Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Sma012 (John)

6 Inch Maksutov Cassegrain Pics

Hi Everyone, I just bought myself an above and had some problems with it so now its going back to the supplier. I was just wandering since i didn't get to try it out, and it'll probably be a while until i can, does anyone have pictures of what they have seen through one of these? Mainly looking at the moon and the planets?

Kind Regards
Old 30-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Mike21 (Michael)

Hello John,

I have no piccies for you but I can say that I am commencing a similar adventure. I uhmed and ahhed at Andrews Comm's $999 Promak180 (7.1") and then She sanctioned the idea, so I got it. I had my first look last night. Viewing was a tease. It looked good naked eye, but was pretty poor through any of my scopes. I can report that it there was more detail of Jupiter than through my Megrez 110. And I was very impressed when Omega Centuri virtually filled the FOV with twinkles. Though it may take as long for me to get a good clear view as it does you. I can't believe how much water Newcastle attracts.

Mike.
Old 30-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Mike21 (Michael)

Ooohps, I forgot the whole purpose of my reply. I know they're off a vendor's website, but here are some claimed photo's taken with a Promak 180.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...KULZe-M4j87J4B

As far as I understand Maks are synonymous with very long focal lengths and consequently slow f-ratios. I don't expect you'll see many examples of astroshots through Maks just because those interested in photography prefer SCT's.

Mike.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Sma012 (John)

Hahahaha. Okay good. Thats made me more excited. I'm Glad to hear the thing is working so well or better yet the potential it has. I hope they look like those in the link.

Thanks for sharing the experience Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

What problems did you have, John?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Mike21 (Michael)

Yeh, I'm dubious about your views looking like the piccies in the ads, but if you like planets and the Moon, your choice is in the right ball-park. IF the photos were kosher, the camera nearly always captures more than the eye. I'd like to hear what you think once you're in action. With 6" Mak, only the weather should disappoint your views of the Moon.

Incidentally, did you get a sky full of dust come over from the West today down there in Sydney?

Mike.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 PM
evilloz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sma012 View Post
Hi Everyone, I just bought myself an above and had some problems with it so now its going back to the supplier. I was just wandering since i didn't get to try it out, and it'll probably be a while until i can, does anyone have pictures of what they have seen through one of these? Mainly looking at the moon and the planets?

Kind Regards
Hi Mike

I have a 6" Mak
Here's a pic of the moon taken a few weeks ago. Hope this is what you are looking for.
http://evilloz.deviantart.com/art/Mo...00mm-125081370

Lawrance
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Sma012 (John)

Hi glenluceskies,

My focuser was not working...at all. It turned and when it got to the extremes it tightened like it should but going form one extreme to the other there was no difference what so ever when looking through the telescope. Just blurry colours during the day and a dark navy blue and black when pointed at the sky at night.

Hi Mike,

No dust came to Sydney fortunately or atleast not where i live (Western Suburbs). I heard about it though..Reeked havack on some asthmatics.

Thanks for the picture Lawrence unfortunately i can't look at it where i am but i will definately a bit later this afternoon.