Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2014, 04:59 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2600 View Post
Hi yep that's the scope and its pretty good Jupiter and the moon look stunning jupiter is not quite as good as the pic but the moon is way better than those pics with the scope. The goto im still trying to work it out. It gives me a list of stars to line it up to but I don't know what any of the stars are or were just yet. I use the remote to just move it around at the moment but im learning all the time
Richard
Learning the bright stars is a skill that will help you right through this hobby. I can recommend a couple of resources to help with this.
http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx is an annual guide with good basic charts.
This book http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx is a guide to the bright stars and constellations that walks you through them and helps you locate them.
This http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx is a basic set of charts that include all the bright stars and many deep sky objects, most of which would be visible in your scope under a dark sky.
Collins http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx is a good basic reference for astronomy and the constellations.

Malcolm
Old 17-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

As you've got a Nexstar, learn some of the brighter (brighter than Mag 2) stars in the sky, then you can use auto 2-star alignment which is quicker to get going. And less button pushing
Old 17-02-2014, 08:10 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Wow, longest thread in history! I own an Orion Edge-On Planetary 6mm EP, and yes, your 12.5mm version will certainly be an upgrade from the 25mm that you got with the scope! Of course, the 25mm as has been stated already, is useful for different types of viewing than a more powerful EP. I was actually tossing up between that very same scope and a Dob...I chose the Dob mostly due to price, but yeah, wait til' you use your new EP... I think you'll be very impressed! And a barlow would really be a great idea too. Waaaaayyyyyy back at the beginning you mentioned you wanted a scope good for photography? A Dobsonian isn't really made for this purpose, although, I do understand you can do it with a bit of elbow grease, so to speak! Mate, I absolutely LOVED looking at the sky with no scope at all, and then when I started, I bought a Celestron Firstscope...a tiny little "dob" that barely showed a stripe on Jupiter (and that on a good night!)! But if you love looking at the heavens and give it time, it will become even more rewarding! (I'll never forget finding Uranus for the first time...I was on a high for days after!) I'm sure the right scope will turn up! Incidentally (and ironically) a few of us are squizzing on Friday night through my 8" dob and my mate's SCT...uh oh....
Old 18-02-2014, 03:20 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Just FYI Richard, on Gumtree a guy is selling an 11" Celestron Nexstar with a HOST of extras (including some very good EP's) for $2900 or so...
Old 26-02-2014, 09:00 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Woaw ! that's a lot of scope for the price and a MAJOR ! upgrade from the 130mm , it will be your last scope purchase for a L-O-N-G ,,, time as these are the bees knees of telescopes . ( except the C9.25 of course ) .
But seriously this is a very good price for a hell of a scope , but be quick .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSALM19.1 View Post
Just FYI Richard, on Gumtree a guy is selling an 11" Celestron Nexstar with a HOST of extras (including some very good EP's) for $2900 or so...
Old 27-02-2014, 03:02 PM
richard2600 (Richard)

I got my new eye piece and bought some books. Now just got too wait for weather to get better
Old 27-02-2014, 03:03 PM
richard2600 (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Woaw ! that's a lot of scope for the price and a MAJOR ! upgrade from the 130mm , it will be your last scope purchase for a L-O-N-G ,,, time as these are the bees knees of telescopes . ( except the C9.25 of course ) .
But seriously this is a very good price for a hell of a scope , but be quick .
Brian.
Yes I saw that good buy