HyPer7 (Wayne)
It Does Not Compute

20 x 80 Triplet binos

G'day ppl
I am looking into purchasing some bino's, Thinking HighPower

20x80 triplet

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm

http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe80.html

Besides the $10 diff, they look to me, the same item (just rebadged)

p.s. maybe the 20x90's even

Cheers
Old 21-07-2006, 03:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been thinking similar. I wonder if one could use the triplet objective (I assume they mean the objective is the triplet???) for a neat little astrophoto scope? seems "cheap" for 2 triple lens I wonder how good they are? Are the 90's triplet I dont think so?
alex
Old 21-07-2006, 07:07 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I bought my 20x80T's from AOE a few weeks ago. With the weather the way it is I haven't had a good opportunity to put them through their paces yet, but my first impressions were very good.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ghlight=20x80T

So far they have had more use for whalewatching while I was on holidays (And they are good for that too!)

Al.
Old 21-07-2006, 10:20 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I noticed your comment re reflections internally, I am very sensative to such things as being in a very dark site one notices such things more I think. You may find some little dew tubes on each tube useful say about 4 to 6 inches. On my 6 inch I use a 2.5 foot long dew tube with baffles that produces excellent contrast and eliminates stray light. Look at any quality refractor they boast excellent and many baffles internally..well baffles work even better before you get to the objective or secondary (look at the Hubble they use that approach with baffles in the tube and well past the secondary)
Do you have any idea if the lens in your binnos are used in any triplet scopes (A Williams apo he hopes) as I said it could be a cheap source for a triple lens for a great astrophoto 80mm scope (in fact two of them). I think you can buy a Williams triplet to replace doublets at $400 US (I really cant recall the exact price but it was interesting given a apo 80 scope is about $1500.. but how nice to buy the binos at that price and build 2 scopes maybe as good as $1500 would buy.
alex