Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Bertrand

Advice on Celestron Sky Hopper/Other Dobsonians for a beginner

Hi all. Aussie here. I stumbled on this fine forum during my search for info on reasonably priced Dobs. There seems to be lots of friendly people, so I thought I'd jump right in and ask a couple of questions.

I'm reasonably new to astronomy. I have a couple of old cheap scopes that have allowed me to see Saturn's rings and a few of Jupiter's moons, but from what I have read online, an 8 inch Dob will greatly improve my viewing experience, and is not a massive investment.

Amazon lists the Orion Skyquest XT8 at about US$350, but will not ship to Australia, where I live. There are a few other places I've seen them as well, but they too refuse to ship here. The domestic prices all seem to be nearly double that. Still a bargain I'm sure.

So in my ebay search today I noticed this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Celestron...item3a67ec325c

I happen to have relatives near this scope and am quite keen to buy it, but info on this particular model seems a bit scarce. Maybe it has a different name when listed on review sites or something, this is where you helpful guys come in.

Does anyone have experience with this scope?
Are there better places I could look for a nice 8-12 inch Dob?

I appreciate your feedback, and apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place or offended anybody.

Thanks again guys.

Bert.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 AM
scagman (John)

Hi Bert aboard.
I can't give you any info on the scope on ebay.

If you check out some of the frieght forwarding companies you may be able to get a scope from the states. I have used a company called shipito,com to get an orion guide scope from the states. There are a number of these companys you can use.
I found the freight prices competive.

Which ever scope you end up getting you will enjoy it and the great people on IIS will be able to help out with all your questions as they have with mine.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

celestron have an alliance with synta corp - who make the skywatcher scopes, unless its a really old model it probably came from one of the synta group factories. 350 is a good price
all modern dobs are decent - though occassionally a bad one comes up - also check bintel & andrewscom for there dob prices as
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Bertrand

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Old 13-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Bert

Without sighting the dob yourself, If it were me, I would be a little concerned where those dents are on the tube and the condition of the mirror. Tube dents are common and often don't pose a problem aside from aesthetics, but I'd be concerned if those dents were near the mirror cell.

The ebay site shows that it is currently on bid for $365 with two days yet to go. Honestly, if it were me, I would be going new for not much more cost and the security of a warranty.

Andrews Communications are selling brand new GSO 10" dobs at the moment on special for only $500!

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm
Keep scrolling down the page until you come down to the dobsonian telescopes.

They generally sell used around that price. To give you a comparison, a new 8" sells for around $449.
I just noticed also that they had the 6" on special for only $299 (that's ridiculously cheap!) but they are sold out ... not surprised.

Ring them and ask what they charge for shipping (they are only in Sydney), I think you'll find them quite reasonable.

Many of us buy from Andrews and are more than happy with their service.
(I do not work for Andrews, nor have any affiliation with them, yadda yadda).
Old 13-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Bertrand

Hey Suzy, thanks for the advice. I agree that a new 10" for $500 is great value, so that is now my plan! I will do some sussing around tonight and hopefully get an order placed. Thanks again to everyone for the help.
Old 13-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Mliss (Mel)

Bert,

I totally agree with Suzy. I've spent many hours trolling ebay, amazon and way too many online shops to mention. After (literally) months of searching and comparing prices I just couldn't get passed Andrews. There are lots of shops within Australia and even more options just waiting to zap hours from your day...

If you can get near a shop to check out some different scopes it may help with your decision. As tempting as it is, unless you're really sure I'd keep away from ebay. Esp as you're too far away to see the scope yourself first.

Suzy knows her stuff and like her, for that price check out the GSO dobs at Andrews. I spoke to a guy there this morning and they still have 10" Dobs in stock. the Limited 10" is $499 and delux is $549 - difference being the crayford focuser, which is no biggie and can always be upgraded later but not essential.

I don't know where you live in Aus but postage for me (south of Perth) was $145 and considering the distance and weight was a very nice surprise! But again, depending where you live this might not be an issue for you.

Best of luck, let us know what you decide

lol i don't work for Andrews either.
Old 13-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Bertrand

What an excellent day this has been so far! I just ordered the GSO 10" Limited from Andrews. I am in Newcastle, so shipping was only about $40. You guys are fantastic. Expect much flailing and telescope-around-hopping from my general direction in a few days when my scope arrives. Thanks again to everyone for the guidance.
Old 13-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Mliss (Mel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
What an excellent day this has been so far! I just ordered the GSO 10" Limited from Andrews. I am in Newcastle, so shipping was only about $40. You guys are fantastic. Expect much flailing and telescope-around-hopping from my general direction in a few days when my scope arrives. Thanks again to everyone for the guidance.
haha i know, such an awesome day!! CONGRATS on your purchase!!

you'll get your scope before me... and as far as future flailings, we'll be totally on the same page
Old 13-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Bertrand

Thanks Mliss, you too. I am preparing my eyes for Martian photons right now.
Old 13-07-2011, 05:13 PM
drylander (Peter)

Warning to all astro people in the newcastle region. Cloudy skies are about to become regular for a week or three. At least Bertrand can't affect me....oops too late
Pete
Old 13-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Bertrand

Hahaha, that figures.
Old 13-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Suzy

Woohoo I'm excited for you Bert!!!

You won't be sorry, trust me................

Have scope will travel tra la la la lah
Okay I have to admit if you were born within the last 25 years you'll probably have no clue what that statement means and I might appear a tad looney.

If you have never sited a 10" dob in person before (I get the feeling you haven't?), be aware they are large and come in even larger scary boxes.
But a 10" is certainly handle-able - even I can do it. To make it more mobile, just attach wheels to the base or use a trolley like the one they sell at Bunnings for only $25 (even have pneumatic tyres on them!).
Just don't faint when you see the size of the boxes. I bought my 6" dob (my first dob) sight unseen and when it got delivered I could have passed out right there and then from the sheer size of the boxes and the words going through my head "ah oh, what have I done now" and the other little voice on the other side of my shoulder saying "who's got a really big scope then."

Bert, once you get your scope, you will looking for things to look at and impress yourself with, so pop into the "Observational & Visual Astronomy" forum and also the sub forum titled "Observation Reports" (at the top of the obs. forum page) and have a good read of the threads in there for some nice targets.
In the meantime, scribble the following list down of impressive and bright targets to see through your scope. The list is a post from RobH (tks Rob, you saved me a lot of work so I just keep re-posting your list ).
Quote:
Try...
alpha Centauri (brilliant binary)
Albireo (beta Cygni) (beautiful orange/blue pair)
omega Centauri (most spectacular globular cluster)
47 Tucanae (also most spectacular globular cluster)
M22 (globular cluster in Sagittarius)
M13 (Hercules Globular Cluster)
M6 (Butterfly Cluster in Scorpius, not too far from M7)
M11 (Wild Duck Cluster in Scutum)
eta Carinae nebula
M8 (Lagoon Nebula)
All relatively bright objects.

Regards, Rob
Also, have a look at Rob's maps here. I love them! I printed them off and put them in plastic sleeves and then popped them into a ring binder. And if you haven't already got one, a planisphere will help you no end at learning the sky. I regard them as an important beginners item. Andrews Communications sell them too.

Perhaps we'll see you in the observation forum posting some time? Would love to hear your first light encounter posted in there and more reports following. The obs forum is a great place to educate yourself with visual astronomy, and a great bunch of people are attached to it. Hope to see you in there sometime. Errrr no pressure or anything .

Hi Mel
Hurry up and get that scope woman so you can start telling me what to look at.

P.S.
I hope I never see the day when my emoticons are going to have a higher word count than the text itself.
Old 13-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Bertrand

That is a great help Suzy, thanks very much for the awesome info. The size isn't worrying me too much, I'm pretty tall and not looking forward to some hardcore crouching to get to the eyepiece. The guy on the phone said it's roughly 150cm in height and 30kg in weight. He wasn't sure though.
Old 13-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Tall and strong or not the last thing you want to do is slip, wrench your back and bust your scope. A hand cart is an inexpensive safety feature that makes life a lot easier.

Having said that a 10" dob mounted reflector is definitely going to give you the wow factor.

Has anyone mentioned COLLIMATION to you. If not, best to look it up and get the hang of it cause it is a needed skill.

And a nice stool solves the crouching problem as well as improving your viewing by making you more stable.

Enjoy,
Brian
Old 13-07-2011, 07:24 PM
esky (Craig)

Congrats on the purchase! I have just bought a 12" from Andrews and its amazing! Get ready for the box that looks like the size of a coffin, and you will be dead set impressed with the views it brings! lol terrible joke...

The weight sounds about right. I don't really struggle with a 12" carrying it, but I separate it from the base. It is more awkward than heavy.

You'll have to check out the observing nights down near Toronto next new moon. I went to my first one a couple weeks back and it was fun checking out what other people had. I hadn't quite received my scope in time, but there was a bloke there with a Skywatcher 10". Google Newcastle Astronomical Society if your keen
Old 13-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Mliss (Mel)

Suzy you totally crack me up! Those voices in my head are doing exactly that right now!! The dude said by the end of next week!! I'm SOOOO excited!

150cm ?? I'm only 13cm taller! Aaaaaaawesome!
Bert you just HAVE to come back and write something when you get your scope.
Old 13-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esky View Post
Get ready for the box that looks like the size of a coffin, and you will be dead set impressed with the views it brings! lol terrible joke...

A terrific video demo on collimation here performed by the staff at Orion Telescopes. After watching this demo even I was mad keen to give it a go (hubby has been doing it all this time) and I did it- piece of cake with the laser collimator thingy. Aye, if I can do it anyone can. As everyone says, the more you do it, the quicker you'll get at it and I can see why after doing it the first time myself.

And a Telrad will be your next best friend I just got mine and gave it a whirl last night, I see now why everyone loves them, certainly makes finding things a lot easier.

Here is a current running thread on observing chairs.

Did I mention the bottomless pit of astro spending

And I'd also like to add that Brian is spot on with his words of caution- please do take care.
Old 13-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Suzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mliss View Post

Suzy you totally crack me up! Those voices in my head are doing exactly that right now!! The dude said by the end of next week!! I'm SOOOO excited!

150cm ?? I'm only 13cm taller! Aaaaaaawesome!
Bert you just HAVE to come back and write something when you get your scope.
Really?
The time is finally near... oh my.. I just can't wait Mel!!!
Listen to me.. I sound like I'm getting the scope
Oh it's so exciting!!! Dare I say it, it's well ahemm *clear throat* nearly like welcoming a member of the family"
Keep us posted Mel, I'm really happy for you!

P.S. I did say it came up to my chin, and I'm 5"5
Old 13-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Mliss (Mel)

HAHAHAHA

AWWWWWWWWW thanks Suzy i've been trying to get the same reaction from my 3 yr old all day but she was more excited about going to Bunnings

you're such a sweetheart and TOTALLY GET ME!!!
and these emoticons just aren't big enough!
I'm trying not to think about it but then remember and break out in this delirious 'little kid at Xmas time' giggle. My children think i've lost it

sorry Bert, i feel like i'm totally hijacking your thread or at the very least we're making it colourful