Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Yeah I would hope that GSO make things to fit their own equipment, though stranger things have been known to happen. I did get my scope 6 years ago.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

I don't see the $29 one listed...

nvm.. I'm blind, and the universe always waits for you to make a fool of yourself

I guess the question is, what is the difference between a $59 one and a $29 one...

Maybe it's the fact one is plastic and the other is aluminium :/ I'm on a roll today!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Hi John,
Well telling you the story, I was out at Leyburn, our dark sky place South and inland from Toowoomba.
The night was exceptionally clear and I'd been looking in a friend's 18" dob.
I went back to my scope and dialled up alnitak and had a look at the photo I had (with a red light I hasten to add) orienting it so that I DIDN'T get Flame Nebula - I skipped the OTA over until Alnitak was not visible and went and got a beer - I sat down with my eyes closed for a while even though I could only see the milky way (which oddly enough was bright enough to cast a slight shadow) I got up and peered through my scope using averted vision and all the tricks, nothing did a bit of a spiral search - nope- sat down - had some more beer (same can, I'm not a soak!) about ten minutes later I got up thinking I'd head over to Saturn as it was clear of the trees.
After a minute or so I thought is that it? I could make out the softest variation with the darker horse's head - now whether this is my imagination playing tricks or not I don't know. Looked again, nope there's definitely something there. Looked again - nothing. Kept looking for a while - no it's gone. So it was very fleeting and also very there.
The scope was brand new as were my eyes! I'd spent 20 minutes with no visual input. Several hours with minimal input.
If you put me on a lie detector, I'll come out clean, whether it WAS Horsey, I will not be able to tell you until I repeat the situation.

I'm as certain as I can be, but I cold also be wrong.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

It's listed a little further down in with all the finder scopes.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:51 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Yeah I'm a post editor. Thanks though
Old 08-12-2010, 03:06 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Out of curiosity, how do you find your $29 RDF?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

I went for the $59. Lee said a competitor dared match his price so it's currently a lot cheaper
Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Jeeps (Sam)
Waiting for a clear night

I have the $59 one that didn't come with a block. It fits fine with my Skywatcher Dob's standard finderscope block.

cheers
Old 08-12-2010, 05:06 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Awesome thanks Sam
Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 PM
astro744

This thread has gone off topic!

A H-Beta filter is highly recommended for viewing the Horsehead nebula. Lumicon make a good one. See http://www.lumicon.com/astronomy-acc...d=1&cn=Filters and scroll down.

Works best with reasonable aperture and good exit pupil.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

I'm an expert at taking things off topic

when you say reasonable aperture size... what size is that?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:48 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZWiNG View Post
I'm an expert at taking things off topic

when you say reasonable aperture size... what size is that?
Sorry, should have elaborated. 8" and over with H-Beta filter. Anything 12" and over also with filter makes it much easier. 6" is possible under very dark skies with a filter. Try different magnifications (giving different exit pupils) and you'll find something that best matches your local conditions.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Yeah, I looked at the price, I'll have to pass on them for now... I need to start spotting more visible things first, but thats kewl to know that it could be possible with filter at least!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Trent & All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
It takes an exceptionally experienced observer, an exceptionally good telescope and outstanding observing conditions, to see it in any telescope under 12" aperture. On top of that a UHC filter helps somewhat and a H-Beta filter helps a lot. I have spent dozens of hours searching for it in 8" and 10" telescopes (good ones) with and without filters, without success. I remember I spent over an hour searching for it in my 10" scope at Wiruna ( at 2002 SPSP?) with Glen Dawes (co author of the Astronomy yearbook) under superb conditions without success. On the other hand, the Flame Nebula (NGC 2024) is very achievale in an 8" scope from dark skies.
Trent, it is very hard to add to, or meaningfully expand the advice given by Bammo that I've reproduced (quoted above). It is 100% spot on gospel. It could be sugar-coated but that won't help. John is one of the most experienced visual observers in Australia.

Note carefully those words "exceptionally experienced observer, an exceptionally good telescope and outstanding observing conditions". Yes, several reputable and experienced observers have managed it in 8" and even slightly smaller 'scopes, but for a beginner, it is an extremely tough ask. It's not that experienced observers have "super" or even better eyes than beginners. But, experienced observers do have accurately tuned expectations of exactly what to look for and this is be big difference. Many experienced observers equally have failed with 8" 'scopes. The smallest aperture I've seen it in is 10".

There was a Deep Sky Delights article in the January 2009 edition of Australian Sky & Telescope that dealt with the subject of the Horsehead that some might find helpful.

You can get back issues at the magazine web-site:

http://www.austskyandtel.com.au/TheM...U/Default.aspx

The flame nebula is very frequently mistaken for the horsehead -- don't fall into that trap!

Have a go by all means but ...

Best,

Les D
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Yeah I'm not expecting to see it. If I ever have enough money to buy a larger scope I'll start hunting it then.

So then, what are the requirements to view the flame nebula?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

Just finished a great viewing session at my regular spot and picked up the flame neb nice and easy then proceeded to catch very faint glimpses of the Horsehead over about a hour while using different lenses and comparing charts. Really need a UHC filter and will be on my list for sure!