Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 10:12 PM
bono

Best telescope under $500

Hello all, after spending some time with my 7x50 binoculars and studying the stars with the naked eyes, I would like to invest in my first telescope.
I would like some portability (ie. refractor might be better here?) as I don't mind tagging the scope along every now and then for a joy ride in the car.

Can anyone recommend a good enough portable telescope for under $500. I would prefer second hand (for the value).

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jono
Old 02-11-2005, 10:38 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Jono,
Have you had a look at www.Andrewscom.com.au? You can pick up a very nice GSO 8" dob for only $399, or a 6" newt on an EQ mount for $499. The dob would be easier to cart around in the car.
Quite a few of our members have bought from Andrews, and I don't think I've heard any complaints, only praise.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

That's easy: 8" GSO Dobsonian. From Andrews they're around $400, somewhat more from Bintel but with expert support and service, and better accessories. Tube fits in the back seat of a small hatchback and the base in the boot.

If you must have a refractor, AOE (www.aoe.com.au) have decent refractors for under $500. Longer is better with these cheap ones because they will have less false colour. You will see a lot less with these than with the Dob.

Good second hand budget scopes are hard to find. Prices have been coming down rapidly in recent years, so a 3-4 year old scope would have to be sold at a 70-80% loss to the owner to compete with current new prices. And mirrors do age and need realuminising every so many years.

Last edited by janoskiss; 03-11-2005 at 12:47 PM. Reason: incorrect link (to the wrong AOE)
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie
Quite a few of our members have bought from Andrews, and I don't think I've heard any complaints, only praise.
You obviously haven't been paying attention jjjnettie...
Old 02-11-2005, 10:46 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Welcome Jono,

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

is a great place to start and I would recommend going and seeing these guy and http://www.bintelshop.com.au/ and http://myastroshop.com.au/

Firstly what are your expectations. Are you looking for massive views of planets, or big galaxies? Do you want to take top quality pictures.

Generally the above scenarios are many $$$ 10,000 plus all the rest

The Guan Sheng GS-680-LTD
$399.00 AUD is a great start to get as much light into your eye for the $ you spend. TO make it up to $500, you could get say a 9mm or 12mm eyepieces for looking at things closer and a 20 or 25mm eyepiece for wider views.

Janokiss has a 8" and I know he is happy with it.

Keep asking away and don't rush in!!

Or for $599 you are into a 10" dob.

The 8" dob is very portable however.

Lots of guys in sydney that can help you choose. There are get togethers, so you can try before you buy.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:56 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Jono, I have to agree with the others.

For $500 you can be set-up and viewing in 5 minutes with a Dobsonian. These scopes are fairly cheap and are good quality. They fit in most cars (depending on the size scope you buy) are fairly light to carry and give very good images.

I don't know much about refractors but I do know it is hard to get a good quality one under $500. Often the mounts let them down even if the scope is good.

Ask anything, we are here to help.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janoskiss
You obviously haven't been paying attention jjjnettie...
What have I missed Steve?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 PM
bono

thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess accuracy of colours and details is not too important for me at this stage, just a more closer look than what my 7x50 can do would be enough as long as its quick to setup from the car.

I am tentatively looking at this saxon reflector 114 - 1000mm on ebay with EQ mount for about $350 but it doesn't look too easy to assemble

I will give astroshop a call morro to ask them about factory seconds refractors and DOBs.

Also, is there any "suburban" astronomy groups in sydney, where the focus is on naked eye/binoculars night sky appreciation as oppose to deep space observation? I suppose the get-together would be more casual with a social focus than a knowlege focus (after all, you can only see so much with the naked eye/binoculars in the suburbs)

Jono
Old 02-11-2005, 11:21 PM
bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons
Jono, I have to agree with the others.

For $500 you can be set-up and viewing in 5 minutes with a Dobsonian. These scopes are fairly cheap and are good quality. They fit in most cars (depending on the size scope you buy) are fairly light to carry and give very good images.

I don't know much about refractors but I do know it is hard to get a good quality one under $500. Often the mounts let them down even if the scope is good.

Ask anything, we are here to help.
How are Dobsonians mounted? (excuse the ignorance). Don't they need a flat/non moving surface? Can they be tilted directly vertical?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
What have I missed Steve?
Some members had "issues" with scopes purchased from Andrews, and had a hard time getting problems rectified. But many others have not complained. I am not going to elaborate because we usually never hear the full story anyway. Suffice to say that my experience is that Andrews only have very limited knowledge about scopes and optics, so I expect no support or expert advice like I would from AOE or Bintel.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono
I am tentatively looking at this saxon reflector 114 - 1000mm on ebay with EQ mount for about $350 but it doesn't look too easy to assemble
Be very careful of scopes like this if the tube is considerably shorter than the given focal length. Many of these have a built in plastic barlow lens to artificially give a long focal length. Such scopes are trash.

Scope buying rule #1 : If you dont know exactly what you're doing, keep well away from ebay.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I'm sorry that "issues" have risen re. Andrews. I had no trouble with them when I made my purchase.
Bintel is renown for its back up, support and advise as you said. But you pay for that with the extra cost of your scope.
It makes it another factor to concider, when you purchase a new scope.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:59 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
I guess accuracy of colours and details is not too important for me at this stage ...
It's not really colour "accuracy" that suffers with a cheap refractor. The problem is that different colours do not reach focus at the same place so you get colour fringing. Some people don't mind. I personally hate it. I've attached a pics of Jupiter, one with simulated chromatic aberration. That is the sort of thing you get with achromatic refractors, but it is not meant to be representative of any particular refractor. You really need to look through the scope yourself to see what you get and if you mind it or not.

Quote:
How are Dobsonians mounted? (excuse the ignorance). Don't they need a flat/non moving surface? Can they be tilted directly vertical?
Dob mount is the simplest and easiest to use mount there is. Check out pics on dealer's manufacturer's sites. The Orion website (www.oriontel.com) also have downloadable user's guides for their scopes you might want to look at. The XT8 is almost the same scope as the GS 8" (200mm) Dob.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2005, 12:38 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Wink

bono, You might get some more info here, but why not combine Binocular viewing with t'scopes? We all do! There's lots of "local" Societies & clubs >
http://www.sasi.net.au
Sutherland Astro. Society.
www4.tpgi.com.au/users/wsaag
Western Sydney Group
www.nsas.org.au
Northern Sydney Astro. Soc.
www.sydneycityskywatchers.asn.au
Sydney City.(B.A.A.).
A bit further south you get us,
http://www.users.bigpond.com/paul.b
The W.A.A.C.ers. (Wollongong Amateur Astronomy Club).
HTH. L.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:09 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

Before you make a purchase, I'd suggest you come up to one of our viewing meets at Kulnura on the central coast - there's a wide range of scopes there, including 8" dobs so you can see what you'll get for your money, how they are assembled, what you'll see through them, etc.

It's only a bit over an hour from Sydney, it's well worth the travel time for the dark skies, good company and good advice.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:50 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
I'm sorry that "issues" have risen re. Andrews. I had no trouble with them when I made my purchase.
Bintel is renown for its back up, support and advise as you said. But you pay for that with the extra cost of your scope.
It makes it another factor to concider, when you purchase a new scope.
there was someone who recently recieved a dob with a scratched mirror... but that was just a case of taking it back...
really these guys are good AFAIC and the goods about them far out weight the bads.
I had a bad experience with the other sydney store once... its gunna happen from time to time and its just how the store deals with it that matters.

to the thread starter: you really wont regret a 8" dob, trust me. I have one and ive not turned back. it fits easy in my astra and as Ballaratdragons said, it take 5 mins to set up.... but he is slow. it only takes 1 for me! its really that easy.
you get given 2 eyepieces as part of the package and often they will trow in a couple more (this is at andrews). one of the first things you should buy is a cheshire collimator to align the mirrors, this is pretty much necesary but only costs $30 fromthe same place... maybe you can con them into throwing one in

bintel sell the exact same scope, and while its more expensive they give the scope a collimate and checkover for you before you buy it. I think they are $100 more...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:37 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Dave's advice is absolutely correct, the 8" dob with the cheshire eyepiece and you are off and running.

Of course you will need a planisphere, red torch, binoculars, chair (don't want a case of dobber's back now do we), warm clothes (remember you are mostly just sitting out there so you get cool on all but the warmest nights), mossie repellant (kinda explains itself), a thermos of coffee/tea/whiskey and a cardboard box to carry it all around in So factor these into the budget, especially the cardboard box.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM
RussellH

Also checkout my thread just below this one, about scope advice. The guys gave me lots of good info there, and my 8" GSO from Andrews should be arriving today.

I'd steer clear of the Saxon if I were you. I assume it'd be very similar to my Tasco 11TR (114mm) that I bought years ago, and eventually sold (after warning the guy what it was like, I felt guilty really). The images were muddy, it wobbled every time I tried to focus, and I could never get the EQ mount lined up properly anyway. I'm sure a lot of that was probably my inexperience, but now I'm older & wiser, I know I've at least set myself to start at an affordable, yet decent quality option, which I can expand on in the future if I want to.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:57 AM
bono

useful stuff!

So a DOB 8" it will be hey. Thanks for all that very useful advice. I will do some shopping around then. Can you let me know what specs (focal length/aperture) is best for an under $500 one? Do I need to clean the lenses frequently?

I guess there is only 2 disadvantages of a DOB I can see

1. I will frequently need to explain to others that refractors (as seen on fraser and countless other tv shows) are not as cool as they make them out to be.

2. I might need to frequently explain to the authorities that it is not a missile launcher and will need to carry an invoice from Andrews or Bintel with me at all time to justify perhaps.

Before I go buy, I will take your advice in joining a star group first. What's with all the star groups these days, the information on their website seems so outdated. Can anyone recommend a good group closest to Sydney CBD holding an amateur/beginner session in the coming weeks/month?

Jono
Old 03-11-2005, 12:21 PM
rumples riot
Who knows

Jono, I also think for that price the Dob is your best bet. Good luck with your purchase and welcome to astronomy.