going to a Wi-Fi hotspot today. It doesn't seem to pick up GPS from my balcony, but this was predictable (we discussed this when I wanted to buy the Celestron portable planetarium). I will try outside as soon as I can. There is no compass or gyro symbol because it won't pick it up from inside. GPS is enabled in the settings.
It picked up a weak signal with Sygic, but nothing with SS. I have the maps for Australia and NZ.
Old 21-01-2015, 12:06 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

OK, today I went out... I tried the tablet in the Mall, but Sky Safari and the Mobile Observatory still won't work with GPS and the compass or gyro? GPS works fine: I tried Sygic and it told me exactly where I was sitting.
Luckily Google Sky Maps works fine with GPS though, so at least I have something I can use, but I would be curious to know why the other two applications won't work with GPS? I was even connected to Wi-Fi in town, although it is not necessary for them to work with GPS.
Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
OSG
Old 21-01-2015, 05:42 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Well, I have read that these apps don't work with all sensors...
Luckily 1 app is enough, and Google Sky Map works fine, even inside. Interestingly it is free. Yes, the best things in life ARE free!
When I tested the other apps in town there were also buildings of course though, so I will still test them at the beach too, where there are no obstructing buildings.

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 21-01-2015 at 06:13 PM.