Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Lyinxz

Red face Collimation Assurance!

Hi All...

Would love some help with this

I have a 10" SW dob that I think I can collimate fairly easily... but this is what worries me... it seems too easy. So i want to make sure i am doing this right.
Ive read many articles/posts but they seem be too generalistic in giving me trust that i doing it correctly.

So i know you loyal IIS guys coulld give me some reassurance or guidance!

After putting the laser collimator into the focuser and making sure its flush i align the secondary mirror so the laser beam dot is in the little "donut" in the middle of the primary mirror. I check the collimator and make sure the laser beam dot is hitting the hole in the collimator so the laser beam dot seems to dissapear.
( by hole what i mean is where the laser beam comes out from)

I then turn the collimator around to align the primary, i fiddle with the 3 screws on the back untill the laser that is comming out of the collimator is hitting the middle hole in the collimator it self. the laser beam "dot" is then no longer visible on the collimator. I tighten the mirror into position. and assume its done! haha
I hope this right...

I have a second problem tho, I have a 4.5" newt that has no "Donut' on the primary mirror!
So how do I get the laser beam dot into the middle of the secondary?

PS: the collimator is a "York Optical" Newt Collimator.
Old 14-01-2009, 11:54 PM
DENMONKEY (Brett)

Brilliant. I love this beginners section.
Before you need to ask the question someone else does it for you.

I've got an old 4.25 reflector and figured I would give it a shot tonight after doing some reading. No tool to speak of but did one by eye from a link I found on here.
Doesn't matter if I'm not perfect but thought better to try it on this and have some practice in

I too found it fairly simple by all accounts and with a tool should find it even easier and more accurate.

I so hope you're right here because that's how I figured it too after some research.

So I hope someone comes along with a thumbs up.

Else I will be keeping an eye on this thread for the constructive feedback
Old 15-01-2009, 12:26 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

first of all, have you culminated your laser? if not you could be out by dingos legs.

secondly with your mirror with no spot, take the mirror out and geometrically get a center mark with something like a compass, make sure you get a exact sizing of your mirror, then you can use the compass to find the middle quite easy. now this is the scary part that alot of people pack it actually putting something on the mirror. you have 2 choices. the little ring reinforces that you can by or alternatively a permanent marker. (don't fret the secondaray mirror blocks this area from light gathering anyways. once you have culminated the laser, then you should be done and dusted.

Hazzar
Old 15-01-2009, 01:00 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

The question remains as to whether the accurately measured geometric centre of the mirror is indeed the optical centre - lowest point in the paraboloid - if I have my nomenclature right (sorry mirror-makers). But I guess it won't be much out? Or could it be?

But, before that, just do it by eye. You can estimate when you have the secondary tilted so the spot is close to centre of the primary. Sure, it's not as accurate as if it were spotted, but it's better than nothing, right, especially if the collimation is a long way out. Worth a try to see how the image improves, before you go pulling the primary mirror out and risk dropping it etc.?

Ash, re your description of collimation:-

"After putting the laser collimator into the focuser and making sure its flush i align the secondary mirror so the laser beam dot is in the little "donut" in the middle of the primary mirror. I check the collimator and make sure the laser beam dot is hitting the hole in the collimator so the laser beam dot seems to disappear.
( by hole what i mean is where the laser beam comes out from) "

I am a little confused. If you achieve this (laser spot is hitting centre of primary and reflecting back down the hole in the collimator), I would stop there! That's it!

Normally when you have the secondary tilted correctly so that the laser is hitting the centre of the Primary, the Primary tilt is likely to be a little out so the return spot is not going down the hole. Then, as you describe, you adjust the Primary tilt knobs until the return beam goes down the hole.

The additional suggestions are:-

1) As Brendan says - check if the laser collimator itself is well collimated. If it is a snug fit in the focusser, try to rotate it without rocking it and see what the spot does on the primary. If it turns a large circle - say more than a few mms, probably the size of the spot - then the laser collimator needs a bit of adjustment - come back to us. Alternatively make up some form of V-block or tool, or put it in a lathe and watch the spot on a wall about 5m away as it is rotated.

2) Barlow that laser! Read:- www.smartavtweaks.com/RVBL.html and also search for other articles on "barlowed laser".

Keep searching the threads here - there are pages of arguments on collimation for your enjoyment!

One further comment - those "lock" screws on the primary. Experiment a little. Once you have the laser disappearing back down the hole, move the scope in altitude from horizon to zenith and see what happens. If the return spot moves a lot on the angled face plate (say right out of the hole) then your mirror cell is moving. Usual culprit is weak support springs. Two solutions - replace them with stronger springs, or pull the primary down with all three screws to put the springs under more compression. Here is where doing up the lock crews may help retain collimation. However, most people have noted that nipping them up on these Chinese scopes usually pushes the collimation back out again!

I only do mine up for transport. Once set up, I wind them back and they stay that way until packup time.
Old 15-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Lyinxz

Thanks Brendon, Eric.

Glad to know i am doing it correctly.

Eric i see what you mean , basically all we are aiming for is if I input a direct straight beam of light into the telescope via the focuser it should come out of exactly the same point it came from. This shows the mirrors are aligned.
So there is no need to adjust the primary mirror if i can align the secondary mirror to make the laser hit back to itself.

Also thanks for the heads up about the locking screws because i have noticed i loose collimation quite easily with my 10" dob since its continusally in transit when i go observing.
I will check to see what happens to the collimation when i shift the tube up/down.

Brendan.. I was hoping laser collimation would not pop up hahaha!
Suppose it makes sense though...to collimate properly, you need a collimated collmation tool!

More reading for me I supose.
Thanks for the advise on how to check the collimation on the laser Eric, I will definantly give this a go.

And I supose before i go pulling the secondary cell out of the 4.5" il just make a educated guess on the center of the mirror and trail error shall prevail!

Hope you got some of your answers answered as well DenMonkey

Much thanks,
Ash

PS: Thanks god for clear skies , Finally!!!!
Old 15-01-2009, 10:20 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyinxz View Post

So there is no need to adjust the primary mirror if i can align the secondary mirror to make the laser hit back to itself.
As long as the spot is bouncing off the centre of the primary mirror.

It would be unusual to not have to tweak both mirrors, especially in a scope that wasn't a solid tube.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:32 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

hehehe I use a combination of different methods, a kind of "fail safe" approch, though i was done hard by the "lock screws", i was under the impression they "LOCK" not Culminate!

i went around the circle nipping up slowly only to find it pushed my culmination out by donkeys years.

so i culminated it to a rough state, nipped everything up then culminated against the lock screws. My culmination rarely moves and i travel alot with the scope. sometimes i have to give the rear screws a 1/5th of a turn to line it back up and i rather use a combination of two screws to "loosen" the locking screws rather than tighten one to bring it back.

This method can be used also for cruddy springs as the locking screws are pushing and the culminating screws are pulling the springs play little effect at the end.

I found out this also due to i was culminating a lady's scope for her on a DSO night in Chittering and i had all sorts of problems and yes the springs where the culprit because they would go one way then go back, and i hadn't changed the direction i was screwing the screws in :S once i figured this out it took me all of a few minutes to get culmination sorted.
Old 15-01-2009, 09:35 PM
DENMONKEY (Brett)

Luv ya work Ash
Old 17-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Hi all this how i achieve collimation with my truss dobs.

1: With the laser in the focuser I adjust the secondary mirror to send the laser straight back to the centre of the laser ( I dont care if its not centred on the annulus (ring) of the primary as it dont need to be at this stage) as the laser is used for collimating the secondary mirror only.

2: Take your laser out and replace it with the cheshire then adjust the primary mirror with the three thumb screws until you can see the annulus in the centre.

3: You would think its collimated now but the truth is its still way out especially if your thinking of splitting Antares.

4: Put the laser in again and you will see you have to adjust your secondary mirror again,So centre the beam up again on the return path,Then take it out.

5:Back to the cheshire and adjust your primary mirror again to get the annulus in the centre again.

6:By now your getting closer as you will see, But i,ll end now by saying keep repeating those steps maybe up to 5 times until you cant make any more adjustments and then around about 15 minutes later and your collimation will be precision accurate.

The primary locking screws in my world only are used to transport the scope NOT to lock in collimation so after collimation dont tighten them up.

I cant remember if ive posted this info before But its got to help.

Laser <-----Secondary collimation.
Cheshire <-----Primary collimation.
The pair together work like a hand in a glove.

Cheers Kev.