Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-01-2006, 10:59 AM
BowzerS14

Confused about many things

Hi all, new to these forums obviously
My question is i want a first scope that i can get clear and crisp images of the planets and even deep space objects (The best of both worlds!!! ). I have read many of the posts on here about big apperture reflectors on dobsonian mounts. But then i have read for better view quality that reflectors are the way to go even though they have much smaller apperture. Not looking at spending a fortune but i already made the mistake of buying a Teds Busmens 114mm scope and it was terible. So i took it back. Looking at something substantially better than this.
It seems that the Guan Sheng scopes from andrews are reasonably priced. The 8" dob for that matter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Great page BTW.
Old 27-01-2006, 11:40 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Glad you returned the junk scope!

8" Dob is a great scope! It will do your planets, deep space (Jupiter for breakfast ). One of the best for the $. I would recommend you spend the bit extra and buy from Bintel. What you get for the money is quality control, a scope that is ready-to-go (centre spotted & collimated), better starter eyepiece set, and last but not least, support. There is a Bintel shop in Melbourne now and they have the Dobs on display. The shop is run by experienced amateur astronomers. They really know their stuff and look after their customers.
Old 27-01-2006, 11:42 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

8" mate is good, i own a 10" reflector (dob). i have not had a decent look through a refractor. Objects that are smaller look better in terms of quality etc, cos they are smaller, you can't see the detail or imerfections etc.

There is no doubting refractors are great, but I find the 8,10 or 12" dobs the best value for money. You get to see so many things (depending on conditions of course).

I will be buying a refractor down the track cos there are specific things i want to odo ie wide field photography, but for most things, i would use my 10" db.

Take yourself in Bintel near toorak rd / monash freeway. The guys are great there. They have the lot in terms of telescopes. Best to take your time and ask lotsa questions.

Andrews are very good value, but so are the bintel when you throw in their backup and customer service. They are very good!
Old 27-01-2006, 12:06 PM
astro_geek

I started my astronomical life with an 8" and I think it was a great choice. You can see so many objects with an 8" that you could never see them all in your lifetime. It is also very portable and can fit in the boots of most cars. The only downside of reflectors is that you have to collimate them. This is where you align the mirrors so that they are pointing at each other (A quick search of the forum will find many threads on this topic). However once you have learnt how to do this it takes less than 5 minutes and become a non-issue. I'm sure that Roger at BINTEL in melbourne would be more than happy to show you ho to do this if you by the 8" from him. Welcome to astronomy, an 8" is a great choice
Old 27-01-2006, 01:16 PM
BerzerkerNerd

Hi, I have a 10" bintel and it is more than i need . Rather than aspire to the challenge of saving for a bigger scope to see more, I find pushing this scope as far as it can go and searching for great viewing conditions a more rewarding challenge, depends on what you want to use it for i guess. Any good telescope can teach you the science of astronomy and is a friend for life.
Have fun, Steve M.
Old 27-01-2006, 02:34 PM
BowzerS14

Thanks for the info peoples. So a reflector is the way to go. Ill go check Bintel out on the weekend and see what they have (only 10mins from home).

Cheers
Old 27-01-2006, 02:39 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

you are well on the road to discovery mate
I have the 8" which i bought from anderws (same scope as the one at bintel) and its great
you will have a ball with it
Old 27-01-2006, 08:15 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Bowzers14. & Your choice of an 8" or 10" dob is fine. You have many nights of discovery before you. Enjoy your chosen hobby. L.
ps. A 'Chandler' (large version), planishere & red LED torch will come in handy as well.
Old 30-01-2006, 12:34 PM
BowzerS14

Thanks for the help.

Ive narrowed it down to three 8" scopes.

SkyWatcher SW680 (200mm) Dobsonian from MyAstroShop at $440

Guan Sheng GS-680-LTD $399.00 AUD from Andrews
The above dont include delivery to melbourne.

or the Bintel BT-202 8" Dobsonian Telescope $549.00 from Bintel
I think you get more accesories with the Bintel scope to.

Prices are similar, Bintel the most expensive but as you said thay colimate it for you and so on. There is sure to be a difference in quality between these scopes. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If there is a better option altogether please le me know.

Cheers
Old 30-01-2006, 12:49 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

The main thing you get with the Bintel scope is great local support plus: better quality control, centre-spotted primary, a collimated scope and a more versatile eyepiece set. You could probably even negotiate an inexpensive upgrade to a Crayford focuser, which would be well worth it. It's good deal even if you buy it separately for $99 but I suspect you could do better buying it as an upgrade for the new scope and you can have it fitted too (considering Bintel is talking about ditching the "standard" line altogether and selling "deluxe" only).

To me there is no question about it, if you have the few extra dollars: buy from the local dealer Bintel. BTW, although the scope is collimated, you will still need to learn how to do this and redo from time to time (it does not stay "locked in" for ever). The guys at the shop can show you how. And if you are still having difficulties, they will show you again... and again... You don't realise how valuable the service and customer support side of the equation is till you have been into this hobby for a little while.
Old 30-01-2006, 12:56 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

ok lets allow $40 for delivery from sydney, that makes the difference just over $100 from the bintel. did myastroshop quote a price inc freight???

if it were me, I would be happy to be able to walk into bintel, talk with the guys and take it home, but not quite for $100 more.

Have you rung bintel or are you just checking the websites prices?

If you had said $499 for the bintel then i would say bintel straight away.

Ring em up, mention what you are looking at ie andrews / myastroshop / bintel. It doesn't hurt. Write down the freebies

For mine, i would be ordering the Guan Sheng GS-680-Deluxe-Crayford @ $549 plus freight or similiar. The crayford focusser is one of the best upgrades you can do.

So my ideal setup, would be a bintel with a crayford at around $600. Having the guys local is a big plus!!

I have just noticed janoskiss replying, he has the 8", so you should be in good hands.
Old 30-01-2006, 12:59 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

yeah dont be afraid to haggle just a bit...

so and so has this price, will you match it.... etc
it cant hurt, worst case scenario is they say no
Old 30-01-2006, 01:50 PM
BowzerS14

Nah the prices are just straight off the web so im sure i could negotiate a bit. Ill have to give Bintel a call and see if they are slightly flexible on $.

Once again thanks for your help.

Cheers
Old 30-01-2006, 01:59 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Go for the local supplier if you can afford it. The 8" is a great scope but get the Crayford focuser, its the best upgrade I have done so far.

Make sure you get a Cheshire eyepiece so you can collimate the scope accurately. I do this at the beginning of each session and it only takes seconds and ensures the best views under the conditions.

Welcome aboard
Old 30-01-2006, 02:08 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Yes, go for $600 with the Crayford upgrade (plus coffee & bicckies ).
Old 30-01-2006, 02:13 PM
barees63

IMHO having the primary center-spotted for you and the collimation done correctly (and having someone to demonstrate it) has to be worth the extra money.. although the collimation will need adjusting from time to time it will be much easier knowing they have already got the secondary stuff right and you should mostly just have to do minor adjustments to Primary tilt which is real easy.

You absolutely need a primary center spot so if you buy a scope without one you will have to take the primary mirror out (and probably out of it's cell) and work out how to place a perfectly centered spot yourself, I found this to be not much fun.

Bruce
Old 30-01-2006, 03:06 PM
BowzerS14

Another newbie question. What is a Craford style focuser. I understand it replaces the original focuser on ur scope but what is the difference between "standard" and "crayford style". Y is it so much better?

Cheers people
Old 30-01-2006, 03:11 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

ill let janoskiss answer this one, but in layman's my crayford focuuser on my 10" is much smoother and subtle to tightly focus than the normal rack & pinion focusser that i have used on the 8" versions of my scope.

It feels silky smooth. It is adjustable, so that when i have a heavier eyepiece or an iimaging setup in, then I can tighten it up as needed.
Old 30-01-2006, 03:13 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

No image shift (image you see shifts up or down as you change direction of focuser travel while trying to fine tune focus) and you get finer smoother control. Very useful at high magnifications.

As for accessories, we won't really need to tell you what else you might need/want (collimator, extra eyepiece, barlow etc etc) if you go to Bintel, because the guys running the shop can do that. They are straight shooters and very knowledgeable.
Old 30-01-2006, 03:44 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

mind you, my Rn'P works nice and smooth
i ripped her apart, got rid of the grease (reads glue), re lubed and away i go ... went... i dont know...
what i am sayin, or trying to say is that if you cant get the crayford the Rn'P is quite serviceable once you do stuff to it. although others have had problems....