Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-12-2012, 05:20 PM
CJ (Chris)

Hello from a new member!

Hello all, just thought I’d introduce myself. I’m Chris. I live in Woombye on the Sunshine Coast.

I’m nudging 50, have a wife and two teenage sons.

I am the proud(?) owner of a recently purchased Skywatcher Heritage 130 dob (known as Dobbie), graduating up from a dirt cheap ebay refractor. As well as being a step up from the refractor, it’s been very educational, as I’ve been reading up on the names of the astronomers printed on the tube!

When I was a kid I used to get a thrill looking at the moon through my brothers cheap telescope. When I became a Dad I thought my two sons should have the same experience so I bought the cheap refractor. No research of course! Seeing the moon through my refractor was thrilling and we did mange to just make out the rings of Saturn too. It came with an equatorial mount, which I found very difficult to use. I’ve since figured out, with the help of youtube, how it works in theory but following a visit the Mapleton Observatory, I decided a Dobsonian was a more convenient option.

Through my dobbie the moon is startling and I can see the bands on Jupiter. I’ve not taken it to a dark site yet. My local sky is blighted by streetlights. Some light screens might be constructed soon!

I have seen some terrific sights courtesy of a couple of visits to Mapleton Observatory open nights. Seeing the moons of Jupiter plus a few nebulae put a smile on my face for days. A friend recently took me to a session at Ron’s Cambroon Observatory too. Thanks to Ron for making us very welcome and being very patient with us. More great sights there too!

I’ve been to a couple of planetariums over the years which inspired me to track down Stellarium, which I have been using for a while now. A fantastic and fascinating piece of free software.

I’m not a total noob but unfortunately, most of what I learn I forget!

Last edited by CJ; 14-12-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Font reduced
Old 14-12-2012, 05:50 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hi Chris, welcome to IIS. Sounds like you have had some good experiences at Mapleton and Cambroon a dark sky makes a huge difference. Hope we get some clear nights so you can give your new dobbie a good go.
Old 14-12-2012, 06:40 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Chris and to iceinspace.
I enjoyed the company of your family at Cambroon a month or so ago.
Come again soon, tomorrow if you are not doing anything .
Cheers
Old 14-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Mark_Heli (Mark)

Hi Chris,

Welcome to IIS .

Cheers,
Mark
Old 15-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Liz

Welcome Chris. and congrats on the arrival of Dobbie!!!

Agree ... Stellarium is fabulous for free software.
Old 15-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Chris & welcome!

It's an addictive, humbling, awe inspiring hobby isn't it.
Congratulations on your scope, many an enjoyable night ahead for you!
Ron is a great host and teacher, I love it there.
Old 15-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Kunama

Hi Chris and welcome. Many wonderful moments in store for you with the new scope.
You should be able to find some good dark sites around Woombye as well.
I lived in Mooloolaba for a decade and still have a townhouse in Buderim.
Looks like you're in good company with Ron, Lewis and many others on the coast.
Old 17-12-2012, 11:57 AM
CJ (Chris)

Thanks guys and gals

Thanks for the welcome messages!
Old 17-12-2012, 07:57 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Chris , and welcome from Darwin , if you are ever up this way give me call via here at IIS , its a great place for stargazing during the dry season .
You , like just about everyone else here started with a cheepy 60mm refractor as well but at least its a start in this great hobby , you never stop learning something, thats what makes it so cool .
On your " Dobby " they are cool scopes and you will get lots of use out of it . Enjoy mate, and I hope the family tag along on your journey .
Brian.
Old 18-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Woffy (John)

another Sunshine Coast beginner

Hi all,
I have joined over the weekend as well, and have been obsessively searching out equipment. I also live on the Sunshine Coast (Buddina) so I imagine that I will see you at Mapleton sometime Chris! Stellarium looks good, thanks for the tip.

I am 51 and still have the 60mm refractor that I was given when I was 9. It is my oldest possession. I still use it, but not often as I am now more worried about its sentimental value. It was not a bad little scope at the time in the 60s. It came with a very rickety wooden tripod, but has fine alt/az controls. I spent many hours on it, and was a nerdy child.

I have kept an interest in astronomy over the years, but have never organised myself to get equipment, knowledge and skill to get serious. That is about to change!

I bought a Sky-Watcher 100ED refractor today, second hand (Thanks Andrew). I don't have a mount yet but I want to get the One Great Mount that I then hang everything off for years. I think probably an AZ EQ6.

Eventually, if it all goes to plan (as everything always does!), I will start doing astrophotography. I think that a good set up will be to have a large newtonian as well as the 100ED, dual mounted using a heavy duty mount, but as a beginner I have Rumsfeld's "Unknown Unknowns" to contend with, so who knows.
Looking forward to lots of interesting discussion on the site.

John
Old 19-12-2012, 08:59 PM

Hi John and welcome , It would be a good idea to start your own thread , that way we all know its you and not CJ , just hit the " start a new thread icon , top left and away you go "
I still have my 60mm from 30 years ago as well .
Lets finish this conversation on your own thread .
I look forward to it . .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woffy View Post
Hi all,
I have joined over the weekend as well, and have been obsessively searching out equipment. I also live on the Sunshine Coast (Buddina) so I imagine that I will see you at Mapleton sometime Chris! Stellarium looks good, thanks for the tip.

I am 51 and still have the 60mm refractor that I was given when I was 9. It is my oldest possession. I still use it, but not often as I am now more worried about its sentimental value. It was not a bad little scope at the time in the 60s. It came with a very rickety wooden tripod, but has fine alt/az controls. I spent many hours on it, and was a nerdy child.

I have kept an interest in astronomy over the years, but have never organised myself to get equipment, knowledge and skill to get serious. That is about to change!

I bought a Sky-Watcher 100ED refractor today, second hand (Thanks Andrew). I don't have a mount yet but I want to get the One Great Mount that I then hang everything off for years. I think probably an AZ EQ6.

Eventually, if it all goes to plan (as everything always does!), I will start doing astrophotography. I think that a good set up will be to have a large newtonian as well as the 100ED, dual mounted using a heavy duty mount, but as a beginner I have Rumsfeld's "Unknown Unknowns" to contend with, so who knows.
Looking forward to lots of interesting discussion on the site.

John
Old 19-12-2012, 10:10 PM
CJ (Chris)

Hi John. Welcome. Another Sunshine Coaster! I think there's quite a few of us now.
As Brian suggests, I reckon you should start a new thread to get yourself noticed, rather than being tucked away in this one.
Old 19-12-2012, 10:13 PM
CJ (Chris)

Brian, you just beat me to it! I was going to suggest a new thread to John. Thanks for the welcoming words. I imagine you get some fantastic dark skies up there.
I'm enjoying Dobby very much. There must be a lot of "Dobbies" around, especially since the Harry Potter films. It's so easy to grab a few minutes viewing. The eq mounted refractor was always a bit offputting. My wife and boys are always quite keen on having a look too. It's awe inspiring stuff up there.
Old 19-12-2012, 10:40 PM

thats IIS for you !amateure astronomy in Australia .
Merry Christmas .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Brian, you just beat me to it! I was going to suggest a new thread to John. Thanks for the welcoming words. I imagine you get some fantastic dark skies up there.
I'm enjoying Dobby very much. There must be a lot of "Dobbies" around, especially since the Harry Potter films. It's so easy to grab a few minutes viewing. The eq mounted refractor was always a bit offputting. My wife and boys are always quite keen on having a look too. It's awe inspiring stuff up there.