Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-05-2014, 04:36 PM
mikeoday005

star diagonal Skywatcher Quattro - will it focus?

Hi

Please forgive the newbie question, but ...

I have balanced my new Skywatcher 10" for imaging - guide scope on top, 30mm DSLR/Coma Corrector attached to the focuser underneath.

During an evening of viewing I would also like to sometimes remove the camera and insert an eypiece for direct viewing - the problem is that I need to be about 3 feet tall and have a hinge in my neck to look into the eyepiece. (Note that I cannot rotate the tube because the guide scope would throw the sytem out of balance - not to mention that it would be a pain to have to re-balance multiple times during a session).

The simple solution would be to buy a star diagonal but I have read that some scopes do not have enough focus travel to work with a diagonal.

Does anyone know if the Skywatcher Quattro 10" will focus when using a diagonal?

Cheers
Mike
Old 13-06-2014, 09:20 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Most newts wont focus with tr star diagonal in, not enough in focus, if anything try a 1.25" unit (being much shorter th will use up less focus distance..with a 2" I think you'll be no chance (these add close t o 3")
Old 14-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

I think that it probably will. Daniel is right for most Newts, but these are unusual in that the focal plane is far enough out that you can get a DSLR to focus (>55mm), so a 1.25 diagonal could well fit in OK. Would need a low profile 2">1.25" adapter. Will try it out next time I have mine set up.

Last edited by Shiraz; 15-06-2014 at 01:01 AM.