Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 12:28 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Lacey, A quick run-thru, Collimate the finder to the t'scope. To do this, take the t'scope outside during the DAY, or somewhere you can see an object about 500/1000 mtrs away, say a tower or pole.
DO NOT POINT AT SUN OR LEAVE UNATTENDED.
Fit the larger E/Pc, 25 mm?, centre the top of the pole in the (F)ield (O)f (V)iew of the E/Pc. Adjust the finder to centre on the SAME pole.
When viewing at night, roughly align the t'scope to/at the object, & using the finder, centre the object. USE the 25 mm E/Pc, & with, say, JUPITER centred, slowly adj. the focus till it's a crisp DISK, & the bands stand out clearly. You should also see the moons as pinpoints of light.
NOW, change E/Pcs. You should only have to move the focus very slightly to get a crisp image. Pinpoint stars are what you're aiming for.
If you want to use a barlow, (an 'ORION' shorty seems the go here), which will effectively double the magnification, then start with the 25 mm E/Pc first. This gives you 12.5 mm E/Pc., with 80 x mag.
Guys, please correct here if nec. The 8"/200 mm is 1000 mm long is it not? This makes it an f8. The mags you get with your current E/Pcs are 25 mm = 40 x, 10 mm = 100 x.
1000 div by 25 = 40. etc etc.......
In reading your post, I can see that you're trying to magnify by adjusting the focus. THIS IS WRONG. To magnify, you change E/Pcs.
A good spread of E/Pcs is one where you DON'T DOUBLE UP too closely, so with a 25 & 10, I would suggest an 18 mm/15 mm/9 mm. But, buy good quality 'Plossl's'.
HTH. If you have any more questions, please ask. We are here to assist everyone in this great hobby.
Regards, L
ps. Apologies to Grant for this post. Good luck with your choice of DOB.

Last edited by RAJAH235; 05-09-2005 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Apologies to Grant
Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 PM
grantrosehill

Thankyou all for the feedback.. yes the back seat is a joke .. and no the seats don't fold down. I didn't think of actually asking andrews to let me try it for size.

Actually I was hopping that the answers would be more along the line of don't worry the apperture will be big enough to see things from your backyard.

My partner has the "family" car so I could purchase a larger one but would not like to rely on him to transport me to suitable sites for viewing. This is my first telescope and was concerned that I would need to transport it through the back seats to the front (I hope that gets the picture across) and that the scope would not be able to handle the jostling during the trip.

Grant
Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Lacey

I can see 'davidpretorius''s picture.....my source tells me that is Venus...if this is wrong I will beat my source to a pulp!....I have a GS-680 (200mm) it came with 500 series plossel ep's....I think I have found the other planet (extremely bright) only I can't define it yet to make out what it is....??

And sorry Grant for interrupting...I chose a Dob from the info I gained from here...I am extremely impressed that I have got to see the two vertical lines even just as davidpretorius's picture thingie.....I do have to adjust it (not having tracking) but the dob is all toooooo easy to use. I have adjusted the finder scope as below (not in day light though) for $399 I definately think I have value for money....A friend purchased a tasco and utterly useless ($210).....Sooooo a huge thanks to Iceinspace

PS thanks Rajah, I will do that tomorrow and let you know how I go

Last edited by Lacey; 05-09-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Lacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpretorius
the dob bases from andrews are so easy to assemble / disassemble. couldn't be more than 6 to 8 allen screws.

worst case scenario, scope in back seat, and partly disassemble and lay in boot
Grant

Mine is from Andrews (GS-680 8") and the tube so to speak is detachable from the base by two simple nylon ribbon rings, 1130mm long tube, round base approx 550mm with uprights of approx 600mm (I have a Magna, the tube backseat, and base in boot)

hope that helps??
Old 05-09-2005, 08:35 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hiya lacey, yeah talk to the people you got it from. it could be something simple like having to move your primary mirror one way or the other. you shouldnt have problems focusing with your 2 eyepiece.
Quote:
If I wind out the ep when fitted to the scope everything goes bigger but incredibly blurry (stars look like CD's)
this is supposed to happen. each eyepiece has a point where it focus' if you go either side of where it is focused it turns "turns stars into CD" that is becomes out of focus. some people who are new to telescopes believ that you should be able to "zoom in" with an eyepiece with the focuser but you cant.
sorry if you knew that already.

ask more questions
Old 05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

god i am slow!
been answered already!

/me crawls back under a rock
Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

yes mate, that is jupiter that i managed to image with my 10" dob from andrews communication. i used a webcam and captured it as it went through the viewing area.

venus is very bright, after the sun and moon, the brightest thing you will see

venus is above jupiter and to the left as you look with the naked eye to the west at around say 7pm.

remember everything is inverted when you look thru the scope, so venus will appear to be below and to the right as you move around looking at the two at the moment while they are close
Old 10-09-2005, 12:52 PM
grantrosehill

well I did it - another dob owner

Picked up my 10" dob (the one with the crayford focuser) from Andrews this morning. I have resigned myself to the fact that if I am to transport it anywhere there is no way it will every fit in my car. I will just have to use the family car.

As usual the clouds are now moving in and no doubt it will not get much use tonight at least.

Thankyou all for your assistance

Grant
Old 10-09-2005, 01:10 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

well done fellow 10" dobber. I will have a eq wedge and motoriaation for tracking soon for us special 10" dobbers!!!