Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-12-2004, 08:02 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: Celestron 80mm f7.5 ED Refractor

Mark Hodson is one busy bee! He has produced a nice review of the Celestron 80mm f7.5 ED Refractor. Read all about it at the IceInSpace Reviews page, and discuss your thoughts here.

Celestron 80mm f7.5 ED Refractor

Thanks once again Mark, going above and beyond to take the time to write this review.

If anyone else would like to contribute a review, it can be of anything, telescopes, mounts, accessories, eyepieces, books, software etc, then please just let me know via PM or email.
Old 15-12-2004, 02:14 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

nice review... saturn @ 40 degrees.... what time were you up till?!!!
Old 15-12-2004, 05:32 PM
mch62 (Mark)

Left Graemes about 11ish went home to sort out a small problem I thought i had with the scope and process some pics I think 3.30am
Old 15-12-2004, 09:41 PM
beren

Thanks Mark {and Graeme}, looks like a good buy ,good point about the cradle/diagonal/2 inch eyepieces {my skywatcher refractors cradle is very close to its limit in travel}. You should see the colour fringing on bright land objects using the f/5 refractor , crikey play Jimi hendrixs Purple haze and you get the idea.
Old 16-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Raymond

Nice review, Mark.

I did a similar visual and photo review myself last week when I got one Celestron 80ED on loan from local dealer for testing. At roughly the same time, I got my purchaserd Orion 80ED (actually two OTAs, one for me and one for my friend).

Celestron rightly classifies their 80ED as spotting scope, since their OTA is a shorter than Orion's OTA. Therefore, even with Celestron's supplied T-adapter, you can just reach focus when the R&P focuser is completely racked out without any space for you try focus back and forth. You need an extension tube (I use Kenko extension tube set, but other extension tube might fit as well). Orion OTA is longer and therefore focusing with their supplied T-adapter leaves more space for you to confirm focus.

While the defocus star on axis is concentric and very respectable, one thing I also notice in addition to your comments is that both Orion and Celestron 80ED show some elongation of defocused (both in or out of focus) stars near the edge, ie coma around the corners. At least for my Orion 80ED, the coma is a bit slightly better than Celestron but the difference is not very big. One probably needs a coma corrector (I have TV Paracor on hand and Baader Celestron MPCC on order) but I have not yet tried them in the field for astrophotography.

Another astro friend and I tried Celestron 80ED with Canon 300D last week on M42 and other DSOs. The stars were pin-point for most of the central portion of the image and CA was very acceptable and better than expected for this price-range. However, you need longer exposure for F7.5. I have not tried focal reducer but believe that either AP or TV reducers will help to shorten the exposure time.

What both Orion and Celestron 80ED excel is through terrestial viewing with miminal CA. View is crisp and pleasing. There will be some yellow/green halo when you look at very bright objects such as street Mercury lamps, more noticeable when you view bright objects and move your eyes around slightly. But you don't look at bright objects that often.

Clear skies !

Raymond Tse, Hong Kong.
Orion 80ED,
Apogee RA-88-SA
TEC140(on order)
CZ12.5-inch Dob

Last edited by Raymond; 16-12-2004 at 01:19 AM.
Old 16-12-2004, 06:20 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey Raymond, welcome to the forums, thanks for signing up!

Your review is great for additional information, thanks for taking the time to post it. For the price it sounds like a pretty good scope, if you've already got a mount to put it on.