Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-06-2023, 02:03 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

ZWO EAF - small moves fail when pointing straight up about once per night?

This is a strange one - my ZWO EFF fails on small filter change positioning moves - normally when the scope is pointing straight up (so maximum weight on imaging train) - but only about once per night.

A remove the USB cable from the motor and immediately reinsert it fixes the problem immediately. When the issue occurs I was present luckily and I could hear the motor whirring and whirring - and I know these motors have a lot of torque.

The unit connects to a Williams Optics 132mm FLT and it has a extension tube, ZWO filter wheel and ZWO 1600MM-m attached to it - so not what I would call excessive weight.

Wondering from the symptoms what is going on? It happened around midnight last night when I shifted from M83 to M16 as an imaging target and was about to refocus. I stopped the imaging run on APT and the filter went from Green back to Luminance - triggering about a 43 step move that sent the motor racing?

Any ideas folks - I am unsure what is happening here - noting that a simple USB remove and reinsert addressed the issue. The firmware on the EFF is about 6 - 8 months old - last two flashes failed - may need to do the firmware flash from a higher powered USB hub.

Wondering what causes 1 fail per night - hours and hours into an imaging run that causes the motor to rev but not move and a connection cable reset to immediately resolve?

Last edited by g__day; 28-06-2023 at 11:59 PM.
Old 18-06-2023, 03:06 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have had one of the 12V ZWO focus motors for a coup[le of years and it has just worked night after night. The only issues I have ever had with it were related to the rubbish power cables you can get in most places (The ones with a solid inner contact, not a spring loaded one)

It will happily make moves of only a couple of steps even with the scope pointed straight up.
Old 19-06-2023, 12:54 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

My verion is USB powered so no external 12V power supply. The USB cable plug into a powered, combo USB2 / 3 hub. Thinking to swapping the USB cable to another brand - to see if that has any change to its at time strange behaviour!
Old 19-06-2023, 01:33 AM
ronson

Try bypassing the USB hub and use a different power source.
Old 19-06-2023, 06:00 AM
oska (John)
Illucid

I'd be really concerned about the failed firmware update. That can leave the unit in an unknown state and then all bets are off. Reinserting USB will cause a reboot of the onboard MCU so it's not necessarily an indicator of a dicky cable/connection.

Replacing the cable should be part of your normal debugging procedures. It still could be stiction in the mechanism from say old grease or an over tight tensioner.
Old 19-06-2023, 09:28 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Me too about the firmware update fail - let the device in a unusable state until a power reset (twice)! Luckily it failed at clear EPROM stage and not later - so no updates occurred - but a heart stopping moment or two gear wise!

Last night it ran for 8 hours straight with zero issues - we small focus shifts every 6 minutes - that is how intermittent it is!
Old 25-06-2023, 11:58 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Happened again last night - same position - and its been about 3 days since the last occurence. About 6 hours into an 8 hour imaing run. The telescope pointed straight up, focuser needs to do a tiny move - as it has every 5 minutes for the last few hours and then motor is continually whirring - remove USB and reinsert and problem goes away for the rest of the night.

Still no comment from ZWO on this one. It's pretty much my last remaining software / mechnical factor to get sorted...
Old 25-06-2023, 07:33 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Sam position as in same step count? I am assuming it is an R&P focuser? I did have one get a bit unreliable at one point which turned out to be a tiny bit of grit which had found it's way into the rack. I ran it out and brushed the grit away and it was back to reliable operation.

The other possibility would obviously be a mechanical one in the focus motor itself, could you release the shaft, move the motor position by some amount of steps ivia the software and see what happens? If you move the motor by 200 steps inward for the same rack position and the problem then occurs 200 reported steps "out" from where it did before then the focus rack might be sticking, likewise if it happens again at the same step count on the motor, then the motor would likely be to blame.
Old 25-06-2023, 08:21 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Something blocking the track would be the obivous answer (not sure how this would occur though as its all enclosed) but the fact that taking the USB out and putting it immediately back in and then it can do any move leaves me stumped - as a blockage issue would never resolve this way.

Be interesting to see what ZWO come back with when they eventually respond!
Old 25-06-2023, 10:59 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Hi Matthew,

Can't help with your current issue but I am curious as to why you are refocussing so often? Is it that you're cycling through your filters rather than doing them in batches? Just curious.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 26-06-2023, 11:59 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Hi Mark,

My light frames on the Mono camera often go 5 - 10 loops of

Luminance 2 mins
Luminance 3 mins
Red 2 mins
Red 3 mins
Green 2 mins
Green 3 mins
Blue 2 mins
Blue 3 mins

So every 5 minutes there is a filter change which triggers a small focuser offset change. This way collect my LRGB data at the same time - and any issue or collateral benefit in the seeing is seen by all. So a risk minisation approach - even though instead of changing filters and focus position only 4 times in a plan (the top down approach) I use the cycle approach meaning I change filters 20 - 40 times in a plan!

Every hour or every 1 to 2 degree temperature drop I tend to halt the plan and manually trigger an automated refocus. I haven't got the automated trigger of a automated refocus to work in either SGP or APT yet!
Old 28-06-2023, 10:29 PM
JFWall54 (John)

I had the same issue a few nights ago. I was able to determine that when the scope was pointing straight up, the focuser on the scope was actually slipping when the EAF tried to pull the weight of my camera and EFW up. All I needed to do was increase the friction on the scopes focuser and "no more slip".

I figured that the scope was getting rather cold and that caused the metal to contract slightly... hence the focuser slipping.

I hope it's that easy for you.
Old 28-06-2023, 11:04 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Hi John, that sounds rather plausible! I just have to figure out now what sets the friction on the scopes focuser as you say as its a rack and pinion set up with a funny spiral (metal cylinder - that has a groove cut into it like a spring.

I will research how the focuser it meant to be installed for Williams Optics scope and see if the friction is just a tad off as you say!
Old 28-06-2023, 11:26 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

So watching how to fit this to a smaller ZWO scope on youtube - I don't see any friction adjustment on the focuser in two videos - so I will research more.

What I did notice was advice on this video not to mount the motor hard up against the coupler but to give it half a millimeter of play to allow for expansion and contraction - that will be something I check too.

I wonder if it can be stiction? When I heard the motor whirring I didn't shine a light on the coupler to see if it was in fact turning (I strongly suspect not) nor try to help it move one way or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqAiycIG7rs
Old 28-06-2023, 11:46 PM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I am wonder if the coupler is installed set too close to the telescope and not close enough to the motor. Does anyone know for this specific scope - a Williams Optics 132mm FLT?

I am suspecting if the coupler is too close to the OTA bracket (and it was likely installed during the day by the original owner - then when it gets very cold the shrinkate of the parts might be causing it to become stuck on the OTA bracket itself!

The instruction manual doesn't specify the recommended play needed between coupler on either the motor side or the scope side as far as I can tell!

I am thinking to maybe move the motor and coupler say 0.5 - 1 mm further away from the OTA (by loosening coupler to OTX two hex screws - then loosening the mounting brackets two screws and simply sliding the motor and coupler out a fraction and locking it all together again).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EAF focuser 1.jpg)
94.9 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (EAF focuser 2.jpg)
138.5 KB24 views
Click for full-size image (EAF focuser 3.jpg)
104.2 KB30 views

Last edited by g__day; 29-06-2023 at 12:02 AM.
Old 29-06-2023, 09:41 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi Matthew,

From the images, it looks to me like the flexible coupling is a very tight fit inside that black 'box' part of the focuser. How much clearance do you have in there and is it possible to get more?

Regards,
V.
Old 29-06-2023, 02:07 PM
oska (John)
Illucid

I think you're right V, there's a shiny spot on the coupler like it's been rubbing. That would definitely cause you grief.

Mathew, if you can mount the coupler on a rod (to keep it rigid) in a drill (preferably a pedestal) and whittle it down with a file or sand paper. I've done a couple of mine in the lathe for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
Hi Matthew,

From the images, it looks to me like the flexible coupling is a very tight fit inside that black 'box' part of the focuser. How much clearance do you have in there and is it possible to get more?

Regards,
V.
Old 29-06-2023, 08:06 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Come to say that, on my original small frac (Evostar 72) I had to turn the coupler down as it was fouling in the focuser housing.

If you are going to do that they are a quite flexible beast, you really need to find a suitable shaft to put through it, lock one end with the grub screw, twist it to close up the gaps and lock the other end or they can really dance around and be hard to do a neat job on.
Old 30-06-2023, 12:07 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Another Williams Optics FLT 132mm owner showed me a closer up of his coupler in the focus well - it is inserted the same distance as mine - but it has about a 2mm gap between the coupler and the focuser bracket.

Mine has about a 0.2mm gap if that!

His focuser bracket is round mine is square! I would guess his focuser bracket's well is about 23mm diameter and mine is likely 19.5 to maybe 20mm!

An image of his attached. So I am wondering did Williams Optics change the dimensions of the inner well in their focuser bracket in the last 10 years - and is my older scope just a tad too tight!

My gear has the coupler well centred but 0.2mm of gap (guess) is rather too snug. I added lithium grease as a help - but I may have to remove my coupler and get a professional machinist with a lathe to shim it down 1-2 mm!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (356811758_7050355088331504_4678078507788894132_n.jpg)
169.8 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (focuser 1 of 3.jpg)
146.4 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (focuser 2 of 3.jpg)
156.6 KB14 views
Click for full-size image (focuser 3 of 3.jpg)
144.1 KB16 views

Last edited by g__day; 30-06-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 30-06-2023, 01:02 PM
oska (John)
Illucid

It's only just rubbing by the look of it. You could remove it and take to the shiny spot (plus a bit) with a file, it wont be pretty but it should work? What size is the focuser shaft?