Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
goldcoast (Marissa)

Gold Coast teacher looking for help =)

Hi everyone,
My class are currently studying the solar system this term. The children have been learning about the phases of the moon, singing songs, building paper mache models to scale and we are looking at orbits of the planets. We are in the process of organising a "Space Night" in the coming weeks (one night between the 16th August to 27th August, with an expected duration of approximately 2 hours from 6-8pm) and we would love to invite you into our classroom to share your knowledge and expertise. The night will be an open classroom with students displaying their works, singing their songs, and a demonstration of planet orbits by the students. Beverages and snacks will be provided. If you have any ideas you think will add to this fun night, please let me know.

If you can join us, we will choose a night which best suits you. Perhaps you could help us choose a night where the Moon, Saturn or Jupiter for example are most visible through telescope.

We would love for you to join us,
Mrs Marissa Sproule
marissa_sproule@hotmail.com
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Hi Marissa, welcome to IIS. Pity I don't live down the 'Coast way. I'd love to be able to come to a Space Night for the kids. There are some members who live down that way, or could get there relatively easily, but it looks like none are online at the moment.

I think there should be a lot more science taught in schools...especially astronomy. So many people these days don't even look up when they go outside. Many wouldn't even know what the Full Moon looks like, let alone be able to tell you what star was what. It's a great shame. So many missing out on so much.

Anyway, I hope one of the guys (or gals) can make the time to come down and give you and the kids a hand. I think it will be a very rewarding experience
Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 PM
M54 (Molly)

Hi Marissa,

Sounds like it's going to be a great night for the kids. I hope you get some takers for your invitation.
There is an Astronomical society up on the Gold Coast (Tweed) http://www.sas.org.au/index.html that may also be able to help.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Hi Marissa

Pity you are on the otherside of the country. I do astronomy nights with my students fairly regularly (highschool) and the kids always love them. I am sure someone close by will step up.

Good luck

Mark
Old 11-08-2010, 03:23 PM
psyche101
Watcher

Hi Marissa

Which school?

Do you have scopes for your presentation night?

I pale considerably next to the people I see posting in here regularly (I don't always log in), however, if I can help, I'll do what I can. Maybe Marki could offer some tips for me
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

Hi I live in the Philippines so a quick visit is not in the cards. I am just curious if you are acquainted with all of the excellent educational material that N.A.S.A. and Hubble have on their web sites?
Brian