Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-02-2007, 08:04 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

16" LB needs Paracorr?

When the new Meade 16" Lightbridge hits the stores, will it need a Paracorr to correct the image? I have asked this question to myself and I think it just might. I'm no expert but from what I've read most scopes at f4.5 will need one.

Also, I understand that most Paracorrs will deliver a magnification effect of about X1.3. Is it the mag effect alone that helps correct the image or other processes? In other words, if I wanted to use a Barlow to achive a desired magnification, would I also need to use a Paracorr?

Thoughts.
Old 16-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumpolar View Post
from what I've read most scopes at f4.5 will need one.
Hi,
The question is "will i want one?" At f4.5 many will whereas others can tolerate coma or are not as picky. I wouldnt not buy the scope simply for not being able to afford a parracorr.

Quote:
Also, I understand that most Paracorrs will deliver a magnification effect of about X1.3. Is it the mag effect alone that helps correct the image or other processes?
A barlow is not the same thing as a coma corrector. The 1.3x lengthening of focal length is just a side effect of this particular design of coma corrector.
Old 16-02-2007, 08:54 PM
circumpolar (Matt)
and around we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler View Post
I wouldnt not buy the scope simply for not being able to afford a parracorr.
I can afford a Paracorr and I am becoming picky . I am slowly building my EP collection, only buying premium now. Do you think a quality EP like TV Naglers will eliminate the need for a Paracorr in this scope or others running f4.5?
Old 16-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Gama

Geoff is correct in saying some people tolerate it.
I suggest you wait until you look into one. I have a 22.5 f4.5 and i dont use anything for visual. Even though i do have the Baader MPCC corrector, i only use it with imaging. I cant really see much if any difference in the images thru the eyepieces. Another thing to remember, the paracor will extend the focal length. You may want to check out the Baader MPCC corrector, its pretty darn good, and does not effect the f ratio like others.
What eyepieces do i use ?, well the 24mm UWA series 5000, the 14mm UWA series 4000, the 8mm UWA series 4000 just to name a few, plus some cheap 2" 40mm jobs as well, which are very pleasent to use.
Old 16-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Do you think a quality EP like TV Naglers will eliminate the need for a Paracorr in this scope or others running f4.5?
Nope, I think using such quality eyepieces will make it much more likely that you will want a paracorr

The reason being that lesser eyepieces will have EOF abberations masking the coma that is present, whilst the naglers will be much better corrected, making the telescopes coma more noticeable.
A coma corrector wont fix an eyepiece that has its own built-in abberations, but it will remove coma to allow sharp widefield views in eyepieces good enough to allow it.

I'll be going through the same process myself when i get my f4.8 truss dob in a month or two. I'll certainly be trying a paracorr before deciding to buy
Old 17-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Satchmo

Quote:
Also, I understand that most Paracorrs will deliver a magnification effect of about X1.3.
Paracor is 1.15 X `barlow' magnification. Why don't you wait until you get your scope and see if the optical quality warrants it.
Old 17-02-2007, 10:41 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

just go for something with a smaller fov... easy way out
it will probably be only in wide andgle EPs that you will have a problem
Old 17-02-2007, 01:18 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Suchting View Post
Why don't you wait until you get your scope and see if the optical quality warrants it.

This is great advice!!!

Clear Skies!
Old 18-02-2007, 06:16 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Suchting View Post
Why don't you wait until you get your scope and see if the optical quality warrants it.
And which in my experience means, the better the mirror the more likely it will benefit from a parcorr.

I enjoy mine paticularly on nebulae where it seems to bring out the fine detail and boosts contrast.

It does suit Naglers beter than any other eyepieces though so it could end up being an expensive purchase in the long run!
Old 18-02-2007, 09:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Make sure it has a nice evening dress. Truss contruction is great but they still need shielding from stray light, a dress and a dew tube add greatly to contrast and improve in effect the optics by oferring better contrast.
alex