Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 23-09-2015, 02:59 PM
BruceG (Bruce)

NEQ6 V's AZEQ6

Hi all. I'm considering a new mount and would like to ask those more in the know, if there is any real advantage in the AZEQ6 over the NEQ6. I fail to see any real need for me to use ALT AZ, but to my eye the engineering of the AZ seems to be superior to its predecessor and the dual servo on the axes (so the mount knows where it is if you let a clutch off and manually slew it.
Your thoughts and views will be appreciated.
Old 23-09-2015, 03:16 PM
glend (Glen)

Well is that feature worth the extra $500 (based on current special price at Andrews)? You can buy belt mod kits for the NEQ6 Pro from Rowan Engineering ( which I am currently installing) and that will cost you about $200. There is no difference in capacity. If your imaging then you won't use the Alt-Az and the software is identical for both models.
Can't see any performance difference once the NEQ6 is on belts.
Old 23-09-2015, 03:55 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

My cursory glance at performance after installing a belt kit showed the best guiding I've had after installing the belt kit.

The other thing is the altitude adjustment on the NEQ6 is terrible; I believe the AZ to be better here.

I'd rather buy an AZ than spend $500+ on mods, voiding warranty in the process. If you don't think you'll want/need those features, go with the NEQ6. If it was me and I had the money I'd definitely go with the AZ.
Old 23-09-2015, 04:08 PM
bugeater (Marty)

I've got the AZ and never had a standard one. But from everything I've read, most think the belts and the altitude adjustment are worth the premium in price. Plus you get other features you may or may not use in the bargain (lighter weight, AZ feature, encoders...). I even found the camera intervalometer function to be quite useful until I moved to EQMOD (I don't think the standard one can do this?)
Old 23-09-2015, 05:46 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I think you also get a larger diameter CW shaft on the AZ version. Not sure if this is retractable like the EQ version or a screw in variety?

The arrangement of the EQ counterweight shaft attachment is not ideal in my view as the CW shaft puts sidewards load on the dec taper bearing tension adjustment screw.
Old 23-09-2015, 05:52 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
I even found the camera intervalometer function to be quite useful until I moved to EQMOD (I don't think the standard one can do this?)
No, it can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
I think you also get a larger diameter CW shaft on the AZ version. Not sure if this is retractable like the EQ version or a screw in variety?

The arrangement of the EQ counterweight shaft attachment is not ideal in my view as the CW shaft puts sidewards load on the dec taper bearing tension adjustment screw.
Ah, good point. I replaced that on my NEQ6 as well. I'd heard that it made a significant difference to tracking, but since I did this at the same time as the belt mod I don't know exactly how much of an impact each had in isolation.
Old 23-09-2015, 07:51 PM
bugeater (Marty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Not sure if this is retractable like the EQ version or a screw in variety?
It's both It's retractable plus there is a screw on extension if you need it.
Old 23-09-2015, 07:53 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
It's both It's retractable plus there is a screw on extension if you need it.
Hopefully it's not attached to the same part that loads the DEC axis bearings
Old 23-09-2015, 08:14 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have the Orion branded version of the AZEQ6 and a friend images with an EQ6.

Firstly, the altitude jackscrew arrangement is light years ahead of the older EQ6 design. Some have commented that the jackscrew sticks out further and is a risk of being a cable snag point when imaging. To date I do not image so I can't comment on that.

The clutch arrangement is better.

The dual encoders do mean you can loose the clutches and point manually, one of my specific justifications for spending the extra when I bought it and a feature that I use multiple times every night I have it out. If I am headed for a target and I know where it is, I HATE waiting for a slew and was prepared to pay the extra to be able to point manually and then keep on tracking.

The dual mode is handy, for visual use as far as I am concerned, Alt Az is undeniably better than EQ in the kind of places where the EP ends up, it is also easier to point near the pole though aiming directly overhead is tricky, IMO it trades off much easier aiming near the pole all the time for a little harder pointing at the zenith, where all you need to do there is wait for a bit and a target at the zenith will become more convenient.
Old 25-09-2015, 09:27 AM
BruceG (Bruce)

Thanks everyone for your opinions. All in all I think the facts are steering me in the direction of the AZEQ. Now I await the funds....
Old 25-09-2015, 10:02 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

If you can get the Orion branded version they are typically in the order of a couple of hundred dollars cheaper. The difference as far as I know is that the Orion is painted black!
Old 25-09-2015, 11:29 AM
rrussell1962

Bruce, I have owned both the EQ6 Pro and AzEq6 previously before deciding on a lighter, more portable mount better suited to my requirements ( a mount I could carry down steps fully assembled in one trip) Paul's previous comments are spot-on regarding the differences between them.