Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 AM
sejanus (Gavin)

What am I doing wrong with the eq6.

A week or two ago it was sorta working in terms of goto accuracy, but last night it was so far off that I am really thinking that I'm doing something so incredibly wrong, or there are problems with the mount.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm having evil thoughts of getting rid of it and getting a nice cosy fork mount system. I've used a mates C11 with it's sky align feature and it's so easy a kid could use it. While he's using his I'm battling with mine

Got up at 4am.

- mount pointing 11 degrees east of magnetic south
- mount dead level according to spirit level
- C11 balanced perfectly on it
- Laptop next to me to double check alignment stars (though I know them pretty well now!!!)
- Turn eq6 on. Enter 151E 34.18S
- The stars that are most clearly visible are Sirius, Canopus, Rigel, Achernar and Fomalhaut (not sure if thats spelt right)
- Pick a 2 star alignment on Rigel & Achernar. Center both in 12mm illuminated eyepiece. Alignment successful.
- Tell it to go to orion nebula. It is so far off that it's obvious even to the eye without looking through the scope or telrad
- swear a lot.
- park scope. turn mount off.
- Detach C11. Put in garage and look fondly at the big paper weight. Put 80ED on mount and remove 2 counterweights and balance.
- Do a 3 star alignment on Sirius, Achernar, Fomalhaut. Alignment failed.
- Try again. Alignment failed.
- swear
- Check laptop to make sure the stars are the right ones. Yes they are.
- Do a 2 star alignment. Canopus and Fomalhaut. Yep align successful.
- Go to Orion nebula. A bit closer this time but still miles off. Slew there and look at it, and wish I had the celestron back on the mount.
- Tell controller to go to Pleiades. It's miles off.
- Swear
- Park scope & pack up and go to bed.

:he lp:
Old 11-12-2006, 10:48 AM
h0ughy (David)

ok did you set the time and date, you have to do that every time it is turned on?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:50 AM
sejanus (Gavin)

yep you have to set the time and date every time, and yes i did definitely have it set for 11th december, DST, GMT+10
Old 11-12-2006, 11:29 AM
sejanus (Gavin)

i just spoke to tasco and he said to turn DST off and run GMT+11

shrug

will try tonight.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

best of luck. it sucks when stuff doesnt work

Old 11-12-2006, 11:46 AM
sejanus (Gavin)

the thing that is really trying the patience is that the initial v3.01 software was buggy - so now when things go wrong you think "is it the software or is it me"?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:48 AM
matt
6000 post club member

How do you run GMT +11?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 AM
sejanus (Gavin)

key it into the hand controller on startup I guess? I'm not 100% sure as I'm at work at the moment so don't have it near me.

it sounds a bit dubious to me regardless. DST should offset it by 1 hour, so the guy whilst trying to be helpful - is implying he thinks the software time calculations are a bit buggy.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

There is a firmware update available v3.1 which fixes many of the problems with 3.01, but I have heard of a few people having troubles with that also....

Can't win....
Old 11-12-2006, 12:34 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman
There is a firmware update available v3.1 which fixes many of the problems with 3.01, but I have heard of a few people having troubles with that also....

Can't win....
have you updated to that yet?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
allan gould

Your magnetic deviation is 11 degrees east of North. You stated you had it as 11 degrees east of South. This would put you out 22 degrees by my reaconing which is beyond the capabilities of the software as you have to be within a certain number of degrees of the pole for alignment to work sucessfully.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Does this map help
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (magaustr.gif)
14.8 KB57 views
Old 11-12-2006, 01:24 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould
Your magnetic deviation is 11 degrees east of North. You stated you had it as 11 degrees east of South. This would put you out 22 degrees by my reaconing which is beyond the capabilities of the software as you have to be within a certain number of degrees of the pole for alignment to work sucessfully.
I read over that bit , thats very important, I have made that mistake a few times
Old 11-12-2006, 01:42 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejanus
i just spoke to tasco and he said to turn DST off and run GMT+11

shrug

will try tonight.
The reason you have to set it to +11 is because we're in daylight savings.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Hi Gav,
Read your problems here and on Yahoo.
It’s hard to figure out what’s up with your mount and it must be terribly frustrating for you. I have had the Atlas same as EQ6 for some months.
It did not work to well at first but since I got my 3rd !! hand controller its seems ok.
But the first time I used it with 3.01 the mount was great.
I used it 3 times with that firmware and the second and third time not as good in the
go to’s.
So I decided to upload 3.1. Now I have used this only twice so far and apart from the problem of uploading the firmware via a laptop with only USB then using USB to Serial adaptor and this did not work, I had to use another computer with serial port.

I have had a few problems with it. The backlash had to be reset , as every time I used the up down left right buttons it slewed away then came back, very strange. I fixed this by setting the backlash to 00.00.01 in both axis.
But then when I wanted to use alignment stars I gave a list but the list that did not have Rigel in it!! Who knows why? Can’t even find Rigel in the Stars list also.
First time out with 3.1 I used a 3 star alignment and the go to’s where in the field of a 1deg eyepiece. By the way I do use a 12 mm illuminated reticle eyepiece, as you do also.
Second time out it did not put objects in a 1.5 deg field eyepiece.

It seems what you have done is fine and it should work. Why it does not I do not know.
Just one thing and I’m sure you have it right make sure date is, month/ day/ year.
I did this wrong once!!
Set the time to +10 then set daylight saving to yes.

I have had 3 go to mounts one a LX200 gps and one a Meade LXD55 then the EQ6 with skyscan. The LX200 was way better at pointing to objects. If it’s a 10/10 then the EQ6 is about a 6 or 7 at best. The LXD55 had its own problems which I wont go into.

I would like to pick my own stars with the skyscan with out it giving me a list to choose from, when I do my alignments. But its seems it does not. Yes it gives a list of about 10 or so Stars but I wanted more of my own choice.

From now on I will keep a log book on my set ups to try and figure out the best steps to getting the mount right. Yes I do use a level to set the tripod and not rely on the mounts level as I have found this is out. And I use a compass to set the mount and then do a drift alignment to get the polar alignment right.
But I want to work on it so I don’t have to do this as often, especially when I’m only viewing.

So far I have found the weakest link to these mounts is the Handcontroller.
The rest seems fine.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

yeah i have sorry i should have mentioned it - running 3.10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy
have you updated to that yet?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

yeah i know but what i meant was that I have it currently set to GMT+10 with DST enabled, so I'd expect it to correctly offset it by 1 hour.

The guy from tasco seemed to imply that possibly it was ignoring the DST setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Boy
The reason you have to set it to +11 is because we're in daylight savings.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:17 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

hey allan,

wow, if this is right I'll look like quite the idiot I'd be glad though!

Are you sure? I'm not really too clued up to be honest with magnetic deviation, but I always thought I had to set my mount pointing 10-12 degrees east of magnetic south. When I went to Kulnurra to meet the boys I was told that as well.

Do you mean set my mount 11 degrees west of south magnetic?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, directions and mag deviation isn't something I've ever needed to really get into it before.

cheers

Quote:
Old 11-12-2006, 02:24 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

hey dave

thanks for the post mate. my backlash was all wonky in 3.01 but seems to have reset itself and works great in 3.10 - all other problems aside.

not very encouraging hearing your woes on multiple controllers

I'm hoping the problem is my mag deviation is wrong as suggested above, that'll be an easy fix if it's true.

cheers

Gav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc
Hi Gav,
Read your problems here and on Yahoo.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
I set mine at 11deg east of south

See here, http://www.myastroshop.com.au/guides...lign-basic.pdf