Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Wiseman (Mark)

Hey!

hello!

I've been reading these forums for a bit now and decided to jump in on the fun!

I've got a celestron 6" nexstar127slt and a canon 600d and been trying to do some astrophotography with it, its ok but not the best. I want to get a bigger scope around the 10" size can anyone recommend any great scopes and mounts??

Thanks

Mark
Old 16-12-2012, 12:16 PM
scagman (John)

Hi Mark,

Welcome to IIS.
If you upgrade to a 10" you will probably have to upgrade the mount aswell and preferably to a EQ mount as they track the stars better.

I'm just a beginner too so I wont give any advice on what is best to get but the 2 most important things I think are.

1. portablilaty If its too big and heavy you possably wont use it as often as a smaller setup

2. The mount is the most important part. A good sturdy mount will give better results and allow longer exp. times.

Maybe look at getting a EQ mount and sticking the 6" on that at see how it goes, and if your sill not happy or get apature fever(its a very common problem, and there isn't much of a cure for it)

I'm sure that others will jump in and give some better advice as to what to get.

If you can tell them what you are taking pics of then they will be better be able to point you in the right direction.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers and again
Old 16-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Wiseman (Mark)

Thanks scagman,

I want to do some deep space photography, and yes i think i have that fever already! i have taken a fair amount of shots with the moon, Jupiter and Saturn and want to get into the deep space scene, any info on the photography side of things would be awesome to.

regards

Mark
Old 16-12-2012, 01:40 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

My most used scope for astro imaging is my ED80.
It gives great images, is light enough that my HEQ5Pro mount can handle the weight with ease.
It's a real work horse.