Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Under a starry sky (Looooong)

Don't know if I qualify for the "Observational Astronomy" section yet so here's a beginner's report of last night.

I've been waiting soooooo loooooong for a clear night, so when the smoke cleared and the forecast was for a clear night (and 25 deg C - in Melbourne!! ) I said that's it - will the boss allow me to come in late on Thursday? - wait a minute, I am the acting boss this month - permission granted!!

Set off for my secret, special, dark (well not the view to the south - blast you, Melbourne, even when tens of km away!) site with my work colleague and a car load of four pairs of binoculars, a green laser pointer, various tripods, my "big binocular mount" (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=16090), planisphere, books listing constellations, printed maps for the evening already marked up with some viewing targets.

First time I've ever been set up before sunset - that's great! Sit and relax, say Hi to the passing walkers/cyclists etc (what are they doing in my secret location??).

As the police suggested last time they busted me in the bushes here with a big set of binoculars , I called the local police station to tell them I was here. Absolutely no interest!

Stroll past the trees blocking the westerly view, and, as the sun sets, spot Venus so as to get my bearings for the great comet viewing of this weekend and next week.

Sit and relax some more and watch the stars slowly appear. Balmy weather, warm - I'm guessing that normally equates with poor "seeing"? Doesn't matter - no smoke and few clouds - paradise!!

30x100s are set up on my mount - second workout for them. 20x80s on a tripod - about fourth workout for them. 11x60s on a crappy tripod for a while, then hand-held until Saturn. My 40 year old 7x50s, hand-held.

Start with Orion, Hayades and the Pleiades as the sky darkens slowly.

Move to the Jewel Box. The 30x100s do a marvellous job of resolving the central orange star.

Laser pointer proves very handy - both pointing out things to see and identifying what my work colleague has found hand-held. We found we could hand-hold the 11x60s quite well - particularly when seated in my comfortable Clark Rubber reclining chair with elbows on the arm rests.

Work up from Crux through that beautiful Carina area - I still don't know it well - I name several beautiful clusters and a nebula I discover, but I suspect someone else has done so before me?

Milky Way is now standing out prominantly. LMC and SMC visible to naked eye. We look at the Tarantula Nebula, pick out 47 Tuc - that's getting to be so easy. Then move to a new globular cluster from the charts - NGC 362 - got it!

First real objective of the night - M1 - the Crab Nebula. I searched for that sucker for 30 minutes. Nothing! Failed as an amateur astronomer - cannot even find M1!! What hope is there for me! Work colleague who has been in awe of my ability to name a few stars and a few constellations and find pretty sights for her to look at , says: "Are you sure you are starting from the right star?" "Humph! Am I starting from the right star!!" Thinks - "Am I starting from the right star??" Checks charts, looks at sky, checks charts again - guess what - I'm not starting from the right star! Move to right star, scan the relevant location - hey a grey smudge in the 20x80s and 30x100s! Check it's not a fingerprint on the eyepiece ( ) - I'm back on track as an amateur astronomer!

By now, the wind is picking up - the 20x80s jiggle too much for small targets. Even the 30x100s have added a little jiggle to the sway.

Doesn't matter, the second target for the evening, Saturn has just risen. Start in the 11x60s - Yep! That is a lovely yellow colour, and not your regular spherical shape - the elongation can be clearly seen - 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock. Advance to the 20x80s and 30x100s and examine carefully as it continues to rise. The wind is becoming mean to us - it's hard to get the binoculars steady. However when they do, we have no trouble convincing ourselves we can see the gap between rings and planet. I knew the orientation, but my work colleague didn't, but she correctly described it. And, she says, what about the bright speck above the planet at 11:30 o'clock. Yep, when the wind dies, I can see it to! (A few hours ago, I checked Saturn moon locations for last night and it's Titan! - Woo-hoo!)

OK, Moon starting to rise - third target for the night. Jiggle and sway is less of a problem on this beauty! We sear our night vision through the 20x80s and 30x100s as we identify various craters from the lunar chart. Fun for another 40 minutes or so.

Time to pack up - cloud starting to roll in, in fact we've been viewing the Moon through cloud all the time. Easy to pack up in the moonlight. I've got everything put away except the 30x100s, when I looked up and thought - I haven't been up this late in the few months since I started this caper - what about (pause for effect!) - Omega Centauri! . The sky is flooded with moonlight, cloud cover is increasing - quick check of the chart, then start scanning the correct location - there it is - what a beauty! Mark that away for a future moonless night - maybe some months time when I can get it earlier in the night!

Overall, a marvellous night and I'm quite pleased with my current equipment - I can learn/see a lot with this.

Two hour drive home punctuated by a drop-off - finish listening to Beatles "Love" album then move to Joss Stone "Mind Body and Soul" - birthday presents. Still 29 deg C in Melbourne - the city is restless. A great night!

And, compared to previous trips, the opposite occurs - fully clouded by the time I get home! I've been so used to being clouded out, but under starry sky when I get home.
I'm tired - I'm half a day behind in my work - I'm HAPPY
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
matt
6000 post club member

Great stuff erick

Sounds light a great night and very encouraging as I've just ordered a pair of binos myself - my first bino, in fact.

I'm really looking forward to some bino astronomy
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
stephenmcnelley

What an essay !! Nicely written Erick i felt like i was there too. Being tired but happy...lol, that hits it on the head, especially when you can share it with others.
Great to hear someone putting the bino's to work, mine save me a lot of time when it comes to some observational astro calculations and estimations and besides they really do satisfy the need to take in a large vista.

Wait 'till winter mate and we have such beautiful windows like Virgo to peer into.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Mr. Subatomic

Hey Erick,

Glad you enjoyed the night mate! Only makes me want to get out there and take a peek into the heavens. I can't do that until I have my new telescope though, not long now not long now!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Argonavis (William)
E pur si muove

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post

First real objective of the night - M1 - the Crab Nebula. I searched for that sucker for 30 minutes. Nothing! Failed as an amateur astronomer - cannot even find M1!! What hope is there for me! Work colleague who has been in awe of my ability to name a few stars and a few constellations and find pretty sights for her to look at , says: "Are you sure you are starting from the right star?" "Humph! Am I starting from the right star!!" Thinks - "Am I starting from the right star??" Checks charts, looks at sky, checks charts again - guess what - I'm not starting from the right star! Move to right star, scan the relevant location - hey a grey smudge in the 20x80s and 30x100s!

In trying to find M1, I find that starting from the wrong star and going in the wrong direction is very easy to do, and no matter what the size of the telescope M1 always seems just a smudge.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

M1 is difficult, its not a well defined object and quite diffuse. Don't worry about that little let down you had a blinder of a night.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcpb View Post
M1 is difficult, its not a well defined object and quite diffuse. Don't worry about that little let down you had a blinder of a night.

Good luck
Thanks for the encouragement. It was listed as a "challenging" object, but for smaller binoculars than I was using, so I didn't expect major trouble. Once I did find it - yes it was "not well defined and quite diffuse" - but it was clearly there, especially when I used the "averted vision" approach I've been reading about.

Only 109 more to go - then onto other lists (All with binoculars - I don't think so!!)
Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

I can barely see it in my 80mm let alone in bino's! It is as you say a very faint smudge with averted vision.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Sounds like you had a fine nights viewing.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Sounds like you had a fine nights viewing.
Yes thanks, absolute best so far - I could even tolerate the flies early in the evening and mosquitoes later (discouraged them with a dab of the Aeroguard!).