Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Danny_86 (Danny)

iOptron Skytracker

Hey guys, I've just ordered the iOptron Skytracker & have the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, 50mm f/1.4, 17-40mm f/4 & 8 16mm f/4.5 to 5.6. I was wondering if anyone has taken photos with these lens or any other lens of objects out in space (Nebulae & Galaxies). If so feel free to add photos up, plus I was wondering what setting were used & how many photos were stacked, plus how long each exposure were so I have an idea.

I'm looking forward to getting it next week & start getting some great shots done. Hope to here & see what everyone has done.

Cheers
Old 18-10-2013, 07:55 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Here is one I took with a 50mm using the Polarie.

From memory it was ISO 800, f/4.0 and nearly 2 hours worth of around 2 minute exposures.
I could of exposed longer but the LP started to take over if I went longer.

http://astropaz.weebly.com/uploads/1...8020/3bacc.jpg
Old 18-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Danny_86 (Danny)

Hey Jarrod, Great shot, does it help to close the aperture down a bit? was the polarie easy to setup?
Old 19-10-2013, 12:44 AM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Cheers.
Generally it helps to close it a touch, for 50mm f/4.0 works fine, I have read 4.5 even which I will try out soon. I think I'd be stopping down all lenses by a couple of stops but it's trial and error, if you notice odd star shapes or bloating stars then stop the lens down a bit further.

The Polarie is a breeze but I have the advantage of the pole star in the northern hemisphere so it makes life very easy.
I have never tried it in the south but if you can locate Octans I believe it's fairly straight forward.

You can use the sight hole for a quick and easy setup up, no more than a few minutes or the polar scope which requires a bit more patience but it's still easy and quick.