Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Yep those little firstscope things are just a toy, and one of the best ways to turn beginners away from the hobby.
The Skywatcher and Orion table tops are a little better, but you would be much better off if funds are really limited getting a pair of 10x50 binos and using them to scan the skies.
Old 14-10-2012, 09:40 AM
GC - South Aus

RE: Binos

G'day Matt

Glad to hear you found some binoculars, as stated in my previous entries this would be a great start and you are using something you already have.

I personally would keep using those bino's in combination with star charts, a good beginners book (perhaps borrowed from your library) and a computer planetarium project (as suggested by others - stellarium is a good start).

If you have an Ipad or Iphone (or one of the other Android variants) you can also use plenty of free planetarium/astronomy app's for these in the field too (remember to use the red vision tab to save your night vision).

I understand that bino's can be difficult to hold, especially over a prolonged period of time, even more so when you start using bigger ones. To overcome this problem (as suggested in my previous entry) use either a tripod (this can be hard on the neck though!) or preferably a good reclining deck chair or lounger. Perhaps even a roll out foam camping mat with a sleeping bag on top so you can lay down on the ground. You will find observing with bino's so much easier this way!

Join a local astro club/association (as mentioned before), speak with others, look through their scopes and get a feel for what is right for you. Avoid the tempetation to rush in and buy something that will dissapoint or you will out grow very quickly (the common mistake we all make when beginning - and even now!).

I would then stick that $200 you have in the bank, keep adding to it and watch it grow (tell everyone you would appreciate money as a gift for birthday and Christmas, but tell them why you are saving and what you are aiming for!). As a goal find a nice scope perhaps a Dobsnian (GSO or Skywatcher etc) around the 8" (200mm) mark, these will cost around $499 for the GSO (see Andrews Communications as a guide http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm). These type of Dob packages come with most of the stuff required to get you started (i.e. a few plossl EP's etc).

Print off its picture and the amount next to it, stick it up on your wall, noticeboard or fridge (somewhere you will see it) to remind you of this goal and what you are saving for. You will be there in no time!

Best of luck, only $299 to go.

Regards

Gav