Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2023, 06:37 PM
redeye64 (Paul)

Sharpcap or other for PA

Am keen to get into deep space astro photography, have Svbony 102ED and am waiting on a EQ6-R pro, 50mm guidescope & ASI224mc as a guide cam (and thinking about a Player One Uranus C pro as a starter imaging cam.
Have been playing around for a while with SA 2i pro tracker with a nikon and various lenses but despair of ever polar aligning leading to the goto purchase.....so which software is the easiest to PA with for a total, oldish newb? Sharpcap or something else (will be using a dedicated laptop)
Old 07-10-2023, 07:24 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi Paul,

What platform is your laptop, (Windows, Linux, macOS?) as this determines the toolset you can use to PA, image, etc.

For a Windows setup, NINA gets a very good report and there is a huge amount of support (both here and on other places online). With the various plugins available it's a capable and competent setup.

For Linux and macOS there is KStars/Ekos (which I use, so I may be slightly biased) to handle every aspect of imaging.

I've never used SharpCap, so am not in a place to comment on it. There is also 'Sequence Generator Pro' (which is in the same bucket as SharpCap for me).

Regards,
V.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:24 PM
redeye64 (Paul)

Hi Steve
Using windows, have been looking at NINA too.....at this stage of newbyness l'm mostly interested in something l can get my head around without a steep learning curve lol. Would be good to have one program that will PA, guide & handle imaging if there is such a beast....
Old 08-10-2023, 09:30 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

I can't comment on NNA, haven't used that yet, But i am using SharpCap Pro for Polar alignment and works fine, the only catch is it is a paid program.
I know some are just using the EQ6-R Pro to polar align with the handset and getting good results also.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:46 PM
Rosiesch (Rosie)

Polar alignment

Sharp-cap with the Polemaster will be the easiest. I couldn’t do it either until finding that. The polemaster and sharp cap costs money though and you will need a laptop but it will save you time and a lot of stress. I use the Ioptron system now and that is similar.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:54 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiesch View Post
Sharp-cap with the Polemaster will be the easiest. I couldn’t do it either until finding that. The polemaster and sharp cap costs money though and you will need a laptop but it will save you time and a lot of stress. I use the Ioptron system now and that is similar.
+1 for the QHY Polemaster - a killer tool for Polar Alignemnt provided you have clear access to the SCP.

Dennis
Old 08-10-2023, 09:05 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Your EQ6-R mount comes with a Synscan handcontroller
The Synscan polar alignment routine in the handcontroller is as accurate as Polemaster and costs nothing and what’s even better you don’t require a view of the South Celestial Pole. All you need is 2 bright stars on same side of meridian , between 35 and 60 degrees in altitude and 60 degrees or less apart in azimuth.
I’ve used it over 6 years using EQ5, HEQ5 , EQ6-R and EQ8-R pro mounts with excellent results and takes around 10 minutes to complete once you get some experience under your belt. It’s an iterative method and after time you can reduce your iterations from say 5 or 6 down to 2 or 3.
Procedures attached
Cheers
Martin

PS: I forgot to mention you can use various options to view Star centering operations for both star alignment and polar alignment.

1/ Illuminated reticle centering eye piece in focuser of telescope ( Eg: Orion 20mm 70 degree centering eye piece )
2/ Your preferred imaging software “live view” screen ( as long as it has a zoom function and cross hairs) I use my old Canon 600 D DSLR in my Newts and BYEOS ( Backyard EOS ) which has a tremendous live view function. There’s no time lag and live view is excellent for really precise Star Centering.

Last edited by Startrek; 09-10-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:50 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I use sharpcap with whatever camera I have on my guidescope. It's extremely easy. As long as you are roughly pointing somewhere near the scp already. It's not free (but it's cheap) as Secret Affair once sang!

But I might might try Nina given the wrap others have given it here (and I'm already using Nina as my imaging software).

Last edited by ChrisV; 09-10-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:00 PM
ronson

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye64 View Post
Hi Steve
Using windows, have been looking at NINA too.....at this stage of newbyness l'm mostly interested in something l can get my head around without a steep learning curve lol. Would be good to have one program that will PA, guide & handle imaging if there is such a beast....
For a newbie with above set of requirements, check the ASIAIR ecosystem, it will do the things you have listed. You can run it via your mobile or tablet. There are 'workarounds' to get it up and running via Windows and Bluestacks if you are technical enough.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:18 PM
phyton42 (Mark)

Paul, if you have decided on a laptop NINA (free) or similar will suit. For Polar alignment there is a 3PPA plugin that has worked well for me (as a newbie) or Sharpcap if you want to pay. The guiding program that is highly recommended is PHD2 which interfaces with NINA and others nicely. (also free)
If you consider the ASIAIR/ZWO eco-system just know there are some limitations on which gear will connect to it. (just the way ZWO likes)

I've just been through all this. Send me a PM if you want more detail.
Mark.
Old 15-10-2023, 01:31 PM
redeye64 (Paul)

Thanks everyone for replying
l've installed Sharpcap pro, its only $23, and will see how it goes....am using a guide camera
l thought about ASAIR but am considering getting a Player One cam down the track....
Will be trying PHD2 for guiding........if my head doesnt explode lol