Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-01-2009, 10:14 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

nebula and the city

I am very new to astronomy and have bought a 10" dob because I thought that it would be a good starting point. (I put an Argo on it but have not mastered it yet)
My problem is that I live almost in the middle of Sydney and as a result light pollution of course is a great problem. I also have a rather small aiming field from my rather small backyard surrounded by high rise and trees.
My main interest is Nebula and so far all I have been able to find is Orion(that's easy cause I can se it without the scope). I have been trying to find M1 and the Flame Nebula without success.
Would this be because of the light pollution.
I am sure that I am looking in the right spot.
I am using a 26mm 2" ep and then going to a 10mm 1.25". Should I get a 32mm ep or larger?
I know that these are a lot of questions but I look forward to any help that I can get.

Thanks
Old 29-01-2009, 10:20 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

The flame neb and M1 will be difficult from the city. NGC 2070 and NGC 3372 are easier. Low power is fine. A UHC nebula filter will help and get out of town if you can. Palm Beach Golf Course might be good.
Old 29-01-2009, 10:55 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

I'm in the same boat as I'm in the Inner West and so far have only been able to observe Orion/M42, UHC filter is great. I've had to satisfy myself with observing clusters around the Crux / Centaurus. I was trying to search in vain last night for the Rosette Nebula but the part of the sky between Betelgeuse & Canis Minor was just a wash-out It also didn't help when my neighbour came home and hit the floodlights for his backyard, very difficult for dark adaption at the best of times. If the weather is good this weekend, will hopefully venture out to Crago for a peek.
Old 29-01-2009, 11:05 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Thanks,
I am thinking of going out to Crago this weekend as well.
Old 29-01-2009, 11:24 AM
andrew2008

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/gallery

Just went to S & T website for a look and saw this. Also looking for Rosette last night for about 5 mins while Carina/Centauras region was briefly clouded over. Unfortunately need a Ha filter by looks of it.

Also had a look for IC2944. Couldn't see it so did some research and found its an emission neb. Should i see this with my Orion narrowband filter or is it another one very hard to see?
Old 29-01-2009, 03:55 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

The narrow band filter should help with IC2944 but try and get away from the lights.
Old 30-01-2009, 11:47 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Just as follow up, went out into the back alley for the first time (as opposed to the front yard) tonight and looked into the limited south. Unfortunately there is a street light right at my back door. I must get a screen of some sort for my dob.
I found Eta Carina in the scope (I am sure it was Eta Carina due to the split down the middle) and found numerous open clusters (yeah). It was fantastic and very different from lookin north. Using binoculars as a guide helps enormously.
It is amazing how what I think will be nebulous turn out to be clusters.
I am going to Crago Observatory in NSW tomorrow to sort out the Argo hopefully with a little help.
Thanks all.
Old 31-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Sounds like your doing a good job considering. I found M1 for the 1st time and was over the moon. Let me know how you go, if you mange to see it from your location. I too live in a light polluted area, however it was at a dark site that I located M1 and I was using a 12" Dob as well. Even then the two onlookers who got a peek, did not really aprecieate the white smudge. Because I am use to observing in light polluted areas, I was very pleased to see that the white smudge, had indeed... some form that resembled the many pics I had seen. Had it not been for the impatients of the onlookers, I could have spent a lot more time looking into the object looking for much more. I kept babbling on about how It was the remanant of an exploding star & it was this ".....big...." & so on & so forth. Next time I will be taking along a newly purchased filter & going alone!

Honestly...I can't say if you will get much of a look from a light polluted area with M1...but if you can get to a dark site...It's worth it...Like I jamed my 12" GSO into my New Hyundi Elantra SEDAN! (2008) and although it took some doing...It was worth the effort...Now if only the skys would clear up here with one of my off days...
Later...
Dave
Old 31-01-2009, 04:35 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Frank and Dave welcome to nebula observing. Nebula are my favourite objects.
All the NGC nebulae are here: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/dunlop1826/NGCNebulae#
Old 31-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Thanks Glen,
STUNNING Pics! I added that link to My Docs under an ever growing list of usefull resources...Thanks.

Frank...I also have a link that may be usefull too:
---OBSERVING BRIGHT NEBULAE---
http://www.tucsonastronomy.org/obser...ht_Nebulae.pdf
I am currently on a quest to make the right choice in choosing two filters for Observing. I already have two polorization filters that screw on top of eachother, however that is for really bright objects like planets, the moon and mabey some stars.

Thanks again Glen...awsome pics!!!
Old 31-01-2009, 02:19 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Made it out to Crago last night and the seeing was pretty good, Orion pretty much jumped right out :-) and Eta Carina, need I say any more...what a sight. Also got some really good viewing of Saturn. Thanks a lot Ian & Mitch for the tips, advice, etc. Hopefully will try and make it out there more regularly.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

I made it to Crago Observatorylast night (Saturday) for the first time and had a great time.
Thanks to all the help from everyone with getting the Argo Navis sorted and boy is it great. No matter what scope I get in the future it will be going with me.
Big thanks to Paul for showing me the ins and outs of collimation.
Seeing was not perfect last night as there was some high cloud but it cleared about 1am. Whatever you do don't forget the Aeroguard!
I was amazed that in my own little 10" dob I saw the Tarantula nebula (awesome) m42 of course and Eta Carina. Clusters 47 Tuc and Omega Centauri looked spectacular. Finding galaxies was fantastic including m65 and 66 in the one field, m83 looked brilliant and finally m104, the Sombrero. I had no idea what to expect when looking at a galaxy for the first time.
Finally, just being able to see the Magellanic clouds was a buzz. It is extraordinary how little you see in the city.
All in all it was a very satisfying and informative night and I look forward to many more in the future.
Frank
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Aeroguard yep, I think I was the heat sink which attracted all the mozzies the night before, even the Tropical Strength didn't seem to keep them away...may have to try DDT next time
Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

skintastic is the best !3!@#! going around im from darwin, and those buggers are fierce! but the skintastic does a great job!