Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Opticks (Peter)

Introduction

Hi All,

To celebrate surviving the great apocalypse we just experienced I thought I would join this fine forum which I have been lurking and finally say Hi. I'm Peter, 28 and have been observing with my 8 Inch Bintel dob here in Sydney for about a year and a half now. I have had so many hours out of it, it was probably the best investment I ever made.

After all this viewing I decided it was time for a few upgrades and to be part of such an informative forum (while researching which scope to get and how to start using it I think I got all the info from various threads on here so thanks!). I recently blew a bit of extra xmas money I had around on three new eyepieces - 13mm Ethos, 8mm Ethos and 6mm Delos which I think should be great for DSOs and some planetary viewing. Of course since then it has been cloudy every single day, and to make it worse I have been on holidays. Oh well, I did get a look through the 13mm at Orions Nebula when the clouds cleared briefly one night, and wow, it was amazing to say the least.

Anyway, I wanted to say hi, and hopefully can eventually contribute something useful for a fellow noob browsing the forum for info. Look forward to chatting with you all.

Opticks
Old 22-12-2012, 02:59 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Peter.
Nice set of eyepieces there...nothing like starting at the top eh? Blowing money is normal as you already know! Every year I spend 5X as much on one daughters ballet classes as I do on astro, so I tell myself it's not that expensive hobby after all
Look forward to your contributions,
Matt
Old 22-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Kunama

Welcome Peter, nice Christmas presents you got !!!
Old 22-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Peter,
and Welcome to IIS
Sounds like you have a good setup there, especially those eyepieces you bought yourself! Good Job!

If you are ever looking for good dark skies not far from Sydney, checkout the star parties Forum, and maybe we will see you up at Mangrove Mountain (aka Pony Club) some time soon. We have a good selection of scopes and eyepieces you can checkout. And the night is friendly and informal.

Clear Skies !
Old 22-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Welcome Peter! Jealous of those eyepieces!
Old 22-12-2012, 06:37 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Nice EPs!!

I have the 13 Ethos and the 6 Delos. The 13 is a cracker.
Do you get out to dark sites much?

Malcolm
Old 22-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Opticks (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Hi Peter.
Nice set of eyepieces there...nothing like starting at the top eh? Blowing money is normal as you already know! Every year I spend 5X as much on one daughters ballet classes as I do on astro, so I tell myself it's not that expensive hobby after all
Look forward to your contributions,
Matt
Hi All,

Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone.

Matt, this is exactly how I've always justified these sorts of things - comparing it to the money spent on other things. I can't claim I always apply completely valid logic but I certainly do it haha! Certainly if you are spending that much looking after your kids then you definitely deserve some treats for the scope. Myself, I don't have many vices (apart from nice scotch), and outside of work and study this is really my only hobby, so if anyone asks that is how I justify it. I figure after a year and a half worth of viewing for a $500 scope with the default eyepieces, this upgrade should give me many hours of enjoyment before I want something else (I could be lying to myself with this one).

Allen, thanks for the tips, I have only managed to get it out of the backyard a couple of times but I plan on heading out of sydney on a more regular basis and getting some weekends away camping. I'm kind of clueless as to where would be good, do others take it to campsites like say the in the blue mountains and then just try and find a spot away from everyone? Would definitely enjoy a star party so will check out the forum.

Malcolm, thanks, yes when I read all the glowing reviews for the 13, and calculated that it kind of fits a good general purpose magnification for me - bit under 100, I just had to have it. I'm really wanting to make a dark site trip to be a monthly get away this year, its my new years resolution, so I'd welcome any suggestions for good spots? Either places I can drive to in an hour or so and make the return trip, or somewhere further out that I can throw up a quick tent for the night / weekend would be great.

Thanks again for the welcome, when my new equipment curse is finally over (sorry for all the bad skies in sydney) I will let you all know how the eyepieces go.

Pete
Old 23-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opticks View Post
Hi ...Allan, thanks for the tips, I have only managed to get it out of the backyard a couple of times but I plan on heading out of sydney on a more regular basis and getting some weekends away camping. I'm kind of clueless as to where would be good, do others take it to campsites like say the in the blue mountains and then just try and find a spot away from everyone? Would definitely enjoy a star party so will check out the forum.
Pete
Hi Pete,
From my own experience, dark sites are better not visited alone, especially if unfamiliar. But yes it is great to get away to a dark site (camping) for a few days. Let me know if you are in need of an observing partner, I am always up for a trip.
There are several regular observing nights, one at Katoomba airstrip I think; our own at Mangrove Mountain (Calga exit off F3 then about 30 minute drive).
These are usually Saturday closest to New Moon.
But we (Central Coast guys) try to get away for an informal camping trip (4 days Thu-Sun) every three months or so. We like Bretti (32k north of Gloucester) because is it very dark, and it is free (max stay 30 days). We are trialing a new spot in March, near Tamworth. You are welcome to any/all. Generally, Free to attend. Check the Star Parties forum. Don't be afraid to start a new thread if you want to bounce an idea.
Make sure you register for the IIS Astro Camp (IISAC) in April at Lostock (see link on left). And then there is the NSWAS South Pacific Star Party (SPSP) in May I think. These are formal, well organised, events that attract hundreds of like minded people, guest spekers, etc.. Cost from about $65 depending on optional extras.

Hope to see you soon.
Allan