Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-11-2014, 09:56 AM
GraemeT (Graeme)
Learning fast

Your instruction manual for the scope should emphasize that the scope is only for use at night ie. when it is dark.
Old 21-11-2014, 10:04 AM
CJ (Chris)

Hi Ozstargazer. Which refractor did you go for? I remember reading your thread pondering on what to go for and I'm interested to know what the conclusion was.
Cheers
Old 21-11-2014, 10:32 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Hi Ozstargazer. Which refractor did you go for? I remember reading your thread pondering on what to go for and I'm interested to know what the conclusion was.
Cheers
Hi Chris, I bought the Celestron Astromaster 90AZ. As soon as I have a better viewing situation I will buy a better scope though. I would like a NexStar 8", but it is too big for the balcony...
Old 21-11-2014, 01:20 PM
CJ (Chris)

Thanks OSG. Cost aside, I too rather fancy a large SCT.
Old 21-11-2014, 01:42 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Thanks OSG. Cost aside, I too rather fancy a large SCT.
Yeah, they are pretty expensive here, but prices are more reasonable in the US (although there would be no real warranty if you buy from overseas).

I also have the problem (as I mentioned in the "A Great Day for Minorities" thread) that having a garden and being there on my own in the middle of the night might be dangerous... My doc said self-defence courses would not be good for me at the moment because of asthma etc. So I would practically be at the mercy of a criminal. I found out that not only guns, but even pepper sprays are illegal (somebody had mentioned pepper spray in that thread).

There are really beautiful buildings by the harbour here with spacious balconies (on two sides!) + view where I would be safe, but they are soooo expensive. Almost 1 million $. So.... Still thinking where I could go to stargaze in peace at night. I would really like to have a large SCT one day! It is my biggest dream, and I am not somebody who gives up on dreams so easily...

PS: By the way, I was once really assaulted on holiday in South America. Partly probably my fault. I went to the most dangerous place against everybody's advice.... And someone grabbed me and wanted my watch. I must have been in a crazy mood that day because not only did I go to a dangerous place, but then also refused to give this person my watch, although it was very cheap... Just a matter of principle... He didn't use any weapons or hit me though. I remember very clearly how he grabbed my arm with one hand and pointed at my watch with the other hand (without saying a word, maybe he thought I didn't understand Spanish, although I did). And I courageously refused to give it to him.... LOL Then somebody came to my rescue and he basically took the watch off my wrist and ran away. I don't think he was a "professional criminal" because he didn't have a weapon or anything. Maybe he was just hungry? I don't know... After this bout of courage I felt scared though, and the arm he had grabbed ached for a few days! We then also went to a police station, but they didn't do much apart from saying that I was "loca" (crazy) to go there...

Last edited by OzStarGazer; 21-11-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 21-11-2014, 01:46 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Pity you can't get someone to let you use the roof of a block.
Above the lights and reasonably stable.
Old 21-11-2014, 01:57 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Pity you can't get someone to let you use the roof of a block.
Above the lights and reasonably stable.
As a kid I lived in a building with a huge space at the top (almost like a playground). It would have been ideal for stargazing, but I am not there any more. Actually they kicked out everybody when I was still a child to make offices out of all apartments...
It would have been difficult anyway to go up there every night with the scope, and leaving it up there would not have been wise either, as everybody in the building had access to it...
Old 21-11-2014, 04:16 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Rent a 10x10 space and build an obsy!
Old 21-11-2014, 04:48 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I assume an electric fence would interfere with GOTO? Maybe if the distance is big it wouldn't though, for example if it is a countryside house with a lot of land?
Old 22-11-2014, 06:24 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I decided to take the risk when I have the chance to have a house.
I am not going to live like a nun only because I am a girl.
If I am assaulted... at least it will be after I have enjoyed something.
Old 26-11-2014, 07:30 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Well, the "magic pen" doesn't work at all...
I don't know, maybe it only works on car paint. The scope might have a different type of surface/coating.

I will try to find some paint that matches it, but I am not very happy.