Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-05-2010, 02:42 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Carina with FSQ106 and Canon 5D MII at a dark sky site.

Hiro a Japanese astrophotographer has recently collected data in WA.

More details here
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1

I made a HDR from his jpg's here 17.5MB

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co...RO_CAR_HDR.jpg

He has sent me his tiff files in the past to make HDR's.

Just shows what can be done with a DSLR at a dark sky site by a skilled astrophotographer.

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RZ4624374774_0D0357BB68_O_Lrz_RZ4623744941_1450A0519F_O_Lrz_easyHDR_L_10_sm.jpg)
174.4 KB184 views
Old 24-05-2010, 10:29 PM
gregbradley

Beautiful subtle hues everywhere. Gorgeous.

Greg.
Old 26-05-2010, 06:04 PM
peterl

Nice image with a DSLR.
They are certainly getting much better for astrophotography.

Wow!!!
Old 27-05-2010, 02:24 PM
jase (Jason)

Awesome result Bert. A testimony for sticking it out with HDR. I feel the stars overwhelm the scene which do distract from some of the nebulous features (personal preference). Perhaps the can be shrunk to strike a balance. Well done.

...so you going to trade in your L series glass for an FSQ?
Old 27-05-2010, 02:41 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

That large version is quite something.
Old 28-05-2010, 09:52 AM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Beautiful subtle hues everywhere. Gorgeous.

Greg.
Greg Hiro later put up four jpg's of his 15s, 60s, 240s, and 900s stacks. So using these I made this image using a modified version of my HDR method.

Large image 15MB

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co...o_HDR_4img.jpg

I am sure I could do better with the 16 bit data. It would also be far better to have a stack of about 500s exposures as the two stop jump is too big.

Bert
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RZ-CV-HRG_2_sat+40_3_sat+30_4_sat+20_1_sat+50_easyHDR_SRrb44_10sm.jpg)
186.3 KB28 views

Last edited by avandonk; 28-05-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 28-05-2010, 10:27 AM
avandonk
avandonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Awesome result Bert. A testimony for sticking it out with HDR. I feel the stars overwhelm the scene which do distract from some of the nebulous features (personal preference). Perhaps the can be shrunk to strike a balance. Well done.

...so you going to trade in your L series glass for an FSQ?
I will never sell my 300mm F2.8L Jase as it is superb for terrestial photography. It's resolution is as good as an FSQ with focal reducer although the field being far wider suffers from attenuation due to vignetting. It focuses silently and extremely quickly. In fact in camera burst mode it will keep up with an approaching/receding racing car or bird in flight. It resolves a spider web from thirty feet away in diffuse light. For really fast stuff it has a preset memory of focus position that you can lock in.

The latest version of Hiro's Carina image data deals somewhat with the stars. Sixteen (fourteen in reality) bit data would be far better.

I would like to get an FSQ but I barely get enough clear nights for the existing setup and targets.

I am seriously now thinking of collecting data remotely to fully test out my HDR methods with 16 bit data, an FSQ and a dark sky site.

The last thirty years of my working life was spent collecting xray data to elucidate the structure of biological macromolecules. We had exactly the same challenges signal to noise ratio and dynamic range. Even at a synchrotron with huge brilliance, signal to noise was still the most important parameter. We argued for years with the people at the Synchrotron in Chicago about beam configuration. They finally did what I suggested and miraculously the signal to noise was far better. Of course then it was their idea!
The Protein Beam Line at the Australian Synchrotron was designed by me/us and performs far better than even beam lines at 'bigger' synchrotrons.

I saw a niche where I could possibly contribute to astrophotography with my experience. It has been far more difficult than I first imagined. The trick was to fully understand all the variables. This is very difficult if you have any ignorance of even one variable.

If we can see further, it is because we all stand on the shoulders of people who were at it before us. I believe that is why we should give our ideas back for free.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 28-05-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 28-05-2010, 03:09 PM
jase (Jason)

Good to hear you'll be keeping the 300mm monster. Its a nice lens. I was only looking at your Corona Australis image the other day and realised how fantastic it is to see the full extent of dusty nebulosity. I often wondered how far it went and whether it would peer up with another DSO...eventually.

Keep them coming Bert.
Old 28-05-2010, 03:25 PM
TrevorW

Great data nice composition
Old 28-05-2010, 08:39 PM
leon

Bert I'm no expert, but I don't like it at all, I reckon I hve seen so much better from you, But that is only MHO.

As a data project I suppose I have lost the plot, but as a nice Image, it is not for me.

Leon
Old 29-05-2010, 01:34 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Leon it is a HDR image cobbled together from eight bit data. It just shows what is possible from a dark sky site. Look at the faint bits which are clearly visible. I dislike cartoon like representations just as much as you.

Bert
Old 29-05-2010, 02:25 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Leon - I must agree with you. It didn't make me go "wow", only "hmmmm".

DavidT
Old 29-05-2010, 02:51 PM
avandonk
avandonk

I just went 'wow' at your 'hmmmm'

Bert
Old 29-05-2010, 02:51 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

There is lots of work there Birt, but I am afraid I agree with Leon and David, it is getting as though you "cannot see the Wood for the Trees" The nebula
shape has all but disappeared
Just what is happening with images of Messier 17, they are just a mess of nebulosity,lots of data but no beauty
Cheers
Old 29-05-2010, 02:59 PM
avandonk
avandonk

In all honesty I would not do it this way. I would take far better care about balance. I could only process the data I had. If it irritates your collective appreciation so be it.
It is a 'brute force' way of depicting something that is far more subtle.

It finally depends on the balance between dim stuff and the very bright stuff. Show me an image that comes close to showing both at once.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 29-05-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 29-05-2010, 03:45 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Bert, I'm sure our comments weren't intended to cause you offence. I'm just calling it how I see it. The stars aren't pinpoints and the background is smokey.

DT
Old 29-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Satchmo

One of the most stunning images of the Eta Carinae region I have seen in a long time. Looking at the high resolution version scaled to fit my HD 24" monitor the stars are tiny and pinoint sharp. You can't judge this photo until you see the large version on a large monitor. The small picture embedded in the thread does not remotely do it justice A fantastic piece of work from all concerned.
Old 29-05-2010, 04:59 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

For the record, I did view the high res version on my 24inch monitor before casting my opinion...

DT
Old 29-05-2010, 05:02 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Sure are a lot of stars. I really like the colors and the blue reflection nebs that are usually totally missed in the area. Loads of dust around. Very cool shot. Needs to be seen on a large scale monitor or plasma screen - agreed. A computer monitor just doesn't do it justice.
Old 29-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Satchmo

On my 1920 X 1200 pixel monitor with the image scaled to fit width the smallest star images are at the pixel level ...it doesn't get any better then that.