Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Converting 8" dob in to eq

If I was to say that I wanted to convert my dobsonian in to an equilateral, Would an eq 3 suffice? or something a bit more sturdy like eq5. I'm not going to convert any time soon. Just curious.

thanks,
Tony
Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

I would assume that the 8" dob is an f6, not that it makes much difference. If you are only going to visual use a HEQ5 would work BUT if the aim is for astrophotography then its an EQ6 at least to get the log term stability you need.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

what about a normal average eq5? HEQ5 and EQ6 is a bit too much... twice as expensive as the OTA and all...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

is there are a bracket for the Newtonian? and do you need to get rid of the circle thingy (sorry, not good with the terminology) that swivels on the lazy susan?

thanks,
Tony
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
slippo74 (Cristiano)

Hi Tony... if your dob is not a truss type you can use rings and the dovetail mounting plate for an 8" tube. If I correctly remember the basic EQ5 should be able to carry a max payload between 10 to 15kg. So it depends by the weight of the optical tube. However I'll not consider the EQ5 if your intentions are more than general view but, like someone else already mentioned, an HEQ5 or so.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

hmm... I was only going to use it for observing. Since There are hill in the views of my house, I thought it would be easier if I went to a open area. But dobsonian mounts are a bit flimsy when it comes to transporting. Might take some digital pics when converted... that's why I don't want to spend thousands of dollars just to be easier for transport...

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

I have one mounted on an HEQ5. A sensible minimum would be an EQ5 GEM.
However: a good few modern Alt-Az mounts should take the weight.
I believe the WO EzTouch, I-Optron Cube and MiniTower, DM4/6, Stellarvue M7, Giro 3, etc. would all take the weight and a bit more.
If you are not planning on imaging, its worth a thought.
G'Luck.
Peter
Old 07-02-2010, 02:22 AM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

A friend of mine had a Skywatcher 8" F/6 newt on a HEQ5 and used it for deep sky imaging, if it can be used for deep sky imaging, it could easily be used for visual. I think the EQ5 GEM would work well for visual... I must say, I had one on the same scope on an EQ6 Pro, and I will say that a newtonian on a GEM can be the worlds biggest pain in the butt.. The eyepiece can land in some pretty annoying positions.

Now, the round mounting things on the side of the tube can stay there.. I left them there as I wanted to be able to use the scope on the dob mount, and on the GEM.. You will need a set of 235mm tube rings and a dovetail to suit the GEM you intend to use...