Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-12-2012, 05:28 AM
nthqlndr (Terri)

Just joined.

Good morning everybody. I'm a 58yr young granny & a total newb to this stuff and I really need some help! My birthday present this year was, at my request, a Celestron Nexstar 6se. Even reading & following the instructions in the manual several times, I can't even get the finder scope aligned properly, let alone be able to see anything through my lovely new toy. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, (or even what I'm doing, lol!) but it's frustrating. I want to get into AP, but I need to master this beast first, so any help, advice, suggestions are going to be extremely welcome. Also, if there are any members in the Mackay, Qld area who would be willing to show me, in person, how to use my scope I will be eternally grateful.
Old 18-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

I had a look at the specs for your scope and if it is pointed at 3 bright stars, the alignment procedure will orientate the scope for your night sky. The GoTo system will then be able to guide you onto your chosen target. Before that can be done your scope will need some information which it will prompt you for:
  • Your location (Lat & Long)
  • Date (use the correct format - it might be month, day, year)
  • Time (be as accurate as possible)
  • Time Zone (+10 hrs for QLD'ers, no DST for us)
The mount for your scope is an Alt-Az type. You can use your scope to take images of the brighter objects in the night sky but it will not work very well for long exposure images.

Other items that will be useful if don't already have them are:
  • Astronomy Australia 2013
  • a Planisphere / Star Charts
  • a red light torch
  • Stellarium (free planetarium software)
As you posted your message at 4:30am it looks like you are used to the odd hours that Amateur Astronomers keep. I don't think there are any astronomical societies in your area but there are some local IIS members who may be able to assist. Hopefully they chime in to help you out.

Edit: Finder scope alignment.

Whether or not you have a red dot finder or a finder scope it is best done during the day. Make sure you don't accidently point the scope at the Sun.

Centralise the top of a light pole or similar that is a long distance away in your telescopes eyepiece. Now adjust the red dot or optical finder scope so that the top of the same light pole is centralised. This will get you pretty close and the fine tuning can be done on a bright star at night.

If you have a finder scope the optics may not be focused. On my finder tube the threaded objective can be 'unlocked' and turned until focus is achieved. Once this is done the position can be locked again by rotating the collar against the objective housing.

Last edited by Shark Bait; 18-12-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: more info
Old 18-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Liz

Hi Terri and welcome

Yes, new scopes can be tricky to set up .... been there and done that, but it WILL work out.

There are quite a few astro people in Mackay, and a few here on IIS,so am sure you will catch up.

http://tropicalstargazers.webs.com/apps/members/
Old 18-12-2012, 12:28 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Terri,
Welcome to IIS
Liz is onto it with her post. Get in contact with Warren or Josh up there in Mackay. They'll be able to point you in the right direction. (pun not intended, but LOLOL)
Old 18-12-2012, 12:40 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi Terri welcome to IIS, enjoy!

Cheers Petra d.
Old 18-12-2012, 12:41 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Welcome aboard Terri. It's a great time of year to look at Jupiter - a good place to get started if you are new to telescopes.

Perhaps these reviews might assist you with your Nexstar?

http://www.nightskies.net/scopetest/...exstar6se.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/25...n-nexstar-6se/

http://mikemchargue.com/2012/4/11/st...xstar-6se.html
Old 18-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Mick (Michael)

Hi Terri and welcome to the forum
Old 18-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Welcome, Terri. You will find plenty of help here
Old 19-12-2012, 05:07 AM
nthqlndr (Terri)

Thanks

Thank you all for your lovely welcome. And all the tips.
Stu - I never thought of aligning the finder during the day. It is a red-dot finder - I'll give it a go on the weekend. I know the 6se is not the best for AP, but it's a start. Even a shot of our closest solar bodies will be great. I've got several moon photos taken through my big telephoto lens which just made me hungry for more.
Liz - I'd forgotten about the local astronomy group up here. I'll be contacting them.
Jjjnettie- Warren or Josh? Can you PM me with some contact details for them?
I have just downloaded Stellarium again, had it years ago when we bought a Tasco reflector scope. Great for looking at the moon, useless for anything else. I'm thinking of utilising it as a super long lens for my camera - might work for wildlife photos.
I do tend to get up very early, I like the quiet early morning hours. Unfortunately there are a lot of trees around here that obscure good viewing, plus too much ambient light. I also work M-F, but there's always the weekend to drive to a good spot.
Thanks for the links too, folks. I'll be checking them out in a few minutes time.
Once again, thank you to all. You have made me feel very welcome.
Old 19-12-2012, 11:20 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Terri, I've contacted Josh and Warren, letting them know about this thread. One or the other should be jumping in soon.
Old 19-12-2012, 01:40 PM
doppler (Rick)

Hi Terri,
Welcome to the forum. You are at the right place for great help and advice. I am from Mackay (Bucasia) and would be happy to help out. There is a local Mackay group "Tropical Stargazers"..... but I see you have already joined up. Let me know when you have some free time and we can catch up.
Rick
Old 19-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

Hi terri
Id be happy to help where i can...pm me with any questions or i can invite you to a night to help you work it all out...
Old 19-12-2012, 08:43 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Terri , and , as has been already said , a new scope is a daunting thing , but you WILL work it out , on your scope ,,, Awsome !
these are a great scope in all ways and once you learn how to drive it ( like a car ) it will give you years of pleasure .
It take time to learn our universe , its big .
Brian.
Old 20-12-2012, 04:56 AM
nthqlndr (Terri)

Thanks again

Wow, thank you people. You've made me feel so welcome. As it's the "silly season" I will be contacting some of you after the madness is over.

Have a great Christmas everybody & thanks once again.