Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 19-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Luna (Annie)
Chu!

Hi :)

Hey everyone!
I'm a newbie so I thought I'd come introduce myself. I've just finished my first year of science at uni and while I have some time to kill until class starts up, I've begun watching some astronomy lectures on dvd that my Dad lent me. I really wanted to try astronomy at uni but I suck hardcore at maths and physics so I had to stay away from it. I don't really know a thing about it; I'm still trying to learn to recognise constellations I haven't had a chance to have a good star gazing session yet and I don't have any equipment but I'm keen to learn more about it.
Old 19-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Welcome to IIS Annie
Old 20-12-2011, 12:14 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Welcome Annie
I hav'nt got the greatest science/mathematical/physics/chemistry background, but hey, we are all equal here on this forum in the fact that if you have a question or want to say something .....just do/ask it!
Constellations you will eventually pick up as you see and observe more and more.
Have a look at some of the threads in regards to being a "cosmologist"...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=83580
This one is a bit full on and lengthy, but have a look anyway......
Cheers
Barman
Old 20-12-2011, 12:17 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Annie!
Welcome to Ice In Space.
You've come to the right place.
Have you bought a copy of Australian Sky and Telescope yet?
It has a brilliant all sky map that will help you start with the Constellations.
Old 20-12-2011, 12:31 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Annie and Just read a few of the begginers threads and you will get an idea as to what you can do .
Just ask away with the Questions ,you can be sure you will get an answer
Cheers
Old 20-12-2011, 05:25 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Annie, to the madhouse.
I suggest you download Stellarium. Free software that will help you identify what you are seeing. Easy to use and you can set it up for your location so it will show you exactly what is overhead right now.
www.stellarium.org I think. Google will find it anyway.

Have you got a pair of reasonably sized binoculars ? Not these cheap miniature things they advertise in the catalogs but the good old fashioned binocs. If not can you borrow some ? Almost any magnification and bigger lens will show you more than you can imagine even in a light polluted area and it's a good way to learn the constellations and stars. A pair of binocs may even show you the pale dustclouds of the nebula up in Orions Sword (M42), some larger star clusters like 47 Tucana and possibly the moons of Jupiter.
Most astronomers will have a pair of Binocs in their arsenal of equipment. Binocs and a deckchair can keep you going for ages to begin with.

I have a small 80mm refractor which seems to get as much use as my 10" scope and really isn't much bigger than a pair of good binocs. It's my 'Grab & Go' when a gap in the clouds appears. I am still impressed with how much can be seen through that when you know where to look.

Go for the Stellarium and if at all possible some binoculars to start with, cheap and effective. You are already on the slippery slope.

Cheers
Brent

Last edited by ZeroID; 20-12-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Grammar !!
Old 20-12-2011, 07:23 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Annie!
Old 20-12-2011, 08:26 AM
mishku

Hey Annie!

to IIS - we always love saying hi to new astrochicks!

Have you seen the BRILLIANT Professor Brian Cox yet?? Formerly of D:Ream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-ai9HuR60), he's now a v dishy astrophysicist, who delights in flashing his pearly whites at us all, and jumping out of helicopters (safety first! ) .... He has a great series called "Wonders of the Universe". You're welcome!
Old 20-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Welcome aboard!

H
Old 20-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Annie and welcome to IIS

You have definitely come to the right place so ask all the questions you want.

Astronomy is a great hobby, enjoy the cruise.

Cheers
Old 20-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Luna (Annie)
Chu!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
To answer a few questions :

jjjnettie – No I haven’t got a copy of sky and telescope but I saw a link to it and it looks pretty cool. I might have to get one.

ZeroID – Thanks for the tip about stellarium. I'll download that cos it sounds pretty awesome. I was using google sky map on my phone the other night and I found Saturn which made me excited XD I haven’t got any binoculars but I’ll go to my parents place and see if I can dig up Dad's old ones or else I’ll probably just buy some.

mishku – I was watching QI the other day (to get my Stephen Fry kick) and Brian Cox happened to be a guest. It was awesome, 2 for the price of 1!! I have seen 2 episodes of Wonders of the Universe but I kept forgetting to watch it when it was on, so I think I’ll have to ask Santa for it this year

I’ll have to go and poke around the beginner threads so I can start getting my head around stuff.
I'm sure I'll have questions when I figure out what it is I need to ask.

Old 20-12-2011, 02:28 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Herro

Hi Annie,

What JJJ said, seriously get Sky and Telescope, this month is fantastic and has a very broad range of articles.

Many of it ( I assume) dont have big degrees, you often dont need it to be into astronomy. Going outside and looking up and admiring is often all most people get to do.

If you were interested in getting more serious. A reasonable 6" or more dobsonion telescope is a good start. You can purchase them from many local retailers but on IIS we have our favourites, http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm, http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/...3/catmenu.aspx.
other than that, a decent pair of binoculars are also a good investment. Start small and work your way up, getting serious into the science of astronomy can be quite costly but is very rewarding.

Viewing from the city can still be rewarding however if you have friends or family that are in the country, take a trip one clear weekend and be prepared to be blown away.

As ZeroID suggested, grab stellarium as well Its opensource software and is very good at showing you whats up.

The IIS community is very good, I am a reasonably new member as well (2 years max) I have posted heaps and read endless ammounts of info, they are a great community and will make you feel at home.

Some members are Melbourne based and im sure they might be willing to have an astro night one day. Im sure there is clubs in melbourne as well, these can be good. For me I have limited time so a club was not for me, IIS is my club they make good friends well.

Steve
Old 20-12-2011, 04:29 PM
joebee (Joe)

Welcome Annie, Sky and Telescope is great and recomend the Australian Sky Atlas that are for sale in bookshops to see what we have here in the Southern Hemisphere. I also collect all books and all magazines that I can get my hands on, they are out there on the net, but you have to know where to look.
Old 20-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Annie,

to IceInSpace, you will finf lots of usefull info here and friendly advice.
Old 20-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Hi Annie, welcome
Old 20-12-2011, 06:29 PM
mishku

Hi Annie,

Let me know if you want info on things that happen in Melbourne - I'm new too (6 months ish) but have met some of the folks.

You're also welcome to swing by our dark sky chat

http://www.darkskyau.com/chat/chat/flashchat.php#

and you can ask questions in real time folks normally start arriving about 9-10pm ish
Old 20-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Mutley (Paul)

Hi Annie, Stellarium for the computer is great, Sky and Telescope and also next to it on the magazine rack The Sky at Night, Both are great. The Sky at night is a UK publician but has the Southern Hemisphere charts in it. Enjoy
Old 20-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

woohooo another astro chick

to IIS Annie you will love it here

Yes stellarium is great and simple to use it keeps me amused on cloudy nights
Old 20-12-2011, 11:07 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
I’ll have to go and poke around the beginner threads so I can start getting my head around stuff. [/FONT]I'm sure I'll have questions when I figure out what it is I need to ask.

Hi Annie and welcome

You don't need to go read all that stuff in the beginner section. There's too much to read.

It's really easy. Let me explain it ALL right now so you don't have to go reading through all those threads:

The stuff is up there (as I point skywards), but you have to wait until dark to see it all except the sun and Moon and a few other super-dooper bright objects ('super-dooper' being a very scientific word).

When it gets dark look up through a telescope or binoculars and you will see all these white dots (they are actually enormous glowing balls of burning gas! Yeah, I know, hard to believe ain't it).
You may also see some smudgy (yep, smudgy is another scientific word) bits. They are Nebula. Lots of gassy stuff from where one of those enormous glowing balls of burning gas blew up!

Then if you look even harder some of the Fuzzy Blobs (yep, you guessed it, another scientific term) have a spinning spirally shape to them. They are whole galaxies.
Anything else is a UFO or Rabbits on your lens (also called dust-bunnies)

There ya go, that's it

You is now a astromonizer, ummm . . astromonyer . . . astronniter . . a telescope user

Enjoy
Old 20-12-2011, 11:15 PM
mishku

Ken

"reading too hard. me want see fuzzies NOW"