Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-03-2016, 01:44 AM
Hemi

Which refractor

Dear Members,

I would like a refractor. Currently would use it 80:20 visual:imaging, but later predominantly imaging. I would like it grab and go for visual.
I am debating between the ES triplet Apo's: 80 f6 or 102 f7. They are about 1kg apart in weight: 102mm is 4.3kg.

Your thoughts please
Old 14-03-2016, 05:17 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Well, I have a similar ED110 f/7 as travel scope. I am in South Africa right now and took that scope with tripod to SA.
The ED110 weighs 6kg but I replaced the CNC tube rings (0.9kg !) by aluminum strips and the 1.2kg dew shield by Yogamat dew shield. The scope lost 2kg so it is 4kg now. And if I want I can put the original (and nicer) dew shield + tube rings back quickly.
So with an 102 f/7 or 80 f/6 the same can be done.

http://skysurfer.eu/AP110.php
Old 15-03-2016, 07:44 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

Hi Hemi,

I have a Televue 85 that you're welcome to test (when we get some clear weather). Saw my first view of one of Jupiter's moon's shadows in this scope.
It's a great grab and go, and I'm looking forward to using it for widefield AP.
Cheers Phil
Old 15-03-2016, 09:06 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Out of those two, definitely the 102mm. An 80mm is just too aperture challenged imo. I had a SW/Saxon ED80 and it performed beautifully but the lack of aperture got to me pretty quickly. And for wide TFOV, where these small scopes excel, I prefer binos. YMMV.
Old 16-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Hemi

Thanks Gents,

Will take you up on that offer Phil. I don't think this tropical low is going anywhere fast though. I find accuweather pretty reliable, and the forecast is depressing.

I've had the c925 for 5 months or so, and am very happy with it, but I'm desperate to look through something else. (First and only scope....so far!)

Off for first camping trip of the year in April, and wanted a grab and go, but with the ota suitable for imaging in the near future.

I think I've settled on the ES triplet APO 102, on a sky watcher star discovery mount: does that sound reasonable? My logic is that will make a good visual grab and go, and a good imager on an eq mount that I'll buy for home, soon.

Stop me if its a terrible plan/setup!

Cheerd
Old 16-03-2016, 07:37 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post

I think I've settled on the ES triplet APO 102, on a sky watcher star discovery mount: does that sound reasonable? My logic is that will make a good visual grab and go, and a good imager on an eq mount that I'll buy for home, soon.

Good plan !
Old 19-03-2016, 03:05 AM
Hemi

Ok so I just ordered the es 102 from opt Corp, along with the illuminated finder and a WO xwa 3.5mm. I hope that's not too much mag for this scope.

Any recommendations for wide field low mag eye piece? I have a 1.25 40mm plossl. Was thinking of a wo 2in swa 33 from Andrews?

Thanks for all the advice
Old 19-03-2016, 12:33 PM
CAAD9 (Adam)

Hi everyone,

I've read this whole thread with quite a bit interest. I have a refractor question too. I don't know if I should start a new thread or if it's ok to ask in this one. Well anyway here it goes:

What solution for wide field observing?

I'm mainly into visual observing.

I use biggish fast dobs for going deep, but Open clusters and rich star fields lose their lustre in these.

I have a pair of 11 x70 binos but I find them too heavy for star viewing.

I have a cheap 80mm (400 fl) refractor, which I acquired as a sort of wide field proof of concept.

The results with the short 80 are mixed. The widest view is 3.9deg tfov through a 32mm plossl. That is wide enough but the viewing is poor. Very low magnification and with a washed out background sky. Colours are off at the edge.

I note that when I put the type6 Nagler 13mm in, the seeing through the scope improves immeasurably, to the point where I actually like it. However the 13mm cuts the tfov down to 2.5degrees, thereby mostly defeating the purpose.

So my wide field / refractor question is:

1) is it the OTA that needs upgrading? I get that for Photography you need the better OTA(ED, doublet, etc), but is that also as vital for visual?
2) do I move up the food chain in the eyepiece department, something like a 24 mm 68deg afov EP? That would maximise tfov through a 1.25" focuser but improve magnification and exit pupil.
3) try to do something about mounting the binos to make them more star viewing friendly?

Any and all views are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
Old 19-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD9 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've read this whole thread with quite a bit interest. I have a refractor question too. I don't know if I should start a new thread or if it's ok to ask in this one. Well anyway here it goes:

What solution for wide field observing?

I'm mainly into visual observing.

I use biggish fast dobs for going deep, but Open clusters and rich star fields lose their lustre in these.

I have a pair of 11 x70 binos but I find them too heavy for star viewing.

I have a cheap 80mm (400 fl) refractor, which I acquired as a sort of wide field proof of concept.

The results with the short 80 are mixed. The widest view is 3.9deg tfov through a 32mm plossl. That is wide enough but the viewing is poor. Very low magnification and with a washed out background sky. Colours are off at the edge.

I note that when I put the type6 Nagler 13mm in, the seeing through the scope improves immeasurably, to the point where I actually like it. However the 13mm cuts the tfov down to 2.5degrees, thereby mostly defeating the purpose.

So my wide field / refractor question is:

1) is it the OTA that needs upgrading? I get that for Photography you need the better OTA(ED, doublet, etc), but is that also as vital for visual?
2) do I move up the food chain in the eyepiece department, something like a 24 mm 68deg afov EP? That would maximise tfov through a 1.25" focuser but improve magnification and exit pupil.
3) try to do something about mounting the binos to make them more star viewing friendly?

Any and all views are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
A better optical tube is the way to go. Having an ED or triplet lens really gives better visual images of the MilkyWay etc, as well as the bonus of providing good views of the planets.

Adam, I briefly had a 80mm F5 scope, and like U, I noticed that it only gave acceptable images with an EP that had an exit pupil of 2.something mms. An ED Scope costs a lot more, but it is worth it!
Old 19-03-2016, 02:56 PM
CAAD9 (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
A better optical tube is the way to go. Having an ED or triplet lens really gives better visual images of the MilkyWay etc, as well as the bonus of providing good views of the planets.

Adam, I briefly had a 80mm F5 scope, and like U, I noticed that it only gave acceptable images with an EP that had an exit pupil of 2.something mms. An ED Scope costs a lot more, but it is worth it!
Thanks for the feedback Bob. A 24mm fl EP will keep the exit pupil in the high 4s , that's definitely something to keep in mind.

Cheers,

Adam
Old 20-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Hemi

Well opt Corp emailed to say that the es102 is on back order, so no chance I'll have it before the trip. Cancelled the order and now hunting again for a grab n go. Bintel have a Orion star seeker 130 f5 newt, that might just do! Would be a shame to have 10 days in the Kimberly without a scope!!
Old 21-03-2016, 02:07 PM
CAAD9 (Adam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Well opt Corp emailed to say that the es102 is on back order, so no chance I'll have it before the trip. Cancelled the order and now hunting again for a grab n go. Bintel have a Orion star seeker 130 f5 newt, that might just do! Would be a shame to have 10 days in the Kimberly without a scope!!
That would be a travesty. Gees, have fun in the dark. I can't even imagine how clear and dark those skies would be.

My line of thinking is this scope won't be used anywhere near as much as the dobs, so won't justify the outlay of a new one. If anything (still an if), just find something in the classifieds here.

Have a great trip Hemi.
Old 22-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Hemi

Thanks Adam,

I overlooked the CF version which is in stock, and I've just ordered! Fingers crossed it gets here from the us in time. It came with the illuminated finder scope, case and a 30mm 82deg ES EP. So for the extra $400 it's probably a better deal. It's 1.5 Kg lighter as well.

....excited!