Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2021, 10:50 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
I'd be happy to observe under 21.79 - the direction of the Canberra light dome! So fantastic to see the meter reading in the 22s! I've never seen that. Again, congratulations Mike - quantitative evidence you made the right choice of site
Hi Eric, yes it was indeed exciting to see those sort of numbers, all night!

I too was initially happy enough with the 21.81 readings !...then the 21.96 seemed very wow ...so you can imagine when I got the three sets hour after hour of just over 22!! but then, the 22.18 set was just mind blowing! I sported a big grin...not to mention the not insignificant number of readings over 20.20 too! Made me very happy...the sky really was magnificent that night too, I knew it wasn't some sort of mistake

Mike
Old 12-09-2021, 02:27 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Well...yet another spectacularly clear night up here. I did some more extensive measuring of the sky darkness with the SQM-L meter and although the sky on Mon night was perhaps juuust a touch better (a rain and snow front had passed through the couple of days before ), the results were never the less, pretty amazing and consistent with those taken on Mon and Tues nights. This time I took multiple (several dozen) readings all around the zenith (within an approx 15deg or one handspan radius) between 1am and 2am. This is the time of year at this hour when the Sagittarius winter Milky Way sits on the western horizon and the Orion Summer milky Way sits on the Eastern horizon and the whole length of the Milky Way in between, stretches right around the southern horizon, plus the very faint Zodiacal bridge was plainly visible north of overhead following the ecliptic, looking like a second, faint Milky Way! All making for a truly spectacular vista allround! Of the dozens of SQM readings taken the bulk were between 22.13 and 22.18 which is pretty amazing and about as dark as it gets anywhere. That's three nights of testing now, all returning similar results, so I think that well and truly confirms Eagleview as a World Class dark sky observing site! Happy Chappy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210912_013427.jpg)
105.0 KB4 views
Click for full-size image (20210912_012510.jpg)
136.9 KB2 views
Click for full-size image (20210912_012102.jpg)
155.8 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (20210912_003857.jpg)
95.5 KB7 views
Click for full-size image (20210912_004048.jpg)
113.2 KB1 views
Click for full-size image (20210912_013311.jpg)
127.6 KB2 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 14-09-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:46 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Wow! Congratulations and I am glad that you are enjoying your new dark spot. I am confident that you will use it for good and that it will be truly utilized to its full potential.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
Wow! Congratulations and I am glad that you are enjoying your new dark spot. I am confident that you will use it for good and that it will be truly utilized to its full potential.
Hey cheers heaps Scott

Funnily enough, we almost didn't get this property. There were 6 buyers who offered the asking price or above..what the heck?? after 4 years of searching and the ultimate dream astronomy property is in my grasp and I can't even get it with a full price offer??!! Faaaaark! Maama Mia! After discussing with the vendors for a day or two, what they wanted to do, the agent subsequently called for best and final offers from all interested parties. So, after much deliberation and with my wife's blessing (well kind of) we did something we had never done before..and offered over the asking price , but for F's sake, we STILL got the news a couple of days later from the agent, that unfortunately we had missed out, they had received a higher offer!...I (we) were utterly devastated I recall replying to the agent, who we had run into previously a few times in our long rural land hunting quest and who knew I was an astronomer, "really?? someone aroffered even more??..damn that reeeally sucks! those pristine clear mountains skies will go to waste now, what a tragedy", to which he replied, "I know, so sorry Mike I hope to see you around the traps again and I will eventually sell you that dream astronomy property"....utterly dejected I thought to myself "Yeah riiight... I'm going to go lock myself in a cupboard now for a few days and rock back an forth dribbling"...

Well, over a week later, having finally let the dream fade from my mind and having emerged from the dark cupboard....I got the phone call that waaaay back in a dark distant corner of my mind, I had hoped for, prayed for, while in that cupboard...the top bidder had pulled out!! ...the agent asked me "we were second top bidders, so did I still want to build that observatory in the mountains?" ...I don't believe in luck but sheesh I felt pretty lucky that day

So, no, I won't let this once in a lifetime opportunity and the one that nearly got away, go to waste, Eagleview will become famous...I know it!

Mike
PS we know it wasn't an agents scam too, because our new neighbours have subsequently told us they actually met the intended original buyer of our property, a couple of times, and were familiar with why he pulled out in the end....aaand besides, they were now happier it was us that got it in the end,...who doesn't like an astronomer in the neighbourhood anyway?

Last edited by strongmanmike; 12-09-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 13-09-2021, 10:11 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Mike I am still reading so thanks but in hospital again.. kidney failure just too show death cant get me..however I have a question which I am embarrassed to ask but I expect others will benefit from an answer...how do you do your "darkness" shots, cause when I get the chance I will try it at home and see what I have.
All the best alex
Old 13-09-2021, 10:46 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Mike I am still reading so thanks but in hospital again.. kidney failure just too show death cant get me..however I have a question which I am embarrassed to ask but I expect others will benefit from an answer...how do you do your "darkness" shots, cause when I get the chance I will try it at home and see what I have.
All the best alex
HI Alex, firstly sorry to here you are laid up again and I wish you well on your way to recovery

What do you mean by my "darkness" shots, do you mean how do I use the SQM-L meter..?

Mike
Old 13-09-2021, 11:32 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
HI Alex, firstly sorry to here you are laid up again and I wish you well on your way to recovery

What do you mean by my "darkness" shots, do you mean how do I use the SQM-L meter..?

Mike
Post 202
Old 13-09-2021, 01:29 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Post 202
Ah ok but what exactly do you want to know, that I didn't explain already there..?

Mike
Old 13-09-2021, 09:58 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Just locked in the builder to (hopefully) end up with the attached sketch

The site shed in the sketch is the one I already have and the whole pad and path will be covered in 50mm of road base.

The attached photo shows my 12"Dob at approx the same spot as in the drawing but it will be slightly more elevated after the fill is spread there...so the view from the observatory deck, another metre higher, will be rather breath taking and there will be enough room on the corners of the dome deck for a couple of chairs too...sipping a cold beer while sitting there in summer should be magic

This should all start in early-mid Oct

First visit by the builder will be to do the site cut, dig the telescope pier footing hole and spread the road base.

I will then construct the concrete telescope support pier over a few weeks.

The second visit by the builder, likely in late November, will be to drill the 12 X support post holes and set the four 90X90 gal steel corner posts in concrete.

Lastly the builder will return a few days later and construct the 4.6m X 4.6m deck and stairs.

I have attached a sketch of the envisaged observing area and a photo of my 12" Dob at the spot as indicated in the drawing as well as the location on the land - red circle.

The dream is taking shape....

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ready for the first light observing.jpg)
159.0 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (Observatory site.jpg)
201.6 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (Eagleview Observatory sketch 130921 resize.jpg)
63.0 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (Observing area and deck location resize.jpg)
194.9 KB34 views

Last edited by strongmanmike; 14-09-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 14-09-2021, 08:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

On top of things now.
I am so happy things are getting done... remember ..work expands to fill the space allocated to it...it os good to have artist impressions to firm up the vision.
In time add a safety rail to the deck or stop drinking
Alex
Old 14-09-2021, 09:46 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
On top of things now.
That's good to hear

Quote:
In time add a safety rail to the deck or stop drinking
Alex
Indeed, I will add one myself if I feel the need. Above 1000mm a handrail is mandatory in the building code...so I will probably make it 950mm

Mike
PS...oh and I know about the drinking and falling off your observatory thing ...I've done it ...only once luckily (was the final Scotch that did it due to euphoria over excellent seeing one night ) and my current observing deck is only 600mm off the ground too , I managed to roll and break my fall so didn't hurt myself..but at 950mm the risk of injury will be higher
Old 14-09-2021, 10:29 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Mike,
Glad I’m not the only one who built an elevated deck for their Dome
A lot of folk suggested a big concrete slab ( glad I didn’t )
I’ve had mine for 6 months now , through torrential rain , 90km / hr winds a month ago and she’s as dry as bone inside , plus in summer it’s ventilated from below through 5mm gap in the hardwood boards ( no artificial flooring ) so nice and cool
I spray for pest control so insects are not a problem , it’s just those pesky possums, one inquisitive possum jumped on my bay unit a few weeks ago , scared the crap out of me
Sketch looks great , what Dome will you use ?
Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1EAAF972-2F69-4279-90D7-20E2D7DF9B9C.jpeg)
134.4 KB24 views
Old 14-09-2021, 11:44 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Mike,
Glad I’m not the only one who built an elevated deck for their Dome
A lot of folk suggested a big concrete slab ( glad I didn’t )
I’ve had mine for 6 months now , through torrential rain , 90km / hr winds a month ago and she’s as dry as bone inside , plus in summer it’s ventilated from below through 5mm gap in the hardwood boards ( no artificial flooring ) so nice and cool
I spray for pest control so insects are not a problem , it’s just those pesky possums, one inquisitive possum jumped on my bay unit a few weeks ago , scared the crap out of me
Sketch looks great , what Dome will you use ?
Cheers
Martin
Yeah cheers Martin, having done both approaches, a dome on an elevated deck is the only way to go IMO I will be laying 90% UV shade cloth under the decking boards, then silicone the small gaps between the cloth and boards under the base ring. Bugs can still crawl over the base ring and under the rotary ring, so not 100% sealed to bugs but close but as you say the inside space of the dome is then well ventilated and water can't pool on the deck outside the dome either

It would seem my sketching abilities are not perfect, I thought my rendition of a 3M Scopedome was pretty good ...or maybe you are not familiar with these? Steve and his dad, in the video, are both over 6ft tall

Mike
Old 14-09-2021, 01:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Yeah cheers Martin, having done both approaches, a dome on an elevated deck is the only way to go IMO I will be laying 90% UV shade cloth under the decking boards, then silicone the small gaps between the cloth and boards under the base ring. Bugs can still crawl over the base ring and under the rotary ring, so not 100% sealed to bugs but close but as you say the inside space of the dome is then well ventilated and water can't pool on the deck outside the dome either

It would seem my sketching abilities are not perfect, I thought my rendition of a 3M Scopedome was pretty good ...or maybe you are not familiar with these? Steve and his dad, in the video, are both over 6ft tall

Mike
I’ve heard of the ScopeDome but never looked into them as my backyards restricted space suited the NexDome perfectly and a kit form assembly suited installation as well
ScopeDome looks like a habitation test module NASA are using for Mars
Very well designed and engineered , loads of room , much bigger than my 2.2m NexDome
I bet your champing at the bit to get one up there hey !!
Martin
Old 14-09-2021, 01:27 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I bet your champing at the bit to get one up there hey !!
Martin
Well yes ..aaand no ...you see, I am a bit of an IT technophobe, not exactly hopeless but a little challenged, shall we say I am sure once installed and all the right drivers and software and Wi Fi connections and fibre impregnated photonic oscillators and remote interfaces are all..?..interfacing and oscillating properly yadda yadda yadda...hey I am sure I will love it! ...but the thought of having to set all this up is quite daunting to me ...my current dome is fully manual (as in physically manual, I push it!) and I am still controlling my beautiful big AP1600GTO...with the handbox for goodness sake! So, I'm juuuust taking it one step at a time for now, telling myself that I will work it out when the time comes...phew

Mike
Old 14-09-2021, 02:14 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
...my current dome is fully manual (as in physically manual, I push it!) and I am still controlling my beautiful big AP1600GTO...with the handbox for goodness sake!
Been in IT most of my life and I still push my G11 with the hand paddle. Never underestimate the simple things in life.
Old 14-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Well yes ..aaand no ...you see, I am a bit of an IT technophobe, not exactly hopeless but a little challenged, shall we say I am sure once installed and all the right drivers and software and Wi Fi connections and fibre impregnated photonic oscillators and remote interfaces are all..?..interfacing and oscillating properly yadda yadda yadda...hey I am sure I will love it! ...but the thought of having to set all this up is quite daunting to me ...my current dome is fully manual (as in physically manual, I push it!) and I am still controlling my beautiful big AP1600GTO...with the handbox for goodness sake! So, I'm juuuust taking it one step at a time for now, telling myself that I will work it out when the time comes...phew

Mike
My NexDome was originally manual and I didn’t want to go through the trauma of learning and setting up Voyager etc.. so I ordered a Dome motor and made my own Dome rotation control system ( based on Azimuthal movement of the object) it works ok until you get above 65degrees then the azimuthal angle dramatically changes distance vs time of rotation. It has a manual override so I can move the Dome back and forth as needed. Not perfect but good enough for a nights imaging
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (4F13D598-66D6-496F-883B-8E6763E74469.jpg)
192.0 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (F8D3309E-0AF1-427E-9BCA-EF51DB038CB1.jpg)
184.6 KB12 views
Click for full-size image (1F337D1E-19F5-4E9C-962C-57A1D85FE326.jpg)
186.3 KB10 views
Old 14-09-2021, 04:17 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Been in IT most of my life and I still push my G11 with the hand paddle. Never underestimate the simple things in life.
Oh I don't Mark, the simpler the better and probably the main reason I have had such incredibly reliable and productive imaging rigs, for so many years now, I keep it simple and don't change what works well...but there comes a time... besides, somehow having a You-Beaut Scopedome, without it at least following my mount as it tracks across the sky, would be rather sacrilegious me thinks

Mike
Old 14-09-2021, 04:21 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

I have mentioned being able to see the very faint full Zodiacal bridge from Eagleview...well here is a lovely photo of it:

Zodiacal Bridge

Need the darkest of skies to spot it

The other faint feature visible in the linked photo and that is also noticeable from Eagleview, is the enormous breadth of the Milky Ways central bulge, the very faintest extensions are like a huge gossamer glow around the brighter central more commonly seen bulge. I was able to trace this faint halo with the SQM-L meter too, it was registering out to some 45deg or more from the plain of the Milky Way! It wasn't until the Milky Way had got riiight over to the western horizon that this outer glow stopped affecting the SQM readings at the Zenith and they moved towards the 20.20 mark and beyond!

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 14-09-2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 14-09-2021, 04:31 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Not an extensive set of tests tonight...just once at 11pm before retiring to a warm bed. Turned off the lights inside, went out onto our elevated southen deck, perfectly clear with just a light breeze and took 6 readings overhead, at or near the zenith....Averaged them and wadda ya know?! 22.03mag/squ arc sec..again 😁 the same average as 11pm last night, very cool. This place is certainly consistent...t'is certainly lovely and dark up here...Oh and had a close encounter with a Wombat tonight, walked out the front earlier about 730 and there it was, waddling about 5m from me, had my torch on him, he looked at me scurried away slightly then stopped looked back at me and continued waddling away..very cute ☺..tried to get a photo on my phone but couldn't coordinate the torch and camera quick enough...
Night wildlife eh? I have had a fox watch me image doing nightscapes about 20 metres from me.

Greg.