Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Giorgio

Dark sky location, safety and other criterias beside the obvious one

Hi all,

Maybe I'm excessively paranoid, but in looking around for a dark sky location, I found my self wandering what attributes you decide make a location, beside obviously a dark sky, a suitable spot for stargazing.

I live in Toowoomba QLD since 3 years ago (coming from Sydney Eastern suburbs where I lived there for 9 years and before it, from Milan Italy, where I was born I lived till then).

I haven't yet developed a good knowledge of the area around Toowoomba, so recently I traveled in a few kilometers around it, to find suitable places.

In doing it I realized it isn't that easy, as beside a few park areas and along country road sides, it is all private properties.

Although Toowoomba is way a more safe place than bigger cities, I feel road sides aren't exactly the safest locations for star gazing. The same IMHO, is more or less true for public accessible parks. Our equipment is expensive and often big enough to not pass unobserved by passing by people. Hence I don't think to be too paranoid in considering they may attract undesirable guests. If I were still living in Milan I wouldn't have any doubt about it, sadly.

My current conclusion is that I should look for contacting land owners of suitable dark sky locations and asking their permission for accessing them at agreed terms. Of course finding another fellow star gazer in Toowoomba, who has already found suitable places, would certaintly be the best solution. Who knows maybe I can be so lucky he/she is one of you.

So, I'm curious to know, how you faced these issues, if you found yourself having already faced similar issues.

Clear Skies
Giorgio
Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Giorgo,

Get a good map of the area (CMA topographic type). Look for roads that lead nowhere - ie have a "dead-end" and preferably on high ground.

Scout out by day these sites. I moved to the country 21 years ago, one of the reasons was for darker skies. I scouted around by day on my motorbike until I found just the perfect site in such a location. Never had any visitors in all the years that I used it. About 5 years ago developers got into it, but now I have found other sites and also have farmer friends whose properties I can use.

I never worry about security - no one is out to pinch your gear, although I always have a light ready to shine if should a car ever head towards my set up.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM
ArcaneMagik (Craig)

Are legendary big cats in the Blue Mountains a valid concern?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Contact Mark Bolton (Bolts_Tweed) - he owns a block at Leyburn (about 60km south of Toowoomba). It is used by the Southern Astronomical Society for dark sky nights.

DT
Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 AM
EddieDog (Eddie)
Old Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Giorgo,

Get a good map of the area (CMA topographic type). Look for roads that lead nowhere - ie have a "dead-end" and preferably on high ground.

Scout out by day these sites. I moved to the country 21 years ago, one of the reasons was for darker skies. I scouted around by day on my motorbike until I found just the perfect site in such a location. Never had any visitors in all the years that I used it. About 5 years ago developers got into it, but now I have found other sites and also have farmer friends whose properties I can use.

I never worry about security - no one is out to pinch your gear, although I always have a light ready to shine if should a car ever head towards my set up.
I don't think its just stealing that is the conceren. I live in Perth, but would be very, very concerned at going to quiet places here, as described By Gio, we have a huge crime rate here and physical assualt and bashings, just for few cents or for the hell of it are common.
Eddie
Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 AM
h0ughy (David)

where ever you go - try to get a few other people with you. Safety in numbers and gives you something to talk to and while away the night. if you can find someone whos property you can get on that would be good
Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

I'd get in touch with the local Astronomical Society. There will be members there that have access to dark sky sites, as David has said. I've been to plenty of off the side road dark sites and never had a problem with anyone... Most of the time, if they see you they will turn around, because they are looking for a suitable dark site also with no one around. I am now using a property east of Adelaide for most of my observing these days, all fenced in and away from everyone. Only problem, no 240v source
Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Chooka (Pete)

Giorgio, have you tried out towards Gowrie Junction? There are a few back roads there that get little to no traffic at night, and are very dark no houses or street lights. I was looking last night on the way home from work (11:30pm) and couldn't believe how clear it was out that way.
If you get really stuck for a spot you could possibly come around to my place on the weekends, its pretty dark out here (between Gowrie Junction and Highfields) our house is set back off the road about 50mtr on the side of a hill.

Pete

Last edited by Chooka; 12-05-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Giorgio

Well first of all I want to thank for your advices and opinion on the matter.

Maybe it is just me, but moving in another country raised issues I wouldn't likely have, if I would grow up here. While for you it is normal to live in an environment hosting venomous snakes, spiders, etc and most likely you instinctively know where this kind of danger may be, I've a very few clues.
On other hand, I guess you may be more exposed, than me, to nasty surprises, if you would visit Milan (or all big cities you may not have been yet, for what it matters).
Hence, I can easily relate to what Eddie shared about stargazing around Perth. These kind of concerns were part of the reasons lead me to migrate 'down under'.

I'm also very new to star gazing and this friendly community and this thread is a way for me and likely many other beginners, to know, not just your accumulated astronomy and technical knowledge, but other sides of this hobby too.

@David, thanks for let me know about Mark Bolton, I will surely contact him asap.

@Pete, I just bought a second hand Saxon 10" from another member of this forum and I'm going to pick it up in a couple of weeks. As soon as I familiarized with it, I very much appreciate your offer and surely will contact you for organizing when to come there.

Cheers
Giorgio

PS: last night was damn bloody cold and I was wandering what kind of tricks you adopted for it...

Joking!
I can easily guess this one... Obviously must have to do with heavy use of spirits!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Sylvain (Jon)
Stars Chaser

Ahah I was gonna say: thick clothes and multiple layers, but liquor would also do the trick

I agree with what has been said before: it's a good idea to look on the map - google satellite is awesome for this - what the best spots could be and have a look during the day. The safest option would probably have to be being in a group on a private property.
As mentioned already, it is a good idea to get in touch with your local Astronomical Society.

Good luck
Sylvain