Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-07-2010, 10:12 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Abell 2667: A very distant Scorpius, a comet and a gravitational arc.

Hi All,
After having re-lubed and tuned my Losmandy G-11 so it now tracks as good as new I decided it was time to go after some seriously challenging stuff.
I've always wanted to image a gravitational arc as I reckon these are among the most fascinating aspects of our Universe. Since I previously managed a gravitationally lensed double-quasar (see thread: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=56948) I thought I'd be up for this new challenge.
Finding the cluster proved to be difficult because its position is simply way off in Starry Night Pro. It turned out to be plotted more than half a degree west of its true position
After finally having managed star-hopping to its supposed location I switched to the camera and started imaging. I could very very faintly see the brightest member of the cluster in each sub-frame on the screen.

Processing
To bring out the most details I first did a 3x re-sampling of each sub-frame, then aligned and stacked them in RegiStax. After this I scaled the stacked image to 50%, so all in all I ended up with a 150% image scale compared with the original data but now hopefully containing a bit more detail because of the initial re-sampling. To lift the ultra faint Abell 2667 from the background I then applied DBE and curves in PixInsight LE followed by iterations of noise reduction. I did this many times and created several different versions until I had something solid to work
with in Photoshop. In Photoshop I then applied unsharp masking, again doing several iterations back and forth, being careful not to overdo it. I then did some final curves adjustments and added one of my other versions as a colour layer. By tuning the saturation of this layer I was able to bring out the yellowish colours of the galaxies as compared to the foreground star. It was quite amazing to see the Comet Galaxy appear in light blue immediately when I first increased the saturation, it popped out very strongly with a different colour from the rest! A comparison with the Hubble image reveals that the gravitational arc itself is indeed visible quite clearly, although only the brightest portion of it.
Finally I scaled the image up to fit alongside the Hubble image for a nice comparison and also added an inverted version with labels.

Image is available here: http://www.pbase.com/rolfolsen/image/126544879/original
Image details: 38 x 61s + 41 x 41s s, taken 09/07/2010 with 10" Newtonian f/5 and ToUCam Pro SC1. No filters, no guiding.

About Abell 2667
The massive galaxy cluster Abell 2667 is located in the constellation Sculptor at a distance of 2.73 billion light years (z=0.233). This cluster has a very high core mass density which enables it to bend and amplify the light from distant background galaxies and to also impose a massive pull of force upon its individual members.
The brightest gravitational arc in the sky is found in this cluster among a couple of other interesting features. First of all, the galaxies in the core of Abell 2667 are arranged in what looks distinctively like a mini version of the constellation Scorpius. One interesting member of the group is the Comet Galaxy, such named because its extremely rapid motion through the cluster's plasma is tearing it apart and leaving a trail of star burst regions, a process also known as 'ram pressure stipping'. Finally there is the gravitational arc itself, which is composed of multiple distorted images of a very distant background galaxy.

The gravitational arc
The bright gravitational arc is a distorted image of a galaxy located far behind the cluster itself. Its red shift of z=1.0334 puts it at a distance of 8.2 billion light years. It is thus likely the most distant ordinary galaxy visible with amateur telescopes.
The arc consists of 3 images of the same galaxy, two of which are joined together to form the brightest part of the arc, with a third image lying a little further away along the path of the same arc. The blue (450nm) magnitudes of images 1 & 2 (the brightest part of the arc) are 20.26, and 20.62 respectively and both are visible in the image as a little streak of light. The third image is not visible but has a blue magnitude of 21.3 so it was probably fainter than what the ToUCam can pick up.

The Comet Galaxy

The Comet Galaxy is the blue galaxy seen in the upper left. It is a spiral galaxy being shredded to pieces by the strong gravitational pull of the massive cluster. It is speeding through the cluster's plasma at over 3.5 million km/h due to the enormous combined gravity of the cluster's dark matter, hot gas and hundreds of galaxies.
The tidal forces causes its gas and stars to be stripped away. Also contributing to the stripping is the pressure of the cluster's hot gas plasma at temperatures up to 10-100 million degrees.
Both processes - the tidal forces and the aptly named "ram pressure stripping" resulting from the action of the hot cluster gas - resemble those affecting comets in our Solar System. For this reason, scientists have nicknamed this peculiar spiral the "Comet Galaxy". The spiral will inevitably lose all its gas and dust as well as its chance of generating new stars later, and become a gas-poor galaxy with an old population of red stars.

Finally, a very interesting paper about this galaxy cluster is available here:
VIMOS-IFU survey of z ~ 0.2 massive galaxy clusters
I. Observations of the strong lensing cluster Abell 2667

Hope you enjoy the view, all comments critique etc. are welcome as always.

Regards,
Rolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Abell 2667 presentation 14072010.jpg)
141.5 KB202 views
Old 15-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

H
Old 15-07-2010, 10:37 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Awesome! Brilliant work. I admire your dedication. Its a fascinating read. Keep them coming!
Old 15-07-2010, 11:20 PM
JD2439975 (Justin)
Cloud hater

Excellent work Rolf & very well presented too.

I'd just been eyeing that one myself, wondering if the lensed galaxy would be a viable target, for my setup it works out to about 1 pixel wide by 30 odd pixels long...not the biggest or brightest object to be aiming for.

Inspirational effort once again, keep pushing that envelope.

Justin.
Old 16-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Rolf

You have managed to gather another set of quite esoteric objects, well off the beaten track – you must surely be the Sherlock Holmes of the amateur astronomy world!

An amazing image and I love the presentation – top stuff! Thank you for the comprehensive write up on the targets and your processing, this information really complements the wonderful image.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 16-07-2010, 06:06 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Holy cow! That's awesome! And for noobs like me, you've explained it all so well too. Thankyou!
Old 16-07-2010, 06:47 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Another excellent piece of work

Now all you need is to get a good CCD and really impress us!!!!!
Old 16-07-2010, 06:54 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Very nice. Great to see these different and challenging targets be attempted and achieved so successfully.
Old 16-07-2010, 09:16 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

The gravitational arc is mind-blowing
I'm picking up bits of my mind off the floor right now....!
Old 18-07-2010, 11:48 AM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Well done!
I cant see anyone else imaging this with amateur gear!
frank
Old 18-07-2010, 12:32 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Inspirational! Great stuff.
Old 18-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Another wonderful collage. You do this better than anyone else in here and your final results could easily be made into posters.
Well done again Rolf.
Old 20-07-2010, 06:44 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

H
Lol, thank you H I wonder what your new SBIG would be able to pick up in some of these faint targets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewaldo View Post
Awesome! Brilliant work. I admire your dedication. Its a fascinating read. Keep them coming!
Thanks Dave, I think this one might be pushing the ToUCam to the very edge, but great fun indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2439975 View Post
Excellent work Rolf & very well presented too.

I'd just been eyeing that one myself, wondering if the lensed galaxy would be a viable target, for my setup it works out to about 1 pixel wide by 30 odd pixels long...not the biggest or brightest object to be aiming for.

Inspirational effort once again, keep pushing that envelope.

Justin.
Thank you Justin It's certainly not the most visually impressive target, but I think the 'coolness factor' makes up for it
I'd be delighted to see an image of this from you or any others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Rolf

You have managed to gather another set of quite esoteric objects, well off the beaten track – you must surely be the Sherlock Holmes of the amateur astronomy world!

An amazing image and I love the presentation – top stuff! Thank you for the comprehensive write up on the targets and your processing, this information really complements the wonderful image.

Cheers

Dennis
Thanks very much Dennis It's quite fascinating how much interesting stuff is packed into that little speck of the sky. One can easily sit drooling for ages over the full res Hubble image of this cluster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Holy cow! That's awesome! And for noobs like me, you've explained it all so well too. Thankyou!
Thank you Troy, glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Another excellent piece of work

Now all you need is to get a good CCD and really impress us!!!!!
Thanks Carl, oh yes I will get a proper CCD, it's well overdue. I'm aiming for early 2011. Then it would be awesome to do a super long exposure of some faint and obscure target like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Very nice. Great to see these different and challenging targets be attempted and achieved so successfully.
Thank you Roger It is great fun to try these things and I look forward to do it with a proper CCD cam some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
The gravitational arc is mind-blowing
I'm picking up bits of my mind off the floor right now....!
Oops, that was an unintentional side effect Rob, hope you got it all back together now
Yes it is pretty weird stuff, amazing that the lensed galaxy is amplified 10x!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo View Post
Well done!
I cant see anyone else imaging this with amateur gear!
frank
Thanks Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Inspirational! Great stuff.
Thank you Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Another wonderful collage. You do this better than anyone else in here and your final results could easily be made into posters.
Well done again Rolf.
Thanks Doug I actually didn't intend this one to be more than a single image, but there was just too much stuff to display so I just had to include 2 versions plus the Hubble image
Old 20-07-2010, 09:11 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

This is an extremely cool image very nicely captured

New SBS Science series - "Rolf and the web Cams"...or maybe a new techno band

Mike
Old 20-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

That's amazing Rolf

A bit of everything in that image and a great writeup about them as well.

Cheers
Old 25-07-2010, 07:32 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Rolf
Do you have a version of your image "uncropped"?

Would you have exact RA DEC for the target ?

I tried to see if I could find the target this weekend but had no luck (the Moon of course didnt help...)
frank
Old 25-07-2010, 08:26 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
This is an extremely cool image very nicely captured

New SBS Science series - "Rolf and the web Cams"...or maybe a new techno band

Mike
Thank you Mike I like imaging these unusual targets, it is very satisfying especially after an obscure and lengthy star hopping session

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
That's amazing Rolf

A bit of everything in that image and a great writeup about them as well.

Cheers
Thanks Ric, glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo View Post
Rolf
Do you have a version of your image "uncropped"?

Would you have exact RA DEC for the target ?

I tried to see if I could find the target this weekend but had no luck (the Moon of course didnt help...)
frank
Hi Frank, the cluster is quite large in area and unfortunately its position in Starry Night is way off, but the part of it I have imaged is centered around USNO J2351426-260437 of magnitude 14.85. In SN this star has coordinates RA(J2000) 23h 51.711m, Dec(J2000) -26d 4.618'.
Good luck hunting it down, it's an extremely faint cluster but the star should lead you to it pretty easily.

Regards,
Rolf
Old 25-07-2010, 08:35 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Thanks Mate
cheers
frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyViking View Post
Thank you Mike I like imaging these unusual targets, it is very satisfying especially after an obscure and lengthy star hopping session

Thanks Ric, glad you enjoyed it

Hi Frank, the cluster is quite large in area and unfortunately its position in Starry Night is way off, but the part of it I have imaged is centered around USNO J2351426-260437 of magnitude 14.85. In SN this star has coordinates RA(J2000) 23h 51.711m, Dec(J2000) -26d 4.618'.
Good luck hunting it down, it's an extremely faint cluster but the star should lead you to it pretty easily.

Regards,
Rolf
Old 25-07-2010, 09:07 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Nahhh, a ToUcam can't do that

Nice work Rolf. Believe me, I know
Old 26-07-2010, 10:44 PM
John Hothersall

Facinating read and extraordinary deep eye you've got with simple amature equipment.

JohnH.