Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
BowzerS14

Good spot for viewing in SE suburbs of Melbourne

Hi all
Have had a few chances to get out there with my 8" dob but cause im near monash uni (reasonably busy), there is a lot of light ploution. Even at the park i go to there are to many street lights and people up all night (Never mind the dam sprinklers on the oval!!!!)
I purchased a 2" Barlow to go with the eyepieces that came with the scope so i can get some decent magnification now.
Now all i need is somewere dark to go. Do any of you SE suburbs people now a quite dark spot within 20 mins or so of monash, clayton.

Another quick question - I got a copy of Astronomy 2006 with the scope and sort of understand the "All sky maps" but am having trouble locating the things when im out there. Are there any better yet noobie safe charts to get or download. (I asume the dark skies might help a bit to!!)

Cheers
Old 02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
cjmarsh81

I use the Sky and Telescope star charts and find them to be the easiest to read (Just my opinion). I do think they are made for Sydney and therefore I don't know what the difference will be for Melbourne. Probably different times, I really don't know.

Have you seen Saturn yet? I highly recommend that you look for it. It is the most fantastic thing I have seen in the sky.

Funnily enough, I used to live in the Western Suburbs in Werribee. Nights are very dark there. Unfortunately, I was not into astronomy at the time. Doh!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowzerS14
Do any of you SE suburbs people now a quite dark spot within 20 mins or so of monash, clayton.
You must live very close to me. You want to put as much distance between you and the source of light pollution as possible. So get on the South Eastern and find a state park or befriend a farmer somewhere between Narre Warren and Pakenham.

For an all nighter, Falls Creek at 1400m above sea level is an excellent dark site (big empty level carparks for ski season, toilets, shelter, BBQ at the top carpark) within 1.5 hours drive (just under 100km). Take a tent or stay in a motel at Marysville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowzerS14
Are there any better yet noobie safe charts to get or download.
Taki's star atlas is excellent: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~zs3t-tk/atlas/atlas.htm

Btw. If you are free this weekend, you should come along to the Snake Valley camp. It will be a feast of astro gear, dark skies (hopefully two nights of), and a good mix of experienced people and newbies. See http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=5700
Old 02-03-2006, 06:15 PM
BowzerS14

Hi
Hey cjmarsh81. I did manage to get a glimpse of Saturn on Monday night. It was great, the scope hadnt been outside for long and there was a bit of light around even in the park close to me. I went from aront 36x (32mm 2" eyepice) to 266x (9mm 1.25" with 2" 2x Barlow). Could see the rings and the shadow they cast. Struggled for to much more detail!! Need dark skies dam it!!
I see what you guys mean with tracking and Dobs, its in an out of the FOV in no time at high mags.

Hey janoskiss. Yeah im still at uni, so close to monash is the go for me. The highway sounds like a good plan, ill check the melways for a park or reserve or something. You sure falls creek is that close. I thought it was a 4ish hours at best!!
Thanks for the link to the star atlas, ill check it out.
I got a friend of a friends wedding this weekend so im tied up, real pain cause i really would like to get out there with some more experienced viewers.

Thankd for your help
Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

For Saturn, or any of the showpiece planets, and the Moon you do not need dark skies, because they are very bright. Barlowing the 9mm probably gave you too much magnification for the conditions. You should be able to see the Cassini division from here most nights (when not cloudy ) if your mirror is properly cooled. Try the 15mm eyepiece first (that's enough to begin showing Cassini) and then the 9mm. Then barlow the 15mm if seeing allows, and try the barlowed 9mm on rare nights of exceptional seeing.

Falls Creek is 1.5 hours. But you said 20 minutes so then just take the Freeway as far as you can go, and find a reserve without lights.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 PM
BowzerS14

ah ok, thanks janoskiss ill give that a try. Musnt of been looking hard enough. Looks like it might be ok viewing tonight and possibly tomorrow night.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2006, 09:56 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Yes, tonight is good. Go for it tonight. Collimate & crank that fan and you should see Cassini (and maybe a few more features on the rings) and banding on the planet. Jupiter has been displaying lots of detail over the past several nights, if you can stay up that late (or get up that early).
Old 03-03-2006, 06:49 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss
For an all nighter, Falls Creek at 1400m above sea level is an excellent dark site (big empty level carparks for ski season, toilets, shelter, BBQ at the top carpark) within 1.5 hours drive (just under 100km). Take a tent or stay in a motel at Marysville.
Steve, Falls Creek is 1.5hrs east of my place. I think you mean Lake Mountain if your talking of climbing the mountain from Marysville.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

thanks John! I'm glad someone is awake. I'll go try and find that brain now. I'm sure it was around here somewhere.

Bowzer, what John said. Sorry, I meant the Lake not the Creek.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:12 PM
BowzerS14

he he figured as much jano. Im going to head out tonight, looks ok. See what i can find.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
DougAdams
Lord Lissie

I'm in South Oakleigh, and I've been looking for somewhere to take the scope too. I was looking at the Mt Macedon observatory website yesterday, but they charge $25 to set up there. Falls Creek sounds great.

On a whim last night (even with approaching full moon) I tossed the scope in the car and went to the Briars near Mornington. I visited this place a few weeks ago and saw the Peninsula Astro society meets there, and the park is open all night.

I blundered in around dusk, drove around a bit, and found quiet place up near the Camp. Seemed quite dark and safe. I spotted more naked eye stuff there with the moon than I could on a dark night from Oakleigh. Took about 45 minutes to drive down there.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougAdams
Falls Creek sounds great.
To correct myself again: it's Lake Mountain, not Falls Creek. 1.5 hours from where we are.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

I have a nice reasonably quiet spot 20 minutes from home which is out the other side of Cranbourne. Its on the side of a quiet dirt road but with a large grassed area of maybe 20 metres between the road and the farmers fence.
Horizons are excellent but with LP to the northwest comming from Cranbourne, otherwise the sky is pretty dark, much better than I can get from home in any case

I have to put up with headlights from the very occasional car driving past, but its as good as I'm going to get so close to home.
Nobody has ever stopped to enquire as to what Im doing there, even the land owner. If other people start popping up there things could change, so sorry I wont be saying exactly where it is
Old 13-03-2006, 04:18 PM
DougAdams
Lord Lissie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler
I have to put up with headlights from the very occasional car driving past, but its as good as I'm going to get so close to home.
Nobody has ever stopped to enquire as to what Im doing there, even the land owner. If other people start popping up there things could change, so sorry I wont be saying exactly where it is
I remember heading that way to watch the Leonids the year they put on a good show. Ended up just the other side of Tooradin and it was pretty good. I won't try to rumble your secret spot.
Old 13-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Pretty close Doug